New waders

TMAC

My old rubber hip boots finally developed some leaks and cracks and are beyond repair, so this year and I am looking for full length or waist high waders. I see some are made from different thicknesses of neoprene, canvass, rubber, and a new breathable material.

Temperatures where I live can be in the 70's early season and down below freezing by the season end, we hunt mostly cattail swamp and some inland lakes. I made it this long without using inulated boots, but the older I get the colder the cold feels so some insulation should be considered.

Any advice for or against a particular type would be appreciated.

I also use two pairs of waders. A durable breathable pair for teal and early season and a 5mm neoprene for thos cold days.

These for cold days:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?id=0021566&navCount=0&parentId=cat20614&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=081507wf-home&parentType=index&indexId=cat20614&rid=

I recommend a quality pair of wader pants for the 5mm. Then can be very warm and the wader pants pull sweat away from the skin to keep you dry and warm. On the cold days they are amazing when you have to stand in freezing water. Most of the time I hunt out of boat. I wear wool socks for both.

These for warmer days:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=081507wf-home&rid=&indexId=cat20614&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20614&id=0033344

Sorry about pasting the links. I forgot how to use/link to html on here...

Thanks for the info guys!

I broke down last night and bought a pair of Mad Dog 3mm neoprene waders with 600 grams of insulation in the boot, price was right plus a $10 coupon for Sportsmans Warehouse brought total sale down to $80.

I put on my old hip boots and stood in swimming pool to find the leaks, then marked them and let the boots dry. Tonight I will repair the leaks for the last time, and keep these old beaters the warm days. We have a Northern zone opener this weekend and the temps have been in the mid 70's so bring the old ones as backups in case I get too hot.

Good old Wisconsin weather. Down to 28 degrees last Friday night and pushing 90 degrees tomorrow. I think I'll wear a como hat and shirt with a swimming suit and aqua socks and just stand in the water.

Gotta love our weather here! We had a 14 year old boy participate in the youth hunt last weekend, and Saturday morning we had frost on the ground. Cold both Saturday and Sunday and now it looks like the Northern zone opener will be close to 80.

Like they say if you dont like the weather wait a day and it will change, could be from one extreme to another. All you can to is take what ever mother nature gives.

I have a pair of the 89.99 Cabela's 3mm Max 4 going on their 5th season.

I would geet the $119.00 pair of 5mm if I lived in a cold climate or the $89.00 if I live in warmer regions.

I bought my son a pair of the upgraded 3mm's w/600 grams in the boot foot in size 11 and now he wears a 13! Therefore, I will use those for colder days in TX and S AR and get him a pair of the 5mm's.

Best money I have ever spent in waterfowling besides the old duck calls I get of Ebay hands down.

My old rubber hip boots finally developed some leaks and cracks and are beyond repair, so this year and I am looking for full length or waist high waders. I see some are made from different thicknesses of neoprene, canvass, rubber, and a new breathable material.

Temperatures where I live can be in the 70's early season and down below freezing by the season end, we hunt mostly cattail swamp and some inland lakes. I made it this long without using inulated boots, but the older I get the colder the cold feels so some insulation should be considered.

Any advice for or against a particular type would be appreciated.

Hey Tmac, I wear either hip boots or waist high waiders. I do that strictly out of safety. Years ago I had a friend who was in the army with me. I didn't have any leave to spend to go with him to hunt ducks at his home just outside of Dallas. Three days later I found out that his boat capsized and he drowned. It seems he was wearing chest waders, they filled with water and he couldn't get out of them. So ever since I have only worn the hip boots or waist high waders. Fortunately I have had dogs to fetch them in so I haven't had to get in water deeper than just below my waist. Just have never been able to get past the memory of that incident and for that reason I don't recommend them to anyone that hunts ducks who may get into water over their heads.

I just got back from a week long buisness trip to SC, but managed to get home in time for the northern zone opener.

In a nutshell we did great, one of the best any of us could think of. 4 men shot our limit of 24 ducks on Saturday; bag consisting of Red Heads, Teal, Mallards, Ring Bills, and Shovelers. I personally killed two geese on Saturday and another on Sunday, only due to being in the right place/time.

Really strange seeing the Red Heads down so early and a lot of them. Mallards were mostly local young ducks not pluumed out yet, this will improve later into the season.

Sundays hunt slowed down quite a bit (Typical) but the same group of 4 shot 10 ducks and one goose.

Each day we were finished up by 11:00. We had a good time.

You did good then-were you on the Bay? Our South Zone opener this past weekend was slow, 2 woodies and 1 shoveler in the 2 days. The strong south wind and us on the North shore wasn't a good combo. This was on Poygan/Winneconne. My brother and I. Maybe this week-end. Did your new waders work for you? I had good waders too but when a 2 footer in open water sneaks up on you, the end result is waders full of water-luckily it was mild out so cold wasn't a problem.

We hunted the west shore of the bay near little tail. With the low water conditions on the bay this year you could easily get away with hip boots, I did however wear my new chest waders and was high and dry. I also tried them out up North for the northern zone opener in much deeper water and was quite comfortable.

Here in Green Bay where I hunt I am rather priveleged to have a friend who owns some very nice private land right on the water, the public access near by sucks so we get very few visiters. Lots of pass shooting, not much decoying and calls amost useless. All typical of opening weekend.

From my vantage point it looked like a carnival out there with layout boats, canoes, and every tom dick and harry hiding in the cat tails. We had by far the best shooting.