22 LR rimfire

The_Gun_Guy

I realized that a 22 LR is cheap, easy to clean, and can be fired like mad without worrying about much.

And I never even considered to get one! So I have no experience in purchasing rimfire, so I thought I would consult you guys. Any recomendation would be appreciated.

I have looked at a winchester lever action model 9422 traditional tribute. I trust winchester a lot with there ammo and there guns But I am open to suggestions.

Your right about one thing GG and that is 22's are cheap (generally speaking) However they are a pain in the asss to clean, and they jam more than any other firearm I've been around. Its a pretty unreliable round. The reasons they jam more than any other gun is numerous but two reasons are the round itself is weak so it doesn't have much cycling power, secondly the gun being used is not clean. You can get higher velocity rounds that help with cycling (if you go semi-suto). Also make sure your gun is 100% clean. You can shoot for cheap with 22lr's but you might also get frustrated. The above isn't in stone by any means its just what my experience has shown me.

I've heard a lot good about the Thompson ... even thought of getting one. I see 22's as mostly fun guns; although I have one I use just for serious working on rifle shooting technique, so I don't beat myself up putting a hundred rounds through a .300 magnum. Consider getting whatever suits your fancy. Or ... they're cheap, so you might decide to get something like the very accurate Thompson for serious working on your rifle shooting technique and a lever action for plinking & bottle busten. Personally ... if I were going to choose just one, I'd research and buy the most accurate production model out there ... disregarding the exotic expensive stuff. As far as jambs go; I have a Remington and a Browning that I can't remember ever jambing and an old Marlin lever action which jambs fairly often. No knock on Marlin, I suspect it's my particular gun. But, for some reason jambs aren't as scary in a 22 as in big guns.

If you're looking fo a semi-auto, check out the Ruger 10/22's. They are reasonably accurate and reliable out of the box and the basic model is around $160 at Wal Mart. They also have a lot of after-market parts available and are very easy to work on and upgrade.

If you're looking for a nice quality bolt-action rifle with very good accuracy-at a decent price-check out the CZ model 452. They are available from most dealers for $350 or less. $298 is the best price I've seen lately.

I like my Marlin lever action too. I should take it to a gunsmith to correct whatever is making it jam because the gun is a lot of fun. My cousin gave it to me just before he left for JFK's "Bay of Pigs Invasion" @ Guantanamo Bay, Cuba back in 1963. (He was a Navy Seebee) (Cuban Missile Crisis) I was just a kid. I thought he gave it to me because he thought he might not make it out alive ... it just occurred to me that maybe he gave it to me because it jammed. LOL

fw707 I agree with your choice. We ent several 22's and the 10/22 is the most reliable in that price range. Only downside is its kinda tricky to chamber the first round, once you know how to its a pice of cake. It uses a rotary type magazine which is fairly reliable. The 10/22 has a bunch of high cap. mags for after sale. The most reliable is the 10 shot rotary mag it comes with. If you get high cap mag's stay away from those constructed of plastic. This holds true for most firearms, rifles or pistols. If it's platic with a steel liner thats better. The best are those constructed entirely of steel. Lot of choices dpends on how much you want to spend.

I like the ruger 10/22, you can get parts ANYWHERE for them and you can customize it to what you want ( what your budget will allow).

Anything from super lightweight carbon fiber barrels to heavy fluted, stainless steel, target bull barrels.

The best part is you can do this yourself without needing to send it to a gunsmith which saves you a ton of $$$$$$ !!!

The barrel is held on with two allen screws and you CAN'T mess up installing, or removing one. The trigger is by no means " fantastic" but you can upgrade those as well, other than that pretty darn accurate out of the box. The Marlin 60 is nice if you like the tube feed setup, ( also accurate out of the box, and the trigger is not so great on those either ).

I havn't shot the Thompson that was posted but it looks nice. I imagine the parts are not quite as readily available as the rugers, so if Thompson dropped it from its line it might make parts a little harder to come by IMO.

If your not into the semi auto thing on your rifles the Winchester lever action you are refering to is nice especially the $1900 dollar version! Marlin makes a Golden 39a that is a "traditional" lever gun also.

You might check out some of the "convertible" guns as well. They allow you to swap a barrel and shoot 22LR, 17 HMR , 17HM2, and 22Mag also.

EAB makes a pretty cool conversion for the Ruger 10/22 that consists of a barrel and a heavier bolt handle and then you can shoot the 17 mach 2 Which is much faster than a 22lr, and much cleaner ( no lead/wax ) You can swap back and forth between the two calibers without ever needing to take your gun to a gunsmith, simply swap the parts.

