Oil for NOVA in extreme cold?

LabradorGuy

I live in Goose Bay, Labrador. I just bought a NOVA pump as a general purpose shotgun. I like partridge hunting and duck hunting. I also need some serious knockdown power for bears (black and polar) so I always carry a few slugs in my pocket just in case. Labrador is a land of extremes. Very dry some days, wet the next. In summer the temperature can get up to +35 C and in winter as low as -45 C. Sorry for the metric temps but I have no experience with farenheit... hey, I'm Canadian :) My question is, what is the best oil to use in the pump action for this environment? In the winter I'll have the gun in a scabbard on the side of my Skidoo so it'll get very cold. I'm concered that a standard oil will thicken in the extreme cold and gum up the action. That's not what I want to have happen when my engine breaks down and the big white bears spot me on the horizon. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.militec.com/ They claim that this stuff has been to the North Pole and used buy a group of satisfied customers!:) I will be ordering some myself really soon.

I have a few bottles of this that my son sent me from Iraq as they use it on their weapons. Militec sends it to them free if you ask. I had 4 cases shipped to his group and he sent me some home. I have applied it to all my guns here and it works very well, follow the instuction when you get it, it will take 2-3 applications though. Its more of a metal conditioner, but when its -30 here when I am out shooting Ive never had a jamb up or frozen action.

He has not had any jamb ups on his machine guns since using either.

I've been in Alaska for almost 25 years and have tried just about every lube/metal treatment available. I like the Miltech product. It is excellent in dry, dusty and dry cold conditions and does pretty damn well in the our temperate rainforests as well. As with many things in life, it comes down to a matter of personal preference (and I carry a 1oz bottle of miltech in my survival kit).

-x

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to put in an order for Miltech this week.

A quick question: I'm assuming that before I apply it I'll have to de-oil all of the parts. Does anyone know the best way to do this? Thanks.

Any good gun solvent will do the trick. I have used paint thinner, kerosene, spray brake cleaner with absolutly no issues, dont get this stuff on any wood parts though. I like the spray brake cleaner for the trigger groups, inside the actions, bolts and areas I cant get my toothbrushes into, it dries fairly fast over the rest though.