Magazine Tube Spring (M4)

zgxtreme

Southsti, I ordered One some time ago. I did get it. If I remember correctly it took a few days to get it to me. Also, (I did not go throught the thread) is there a phone number for Cleefurd posted on this thread?

Ok cool, still have yet to hear from him, hopefully everything is okay with Cleefurd.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

I'm gonna refresh this thread:

I got the Benelli M4 S90 shotgun with collapsible stock and OEM full length 7 round magazine tube. I have figured out that I can feed only 6 rounds (2 -3/4 slugs) into the mag tube. Round no.7 sticks out approx. 3/4 of an inch. How can I fix this problem? Buying the aftermarket shorter spring or ...?

Thanks.

Edited by Tom-Gun

Hi guys,

I'm gonna refresh this thread:

I got the Benelli M4 S90 shotgun with collapsible stock and OEM full length 7 round magazine tube. I have figured out that I can feed only 6 rounds (2 -3/4 slugs) into the mag tube. Round no.7 sticks out approx. 3/4 of an inch. How can I fix this problem? Buying the aftermarket shorter spring or ...?

Thanks.

10-07-2007, 06:02 AM #3 DOOKEY FACE

Mar 2007

Florida

Did you guys take out the seal ring from the end of the old tube and replace it in your new tube?

• 2 years later...

Did you guys take out the seal ring from the end of the old tube and replace it in your new tube?

I am having the same issues as the guy in post #33

I got a New M4 LE with 7 round mag tube OEM. I could only fit 6 2 3/4" shells.

I got a Carriercomp Ti mag tube and a supposedly Carriercomp spring off Gunbroker.

Can only fit 6 in there as well.

My shells only have about 1/4" sticking out that won't go in.

There is some question about the spring, they guy couldn't find it at first but then found it. He said it was the spring that came with it, but I'm not sure what that means. Maybe it was second hand to him, even though he said it was new and un-used from a build project. I can answer the same thing. It is the spring I got with it.

Anyhow, what is the fix for this?

I've tried two different shells, that were really the same OAL, and it would only hold 6 in the stock tube and 6 in the carriercomp tube.

Ohhh, and I did move that seal ring to the new tube, not sure how you could miss doing that

It is important to understand that 2-3/4" and 3" shotgun chamber designations means the gun has a chamber length and an ejection port that is designed to handle shotshells of these lengths of the FIRED shotshell, i.e. the full length of the shotshell when its folded ends of the shotshell have opened up inside the chamber upon firing. The unfired 2-3/4" shells are quite varied in their unfired lengths, many by more than 0.1"....when this multiplied by 5-7 cartridges there is then a variance of 0.7" or more....this inter-shotshell variance in turn will only allow 6 of 7 Brand X shotshell to load in a magazine, whereas the shorter unfired Brand Y will load 7 of 7 in the magazine. The manufacturer of the magazine tube obviously used a a certain size shotshell in combination with a certain magazine spring when defining their magazine tube lengths / capacity ratings.

That 1/4" (0.25") your last shell is not going in ......is almost 3 times (0.7") the common total variance among shells.

Try shotshells of shorter OAL.

SO, unless your favorite shotshell length is the brand only loading 6 of 7 into the magazine, don't cut your magazine spring.

ScreenShot%20M2_zpss3jgvae1.png

Edited by benelliwerkes

Thought I replied to this last night. Must not have sent.

Another thing you can try is to seat the spring retainer so that it is sticking out of the magazine tube. That way when you tighten the magazine cap, it will push the spring retainer in as deep as necessary. As an experiment, try removing your spring retainer completely and just fight the spring in under the magazine cap. Then test to see if your shells fit. As Benelliwerkes outlined, just because a round says it is 2 3/4, doesn't really mean they are. Tollerance stacking can lead to an issue where you come up a fraction of an inch short.

It is important to understand that 2-3/4" and 3" shotgun chamber designations means the gun has a chamber length and an ejection port that is designed to handle shotshells of these lengths of the FIRED shotshell, i.e. the full length of the shotshell when its folded ends of the shotshell have opened up inside the chamber upon firing. The unfired 2-3/4" shells are quite varied in their unfired lengths, many by more than 0.1"....when this multiplied by 5-7 cartridges there is then a variance of 0.7" or more....this inter-shotshell variance in turn will only allow 6 of 7 Brand X shotshell to load in a magazine, whereas the shorter unfired Brand Y will load 7 of 7 in the magazine. The manufacturer of the magazine tube obviously used a a certain size shotshell in combination with a certain magazine spring when defining their magazine tube lengths / capacity ratings.

That 1/4" (0.25") your last shell is not going in ......is almost 3 times (0.7") the common total variance among shells.

Try shotshells of shorter OAL.

SO, unless your favorite shotshell length is the brand only loading 6 of 7 into the magazine, don't cut your magazine spring.

ScreenShot%20M2_zpss3jgvae1.png

Is there a way to determine if my spring is indeed one of the Carriercomp springs? A way to ID it?

Thought I replied to this last night. Must not have sent.

Another thing you can try is to seat the spring retainer so that it is sticking out of the magazine tube. That way when you tighten the magazine cap, it will push the spring retainer in as deep as necessary. As an experiment, try removing your spring retainer completely and just fight the spring in under the magazine cap. Then test to see if your shells fit. As Benelliwerkes outlined, just because a round says it is 2 3/4, doesn't really mean they are. Tollerance stacking can lead to an issue where you come up a fraction of an inch short.

I'll give these two options a shot as well. I don't need much, it may be as little as 1/8". Maybe between 1/8 and 1/4.

It would be nice if I could ID the spring that I got with the Carriercomp tube.

Plenty of customers have bought the original Benelli M4 full magazine tube and 99.9% have no issues with the original spring and when the 0.1% does it gets resolved with a lil trial and error. No other spring is needed.

Here is what I have:

I have a M4LE that came with the 2 Piece 7 round tube setup and spring

and I have a Carriercomp tube and a "Spring" that is longer than the OEM spring that came on the gun. I don't know if the spring I got with the CC tube is a CC spring or not.

This might be a newb question but: Are magazines tube springs fairly universal? I understand that they need to be different lengths and they have varying tension, but could someone swap a mag tube spring from a Remington 870 or 1100 into a Mossberg 500 or 930 or a Benelli Nova or M4, provided all of the guns had the same length magazine tube?