For those of you are that may not know what the 17mach 2 is check it out. The ballistic tip explodes gophers like you wouldnt believe!

Sorry, I really need to work on the length of my posts!!

17M2bluprnt.jpg

[ 06-14-2005, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Coloradoryan ]

Coloradoryan as long as posting info. that is useful (to anyone, for any purpose) I don't care how long the post is. Your post was a good one and I liked the side by side comp. of the diff. loads and the diagram. I've got a couple books on the history of rounds, modern rounds, etc. it had all kinds of cool info plus diagrams giving exact dimensions of rounds. I have people confuse the 17 Rem. with the 17 HMR, and the 17 HM2. The rem. is centerfire and has been around for some time, while the other 2 are rim, yet the other two can't be shot out of the same gun either, HMR basically a necked down 22 WMR while M2 is a necked down 22 LR. Are we confused yet? Anyways both rounds have a velocity that is literally twice the speed of sound (hence the M2's name) the HMR is 2.5 times faster than the speed of sound! Over 2550 fps. that's remarkable velocity.

fw 707 thats a nice setup.

Oh p.s. sorry for the long post.....heheheh

Now see I don't think it is such a good idea to hunt any kind of game with rimfire I mean look at the size of what your using, its so small. I could only use centerfire cartridges for hunting with a big shell and high velocity and energy.

Just for reference the speed of sound in controlled enviorment with the temp at 30 degrees celcius it is 1180 feet per second, or 340 meters per second. and the lower the temperature the higher the velocity its a change, it's about 1 m/s for every 2 degree shift. and I wont go into humidity, what I will say is that higher humidity higher velocity. so say in Florida the speed of sound is probably about 40,000 feet per second smile.gif . The point is that the correct asumption would be that the .17 travels at about 2.2 times the speed of sound. it uses a very very very fine grain of powder that will allow more burning from a compact little shell.

Gotta disagree with you GunGuy when you say "Now see I don't think it is such a good idea to hunt any kind of game with rimfire I mean look at the size of what your using, its so small. I could only use centerfire cartridges for hunting with a big shell and high velocity and energy." Obviously your not hunting water buffalo with a 17 HMR or mach 2. fw707 said "small game" small being the operative word. As for "look at the size of what your using, its so small." Our military's primary rifle round is 5.56 cal. or .223 in millimeters. The .223 is a small bullet but we're all aware of what it can do. My buddy sent me an .mpg of a groundhog being hit with a 17 HMR and it literally blew the groundhog into dozens of piece's. If the groundhog weren't a rodent and was small game and had some meat one might want to eat than this would be a problem. Now if you were to shoot a rabbit with the intention of eating the meat you could do so with the 17 just using a diff. load and taking a head shot. The 17's a great varmit, small game, highly accurate plinking gun. Yet it's so small....

TGG, the 17HMR is totally adequate for small game up to and including groundhogs, jack rabbits, and foxes. With proper shot placement it is adequate for coyote.

The 17HM2 is my favorite round for gray or fox squirrels. The flat trajectory makes it easy to make a head shot at longer ranges than a .22 long rifle.

Don't underestimate the rounds because of the smaller size. The velocity and bullet design makes up for what it lacks in size.

But the closest I have ever shot a varmit was about 250 yds away, (I haven't hunted varmit very much). And now a 223 or 22-250 will still smoke out at that range, the high velocity .17 HMR maybe, but I would never try anything like that with a .22 LR. I shot that at the range once and at 100 yds the drop was terrible. And If you may be able to calculate the drop for that range but even if it hits its target youll end up tracking unless it was a beetle. And at 500 yds it will leave a nasty welt.

Of course most of that statement above was exaggeration.

I have to agree with the 10/22 for 22LR rifle. You can upgrade that rifle all day long and you can do it cheap (I recommend the Hogue overmolded stock).

Ammo is the key to shooting the 22. I have a Ruger Mark II Target (pistol) and it will only shoot certain ammo without jamming. I only use CCI Mini Mags with that one.

My 10/22 loves the hyper-velocity CCI Stingers, but will shoot pretty much anything without a fuss.

Hey tucker before you go and comment get your facts strait.

On another note I have already bought the Ruger 10/22 a few days ago, my pickup date is june 28th.

It looks nice, I looked at an exploded drawing of one and the stock is very simple. So it will be easier for me to make a laminated stock.

Tucker, what facts did you get crooked, bent, misaligned, incorrect or upside down? Should your post have contained Scope or Listerine mouthwash?

as for making the laminated stock, I would use Quaker oatmeal (original) to hold my cherrios together. Pack mould tightly. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, let stand for 5 minutes before serving, excuse me, opening. do not use oil to finish it makes things soggy.