Why are NOVA barrels so hard to buy?

LabradorGuy

I'm trying to buy an extra barrel for my new NOVA. I currently have the stock 28" for hunting birds but I'd like to have the short 18.5" barrel with sights for protection from bears when I'm working in the woods or out on the ice. I plan to shoot almost exclusively slugs from the 18.5, but I don't want a rifled barrel because I want the ability to shoot shotshells as well.

Here is my problem.... where can I buy this barrel? It's listed as an accessory on the benelli web page, but there seems to be no way to buy it. My local gun shop is convinced that it doesn't exist. I looked around online and anywhere that I found it says that it's out of stock. This is really frustrating. Why doesn't benelli sell barrels online? Also, why are the NOVA barrels almost the same price as a new gun? I was hoping to have one gun in the case with the extra barrel tucked in alongside, but now I'm thinking I'll need a second gun. This is very frustrating. Thanks for any help.

Well I wish I could tell you... I have been looking for weeks, local shops, internet and found nothing so far.

I sure hope someone from Benelli is reading this one!!!

Here's my answer: I am selling or trading in all my Benelli's and buying either Remingtons or Brownings. I am sick and tired of being lead astray by them. If they can't produce the barrel they are offering as an option, then give the okay to Hastings or some other company to make them.

You might get lucky and find one, but I doubt it.

Regards,

I really hope the Benelli people are reading this. I love my NOVA, it's a wonderful gun for the difficult environment where I live, but unless I can easily get the parts I need, it'll be the last Benelli I buy.

Has anyone every heard of any aftermarket barrels for this gun?

You have to order the barrel from a Benelli dealer and they will pull it from the assembly line, I went through this problem also. The cost will be about the same as a new gun and there was a 6 month wait when I was looking. Ithaca makes slug barrels for the NOVA but that's all that I know of.

I'm trying to buy an extra barrel for my new NOVA. I currently have the stock 28" for hunting birds but I'd like to have the short 18.5" barrel with sights for protection from bears when I'm working in the woods or out on the ice. I plan to shoot almost exclusively slugs from the 18.5, but I don't want a rifled barrel because I want the ability to shoot shotshells as well.

Here is my problem.... where can I buy this barrel? It's listed as an accessory on the benelli web page, but there seems to be no way to buy it. My local gun shop is convinced that it doesn't exist. I looked around online and anywhere that I found it says that it's out of stock. This is really frustrating. Why doesn't benelli sell barrels online? Also, why are the NOVA barrels almost the same price as a new gun? I was hoping to have one gun in the case with the extra barrel tucked in alongside, but now I'm thinking I'll need a second gun. This is very frustrating. Thanks for any help.

I would call Benelli on this one and ask them for a dealers number closest to your local, 1-301-283-6981 or pop them an email? price alone would keep me away on shorter one!!

That's very interesting about pulling the barrels from the assembly line. I guess the good news is that you get a real factory barrel. You would think that Benelli would see the demand is out there and expand production. That would drop the cost on spare barrels enough that they could actually sell them. Just think about how much money Winchester and Remington make from selling spare barrels. Sound like a good business plan to me.

Anyone want to start a new business with me manufacturing aftermarket Benelli barrels? :)

Some of you have answered your own question.

The demand is just not there. If it were, the aftermarket guys would be all over it. My local gunshop has a few spare Remington barrels that have been collecting dust for over ten years. Browning semi-auto barrels are scarce and $400-$500. Beretta barrels are equally scarce and in the $400-$550 range.

Sure, it sucks for those few who want a new barrel, but it is what it is, not many folks buy extra barrels.

Benelli should stock barrels at their office and sell directly to the public via MC/Visa or money order. This would take care of the issue completely.

I run a US division of an Italian manufacturing company. Parts are one of the toughest things to stock. 99% of the parts we stock just sit here collecting dust. They are expensive because individual parts get market up as any regular item would. An item made up of parts is market up after it is fully assembled. Parts have to be individually packaged, cased, and accounted for as an additional sku.

But, barrels are not really the same thing are a small part. It's well known that folks want slug barrels to go with their longer barrels and vice versa.

