M4 Short barreled shotgun

cchurchi

I would like to convert my Benelli M4 to a SBS by adding an M4 entry - 14 inch barrel and mag tube (after ATF approval, of course). I already own a registered SBR, so I am familiar with the paperwork. Is this possible? Where could I get the parts?

I would prefer to just order an M4 entry, but benelli will not sell these to civilians. However, there is a guy online that

claims to sell these to civilians. He says he purchases the M4 entry's 50 at a time. The catch is that he requires a $500 down payment and there is a 6-8 month lead time.

Any information is appreciated.

GOOD LUCK on finding a 14" entry barrel by itself. I tried for the last 2 years and I had no luck. What I did, was completed a form 1 on the M4 that I already owned. I then found a dealer that had a full factory entry gun for sale ($1400.00). I bought the gun and had him send me the barrel, which I put on my registered receiver. The other benelli was taken off of the NFA registery, then the receiver and collapsing stock was sent to me. That is one way of doing it.

Your Benelli will hold 5 shells as long as they are 2 3/4". 4 if they are 3". You can also put a floater round in, so you can have 5+1 with the chamber empty. Just load the mag tube to 5 and then pull the bolt back where you can take a loose round and place it under the bolt and then let the bolt go home. Works very well.

First of all, thanks for all of the great information HDRDKG! I always thought the M4 only held 4 + 1 shells, I never guessed you could fit 5 + 1 + 1 (2 3/4")! Yeah baby! Now to register it as an SBS and get that barrel hacked down to 14 inches and I'll be set.

Since I can't post links yet, google "Benelli M4 short barreled shotgun" and click the first link. This guy is selling M4 entry's for $2,500 with a collapsible stock. Didn't think you could get these?

The 14" barrel and locking nut are flush with each other. The barrel locking collar is placed different on the 14" barrel than the one on the 18.5" barrel, so it would not work. You need the threads to lock it down on the 14" barrel and if you put on the 2 shot ext everything would be way off.

Thanks again. I think 5 + 1 + 1 should be enough. Four rounds more then my dad's Serbu super-shorty!

I typically don't keep a round chambered in my AR rifles because I feel it is unsafe; if the rifle were dropped I think it could go off. I do keep a round in all my hand guns because of the redundant safety's (Glock).

Is the M4 safety "safe" enough to keep a round chambered?

Well I keep rounds in the chamber on my handguns, glock included. I don't chamber the shotgun, until I know I am going to approach a threat, or I am out at the range and shooting. The floater round is great because a quick pull of the charging handle and you are ready to rock.