Lets talk shorter stocks for the M4.

h.bowman

We shortened the stock on our M4.

First, start with a solid pistol grip stock, not the skeleton kind. Then remove the stock and butt pad and fill the back of the stock with Bondo or something like that. Now you have a solid stock like a wooden stock. We took the Bondo-filled stock down to our nearest gunsmith who charged us $85 to cut 1-1/2" off the back and fit the shortened stock with a Pachmyer Decelerator pad, all ground down and neat and factory-looking.

It worked very well, but now after a few years the bad seems to be getting loose. That can probably be fixed with longer screws or even some glue.

This is easy to do with an M4 because there is never any need to access the hardware inside the back of the stock.

I put a Speed Feed stock from an M1S90, on my M4. It's the shortest "tactical" version. The stock was cheap, like $30.00 From CDNN.

The recoil spring tube on the M4 is wider than the M1 tube, so it requires some work on the stock. I used a cheap brake cylinder hone, wrapped in 80 grit sand paper, and an electric drill to open up the hole in the stock. It took quite awhile, but with better tools, I think it would go quick.

Mounted the stock with a couple of washers, and a metric bolt, cut to fit. The only down side, is that to remove the stock, you have to take the butt plate off, and remove the bolt. Eliminating the quick change feature.

Not as good looking as the factory stock, but very functional.

IMG_1080.jpg

I put a Speed Feed stock from an M1S90, on my M4. It's the shortest "tactical" version. The stock was cheap, like $30.00 From CDNN.

The recoil spring tube on the M4 is wider than the M1 tube, so it requires some work on the stock. I used a cheap brake cylinder hone, wrapped in 80 grit sand paper, and an electric drill to open up the hole in the stock. It took quite awhile, but with better tools, I think it would go quick.

Mounted the stock with a couple of washers, and a metric bolt, cut to fit. The only down side, is that to remove the stock, you have to take the butt plate off, and remove the bolt. Eliminating the quick change feature.

IMG_1080.jpg

thankyou for a very infomative and good job on your stock project,,,theres another member on this forum named d,,he's smart like that too,,maybe ya''ll are distant.

Nice work nimslow, I know it is tough working with only the tools available, but man, the personal satisfaction you get from solving a problem is the best reward. Nice looking job, and if you can do it with the speedfeed, than it can be done with other stocks.