gettin ready for the season

sbeIIfan

Question. 3 1/2 inch shell, Hevi-shot # 4's for decoying ducks with a cylinder choke? Or should I go with Hevi-Shot # 6's?

Is that a little over kill? How do you think it pattern and do for early season ducks?

Another question what decoy set ups do you guys do? I usually just throw my decoys out their.

I'd go with 6's if using hevi-shot.

For decoying birds, the choke selection sounds good.

My setup depends on the wind direction and speed, the location of the blind (if hunting from one), and what's in season.

There are a number of variables to be considered when arranging decoys. What appears to us to be random in nature is rarely random to the brids.

http://www.ducks.org/Hunting/Decoys/111/DecoyLandingPage.html

Question. 3 1/2 inch shell, Hevi-shot # 4's for decoying ducks with a cylinder choke? Or should I go with Hevi-Shot # 6's?

Is that a little over kill? How do you think it pattern and do for early season ducks?

Another question what decoy set ups do you guys do? I usually just throw my decoys out their.

I like both of the HS loads you mention.

For decoys, I use up to 1500 in the flooded rice. Lots of different patterns depending on the blind location, but little changing during the season.

For small hunts, I'll go with 24-48 dekes, put out mostly in pairs by species.

• 3 weeks later...

for decoying (in your face ducks) 2 3/4 or 3" is all you need. in #4 and 5. i never liked 6's they work but i allways eneded up with lots of pellets in the meat. the 4 and 5 seam to go through better.

i will with a pump or auto toss in a 3.5" for the long last shot.

if your talking decoing but 35 yards or more then all 3.5" as listed.

everyone is talking about Hevyshot. does anyone use steel? I hate spending the money on hevyshot. I just started last december hunting with the sbe, had an 11-87 before and found that #2 steel 3.5" with pretty much any choke works pretty good. Any one have a recommendation for the sbe with steel? I'm sure someone does!!:rolleyes:

Dude:

2-3/4" #6 Hevi Shot at decoy ranges will outperform 3-1/2" #6's in steel. I bought some 2.75 by mistake and tried it anyway and it blew my mind. It is like shooting lead. I killed two teal at 25 yards on a passing shot with one shell two seasons ago!

If you use a browning with invector plus, go with the skeet choke otherwise Improved Cylinder is the ticket. Most people who hunt at decoy range over choke their shotgun.

I would definitely go with #6's. You want to spray a pattern out there.

2.75's are easy on that shoulder as well.

If you shoot steel, I would definitely go with 3.5's but with the mighty Hevi Shot, 3 would be the most for me.

everyone is talking about Hevyshot. does anyone use steel? I hate spending the money on hevyshot. I just started last december hunting with the sbe, had an 11-87 before and found that #2 steel 3.5" with pretty much any choke works pretty good. Any one have a recommendation for the sbe with steel? I'm sure someone does!!:rolleyes:

I have had great luck with Drylock Number 4's in 1-1/4.

I shoot only steel shot. IC choke with Winchester Experts #2 shot - 3"magnums, seem to work well all around for pass or decoying birds. If the price is right Remington Sportsmans in the same load.

Dicks ran a special recently on Xperts, 4 box case with a $15 rebate = $6.25 per box after rebate. I bought 2 four box cases.

Late in the season we get a lot of Mallards coming down and then we have even gone to BB on decoying Mallards, that really puts then in their place.

We used 2 3/4 #6 Steel (Federals) on Teal this past weekend with devastating results.

One of my all round favorite loads is 3" #3's in steel. We've shot everything from Mallards to geese with them with great results. We also shoot a lot of #2's in 3". Mostly Federals and Winchesters.