Super Nova Question

dak0ta

Hey All,

I'm left-handed and I'm interested in buying the SuperNova. I know that the safety can be switched to the leftside, but I am curious whether the action release button can also be switched by a gunsmith/Benelli CS. If not, is it still pretty easy to operate the action release by reaching under the trigger guard with the left hand and pushing it up?

Also, can somebody explain exactly how the button on the underside of the fore-end activates the shell stop that allows the chambered round to be removed without releasing the rest of the rounds from the magazine?

dakOta,

I'm left handed, for some things, but I'm right handed and right master eyed so, I shoot from the right shoulder.

I've not tried reversing the safety but it should be easy enough if you want to do it. I think you'll find that the action release lever cannot be altered as it would also require a left-handed trigger group moulding into which the release lever is located. Manipulating the release lever in its current position but from a 'left handed' position reveals no problem or lack of ease in operation - you just have to be a little bit more deliberate in putting your finger across to depress the lever - an easily learned drill. If it really is a problem i.e. you have short fingers or a smallish hand, you might consider having someone (a proper gunsmith) fabricate an extended lever which angles across, under the trigger housing to the left side. Personally, I think that it is a solution to a non-existant problem!

Ah, the magazine stop button! In parts of Europe it seems to be acceptable to carry a pump or auto in a vehicle with the chamber empty and rounds in the magazine for when you are chasing bunnies (in the car) jump out, cycle a round and open fire. Seriously, the idea is that you can easily empty the chamber - leaving the mag. loaded - to facilitate the safe crossing of obstacles and then just drop the loose shell back in the chamber having negotiated the obstacle. The Benelli autos used to claim a similar benefit for their inertia cycling system. They claimed you could rack the action to eject a live shell and the mechanism would not pick up a new round from the mag. it only worked if you actually fired the gun. Obviously, the other reason for doing this is to interchange the type of shell in the breech.

So much for the reason why Benelli are so keen on having a magazine disconnect and back to YOUR QUESTION about how it works. Well, the manual isn't a model of clarity. To eject an unfired (or fired) shell from the chamber and then close the slide without introducing a live round into the breech you do the following;

Press the previously discussed action release lever and gently start pulling the fore-end back. At the same time, put an upward (VERY FIRM) pressure on the mag. stop button. As the fore-end is retracted about one inch / two and a half centimetres the button will pop up with a loud click. You can then let go. Firmly retracting the fore-end to the rear will then eject the shell in the breech. However, pushing the button up has introduced a block in the rearward movement of the fore-end, which now completes its rearward journey slightly short of its 'normal' fully rear position. Examine the rear position of the fore-end with mag. stop button engaged and disengaged and you will see what I mean - it comes to rest about quarter of an inch forward of its normal position. This effectively prevents a shell from coming back out of the magazine and being lifted up and fed into the breech. Its simple and it works. Firmly pushing the fore-end back forward into the locked position disengages the mag. stop button, it pops back down into the flush position.

I hope that you have been able to extract the necessary information from my verbose ramblings! The SN really is an excellent tool and well designed - it's not a best English game gun and makes no pretence to be so.

Happy and safe left handed shooting!

Sorry, nearly forgot, if you are shooting from the left shoulder I assume that you will have already established if you need to remove the stock and flip the deviation plates for a left-shoulder deflection. (See the manual p25).

Once again, all the best

AndyUK

dakOta,

First off, do you have the manual for the SN? If so, turn to p25, if not, you can download the appropriate manual as a .pdf from the Benelli website.

If you are not familiar with checking that a shotgun fits you correctly, my advice would be to go to a clayshooting layout with a QUALIFIED coach and pay them to check that the gun fits you correctly. Alternatively, if you bought the SN new from a good gunshop with a qualified gunsmith they should advise you for free.

Getting your friend, whose cousin's, aunties pet fish once met someone who claimed to know what to do will only make matters worse:D

I can explain how to do the mechanical 'bits' i.e. change the stock on the gun but it is far more difficult to check if it actually fits you correctly without being there. (I've only half finished building the teleporter and having seen The Fly, I'm not keen on completing the job just to beam over there and help:D)

Theoretically, altering the comfortech stock on the SN is easy - you just need the parts! I don't know how easy it is to change the stock parts in the US (or how expensive) also, I'm assuming that it is a comfortech stock?

Lots to think about but once you have a few answers feel free to get back to me and we'll see about sorting the stock fit. I'm sure that there are many other members of the forum who can also help.

I am away for the next week helping to run a public display of historic firearms but I will answer any posts when I return.

Regards

AndyUK

The more firmly you pull back on the pump, the more forceful the ejection. For me, they come out straight to the side or slightly rearwards. You can either smile as yet another case bounces off your nose or, I believe that at one time it was possible to buy and ejection plate which caused the case to be deflected. I suspect that it could end up as a winter evening project . As a leftie I think good shooting glasses are mandatory!

AndyUK

• 2 weeks later...

Sev06,

Have a look at the Benelli catalogue. The European version shows five basic types of barrel available for the SN: Vent rib w/ intenal chokes (plain and cammo.), slug, rifled slug and tactical with sight to match ghost ring receiver sight. Of course, most of these are also available in a variety of lengths.

My experiences are based upon the UK and NOT the USA. Benelli pricing seems to operate on the premise that if you own a Benelli you must have a lot of money! (Which you want to spend on more Benelli 'bits'). Basically, a new Benelli barrel will cost as much as a cheap shotgun.

Also, the barrels do appear to take a long time to arrive - no one keeps stuff in stock anymore. Expect three months to six months, assuming that you are able to place an order.

Of course the USA is a much bigger market and therefore, second hand and third party manufactured barrels are more likely to be available.

Best regards

AndyUK