Come on Benelli, get with the program :)

Its not just nova barrels,last year i bought a new SBE2 and ordered a slug barrel for it at Dicks sporting goods.Was told it would be about two weeks.Nine months later and a bunch of emails to a lady named Laurie McGowan in Benellis customer service,still no barrel.Laurie said it was Dicks fault because they don't order directly,their orders go through a distribution center and the order #s did not match up.Dicks on the other hand said it was benellis fault and that they tried to get ahold of Benelli but they would not return their calls.Needless to say i thought the problem was dicks so i cancelled my order and placed it with another gun shop that said it would be ten days.Its been over two months now and the gun shop says they have had a call into the Benelli rep for two weeks now with no response.All i know is it ruined my hunting season last year and if i don't my barrel by this season,i'll be selling this gun and going back to Remington myself.Guaranteed .

:cool:

Thanks for the info Mudhen, that's very interesting about gun barrels not selling well. It's kind of surprising really. My way of thinking is that a second (different) barrel gives you two guns for the price of one and a half. But maybe most people would rather have two guns. Also interesting is the idea of markup on parts vs. assembled goods. I hadn't really thought of that before, good point. However, I still think that for the sake of a little more production at the Benelli factory, and with direct sales from their website, Benelli could make some cash from those few people like me who want spare barrels. It should be pretty easy for them to set this up, just look at how slick their website is. I still think this would be good business for them for minimal work. I know it would cut out the small store suppliers, but they're still going to be selling complete guns so I don't see them losing that much business. Any thoughts?

There are quite a few people on other forums as well looking for Benelli barrels, so there is atleast some demand. I would think anyone selling quality replacement barrels for the Nova's would make quite a bit of money! As for Dick's I work there and I know that the workers in our "Lodge" hardly know anything about shooting. Unfortunately everyone wants to work the hunting/fishing section because there is nowhere near the responsibilities as the rest of the store so every non-qualified person wants to work there. I sure hope it was Dick's that screwed up but from the way it sounds I don't know...

• 1 year later...

I bought a Super Nova back in '06 w/the intent of owning a smoothbore for the birds and a rifled slug w/a cantilever for deer slug hunting--I spent over 1 1/2 years trying to track down a barrel--over that year Benelli's website kept advertising a 24" cantilevered rifled slug barrel in Timber HD, but they were "still in production," and "still under contract" when I would contact customer service. Eventually, after over 1 year, they cantilevered rifled slug barrel finally disappeared from the website, and finally, a 500 dollar barrel is available, but only w/open rifle sights. When I had originally purchased the shotgun, the cantilevered barrels were supposed to be around 260--quite a change--I've essentially given up on the "one gun" philosophy that I was excited about and will be using two guns--the Super Nova is a great bird gun, but knowing what I do now I may have gone with a Browning BPS because I know I can get both barrels...

Guest GunCrazyD

not sure who you guys are delaing with but both 20 gauge Nova barrels and 12 gauge Nova slug barrels are in stock at Benelli in the US according to customer service..so maybe you guys need to find a new dealer..cause they are yanking you....no cantilevers..but regular rifle sight barrels are in the US now they say....call Brownells or someone to order one....

Benelli parts seem hard to come by..period. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to own one of their "M" series shotguns. Benelli should make things alot easier for those of us shelling out hard earned cash for their products. Anyway, I saw this post from another forum that may help you out. This post dealt with someone trying to purchase a Comfortech stock for their SuperNova. Maybe this will help you with your shotty. Keep us posted!!

Quote:

"There's a dealer in the small town of Pinckneyville, Illinois that was one of the first Benelli dealers. They still sell a ton of Benelli guns and parts.

Mann & Son (Since 1945) is a full line dealer for several makes, including the Benelli line of shotguns. They're also an authroized Remington repair station. John Mann is the best gunsmith that I've met and is a very helpful guy. You can reach them at 618.357.2911." End Quote.

Hey, you also might try Able Ammo. They seem to stock quite a few Benelli parts. Do a google search..just type in able ammo. When at their website, look for "Accessories". Then go to "Gun Accessories", then "Barrels and Frames". Once there, choose Benelli under Manufacturers. I saw several barrels for the nova/supernova. I would list the direct link, but apparently I am unable to given my few number of posts.