SL80 123...Steel Shot?

JSM

Pheasant season is just around the corner. This is the first time I've been faced with the prospect of having to shoot steel shot. Do any of you experts out there know whether the older Benelli barrells are compatible with steel? It's a full choke barrell.

JSM

Whether the barrel can handle it or not is one thing, but shooting steel shot through a full choke will be. Most gun manufacturers do not reccomend shooting steel through anything tighter than mod, and believe me mod will shoot a very tight pattern with steel shot.

Steel shot typically shoots at least one pattern tighter than lead. If your barrel is a fixed full choke you could probably get it reamed to a mod or IC, around here you typically pay about $40 to have this done - way cheaper than a new barrel.

A call to CS would be a good choice to see exactly what your options are.

Thanks for the replies. I was aware that most newer "screw in" full chokes will not allow steel shot. I suppose the same would probably apply to the older fixed chokes. Anyway, according to my wife, I have too many other field guns to choose from. She just doesn't understand just how much I really like my old Benelli!

JSM