Slugs only

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

As most of southern Ontario is Shotgun only hunting, and from what I understand alot of the USA is as well, I would love to see Benelli make a lefty Slug gun.

I currently own a SBE II in left hand and wish I could have a rifled barrel for it.

Alas nobody supports the lefties out there.

Maybe we should all get together and call Benelli CS and complain that there are no lefty rifled barrels.

What do you guys think?

The Browning BPS is ambidextrous (bottom eject, tang safety) and is avaliable in a couple of slug configurations.

012239m.jpg

LH SBEII shooters can use a smoothbore barrel and a rifled choke tube, or any one of a number of smoothbore slugs.

I shot a smoothbore slug gun for serveral years when a neighboring county had outlawed rifles.

This was in the 80's, and the accuracy was quite good. I took several deer at over 100 yards.

I grew up in a slug only state (Ohio) and still hunt there every year. The southern portion of Ohio is very similar in terrain to where I hunt with a rifle in central Kentucky. I recently read a report, which I can't site, that stated rifle bullets in general don't travel or ricochet much farther than slugs in wooded areas while fired in hunting conditions. If the data in the article is sound then I would like to see at least the southern porting of the state allow rifles.

Todd -- I have an Ithaca 37 smooth bore that is bottom ejection that will clover leaf at 75 yards. I've never shot a deer with it past 30 yards so I comment on long range effectiveness. Great gun!!!

I LOVE the Ithaca 37! I have a 12 and a 16 and no matter what fancy gun I buy,those two always get their share of blast time.They are the smoothest,fastest pumps I have ever encountered.There are some deals around on them;if you can find one,and the safety can be switched around in 30 min. to have a lefty special.

You can have a great LH slug barrel, you just have to give up a standard barrel. I have a E R Shaw LH Benelli slug barrel that shoots a sub-3"(5 shot), 100 yd, groups all day. The barrel cost me about $300 w/ matte finish.

I hunt Del. and have a 4,000ft drainage ditch(arrow straight) as a property line, a rifle would make it too easy. I love all deer hunting, just have to travel, and pay, to use a rifle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I mainly hunt in an area that has now been allowed to use rifles. You can't beat the accuracy or the energy of a rifle to a shotgun at ranges over 100 yards. My shotgun did good up to about 75 yards, after that it was a guess at best!! So I'm very glad to have picked up a new rifle to use instead of a distance limited weapon with a rainbow trajectory, such as the shotgun.

I live here in Iowa and everybody knows its a shotgun state. I shoot a Supernova slug gun. I bought it yesterday. I shot SSt's and Core lokts at 100 yards with open sights. Each produced 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups! Used to have original Nova slug, but sold it. it loved buckhammers and lightfields. But my SuperNove is better. But no, I would prefer slug guns over rifles just because I love them.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone here inform me on the difference between shooting slugs out of a smooth bore barrel and rifled (besides distance)? I've read mixed reviews with some people saying they refuse to shoot any type of slug out of their smooth bore, and then others say it's fine if you use a sabot slug and remove the choke before hand. Basically, I'm trying to decide whether or not it'll be worth it to spend $210 for a Benelli rifled cantilever slug barrel for my .12 gauge Nova. :confused:

You can shoot slugs out of any smooth bore shotgun, preferred to have the cylinder choke in. What you sacrafice with the smooth bore is accuracy, the rifled slug barrel will give you consistant results with every shot and allow you to adjust the sights to match the distance you are shooting.

I think yes it would be work the cash for the slug barrel especially if you hunt in a shotgun only state our county.

I've read mixed reviews with some people saying they refuse to shoot any type of slug out of their smooth bore, and then others say it's fine if you use a sabot slug and remove the choke before hand.

You should never shoot a gun without the choke in, a rifled choke tube would yield the best results with sabot slugs.

If you are looking at getting a slug gun for hunting in a shotgun only area, your best bet would be to get a dedicated slug gun with a cantilever barrel or a gun you do not remove the barrel from the receiver on (bolt action or single shot).

Really, it is probably more a matter of how well you shoot and what you use for your field shooting positions and how good (steady, consistent) your shots are that determines any meaningful difference between the smooth bore and the rifled. That you can shoot the rifled bore slightly more accurately off a shooting bench does not mean that you will do so in the field so....any meaningful difference between the smooth bore and rifled in all reality may mean all but nothing. If you test your accuracy targeting (shooting from)your probable type of field shooting positions, this will tell you more than anything else. We spend a lot of time talking accuracy between the two barrel types but reality is, that both are as often as not, very similar in terms of just how well you can hit what you are shooting at, in the general area you are trying to hit. I own three fast twist rifled barrel guns and five smooth bores and it's more a matter of a slightly improved trajectory with the sabot rounds vs the Brenneke type load, than anything else but again, the vast majority of the time, the differences haven't really matter much in the field.

One thing to remember that you get with the smooth bore is versatility......way more. The cost of the sabot rounds is quite a bit more on the whole ....AND I can use buckshot for home defense and Wally World bird shot ....to practice. So, the cost of running a smoothbore, and the fun factor absolutely goes..... to the smooth bore.

And the four Benelli's (three Nova's and a M1 Super 90) I have are all smooth bores which shoot slugs great, buckshot great, and birdshot by the bucket. three of my Benelli's are tactically oriented and one, is actually a dedicated bird gun for Turkey and what not.

Paul