What to get?

yote

Hello, I hope it's alright that I post this question here I was unsure were i was suppose to post this so am sorry if it's in the wrong area. Any way I plan on joining a Police Academy soon and well i'd like to get a new shotgun I was planning on using my winchester 1300 camp defender or my Remington 870 but I have a hard time shooting at paper targets because I can really feel the recoil unlike when am out in the woods. I am a very small framed guy and well a 12ga can take a beating to me I was curious which gun would most likley be best for self defense I was looking at Either the M4 or the superNova, so if anyone could tell me there thoughts or tell me off that would be great, thanks

(I was looking more towards a semi-auto even with the simple fact i've used pump actions more.)

From a recoil standpoint the M4 should serve you well, please bear in mind these are not inexpensive shotguns but worth the money if you shoot a lot. There are lots others here more experienced than I in regard to the M4. From what I have seen in this forum there are also lots of Nova's set up for personal defense, based on the pump action versus gas I am sure the M4 would be lighter on the recoil.

1600 just seems like a lot for a shotgun but I guess if my life was to depend on it price shouldn't matter.

Anything else you can tell me about the M4, heh sorry I just like doing researching before going out and buying a new firearm.

Here was my thinking:

1) Definitely wanted something a cut above a Rem or Mossberg pump!

2) Agree that an M4 is pricey (but that very well may be a perfect reflection of its' value)

3) Bought an unfired M1 off the used rack for $600 that had been hanging around in someone' safe until they "had to have an M4" says the store owner.

Since then I've noticed several more "as new" M1s in my local area on the used racks - all for less than $7-750. This seems like a particularly good value for a shotgun that was "top dog" for a couple of decades. Now for someone really wanting an M4 - get it. I've spent that much on other guns. But for someone comparing any number of $5-600 dollar shotguns to an M4, what about this as a compromise?

Is the shotgun a requirement for the academy?? Or is this for personal defense? Most of our local LE use Rem 870's and other assorted pumps (Mossy's included) as they are not expensive and extremely reliable. WIth proper training, you can cycle those things fast. BUT, with high power loads it will hurt your shoulder more than the Benelli M4. Also, for LE, pumps handle the nonlethal stuff, I don't have any experience with the M4 handling those types of rounds. I have an M4 for personal defense because I can put optics & stuff on it like our warriors do and it functions the same. I like the idea of less perceived recoil too and it delivers the payload as fast as I can pull the trigger. I am defending a family with small children so I will not let any goofball get past the entrypoint so the M4 was well worth the investment. I own an 870, but the M4 is THE home defense weapon for me. Since many of my LE acquainances train with 870's for their job, they are comfortable with it at home, so it is ultimately what you're comfortable with. This is my story and I'm stickin to it, your mileage may vary. Hope this doesn't contribute to the confusion.

1600 just seems like a lot for a shotgun but I guess if my life was to depend on it price shouldn't matter.

Anything else you can tell me about the M4, heh sorry I just like doing researching before going out and buying a new firearm.

The M4 is the only Benelli I have experience with and the recoil is nominal. I can fire Rotweil MP 1oz slugs and win supreme 12pellet 00 buck one handed with no problum (holding the barrel up with one hand is not easy however). Anyway, I understand this is the case with all of Benelli's semi-autos, and therefore, unless you are planing on hanging alot of jewlery on your scattergun I would go with an M1 or M3. The gun is cheaper, the parts are cheaper and more available. And those two shotguns are considered "sporting arms" by the batfe so you can put a pistol grip and fourty round lithum powered drum mag on it if you want (and can make one).

On the other hand, if you crave a M4 there is only one way to handle it

(actualy 2 ways, the other is do what M1014 did and buy two of everything Benelli makes (except motercycles....I think))

regards-d

On the other hand, if you crave a M4 there is only one way to handle it

(actualy 2 ways, the other is do what M1014 did and buy two of everything Benelli makes (except motercycles....I think))

regards-d

What comes on the motercycles? M4? Pump action would be tough on 2 wheels:D

THE primary difference between M2 and M4 is that M2 is inertia driven action; M4 is gas driven. Since adding stuff on the gun changes it's mass, it may alter the functioning of inertia systems. Some have said that even holding the weapon 'loosely' can cause cycling problems. (you can search the forums for these issues but at the moment my search function doesn't like "M2" put in it???)

For the M4, changing it's mass (ie adding cool stuff) won't affect the cycling of the gas system. Plenty of folks with M2's out there with no problems, but I just like what the USMC likes. I'm sure there are other differences but I believe the cycling mechanism to be the major difference.

As for the collapsible stock issue, how can I put this in a few words....too many morons in charge. I guess you can hide the gun with a collapsed stock easier under that long coat in 110 degree desert heat. But hey, it's a dry heat.

The quick answer is to get the M4. Use it on the job or as a personnel defense weapon, you won't regret the purchase.

Before the M1014, their was the S90M1 in defense configuration, imported by Heckler & Koch. During police academy shotgun trainging, their were officers from 7 towns represented, and of course the ferderal agency I belonged to. I had my S90M1 and all the others had mostly 870's and a few Winchester pumps. As the afternoon progressed and each person had fired over 70 rounds of buckshot and slugs, many of the pumps started to fail. Many officers started to flinch with each shot and their was some mild cussing heard. As for me, I was blasting away as fast as the range officer could blow his whistle. I even loaned out my shotgun to some of the officers so they could qualify. Over the years as we qualified semi-annually, I noticed the shooters using the pumps still had difficulties. Let's face it, unless you target shoot and/or hunt with a pump, you just don't learn to handle your pump instinctively and shooting 20 rounds of buckshot, twice a year isn't real training. Can you picture yourself in a real life high-stress shooting incident? Will you remember to pump the slide? Will you short stroke the pump and jam the gun? With the M4, you load the first round and then concentrate on your job and staying alive, not on working the pump correctly. I'm sure many folks will tell you they can out pump any sem-auto shotgun. Those folks also live with their pumps and shoot them all the time. Will you? Most officers dust their pumps off twice per year for qualifications. Get the M4 and shoot it often, knowing you have the best piece of equipment currently availble in a shotgun.