Magazine Tube Spring (M4)

zgxtreme

It might work, but I wouldn't recommend it. I am not a fan of the OEM magazine spring. They take a set and loose tension rather quick.

Semi autos to have a significant amount of tension to deliver the round to the carrier during the fraction of a second that the bolt carrier is cycling. In the thread about the Limbsaver, I posted a video in slow motion. You can see how fast and chaotic the cycle is. The shell elevator flaps like a bird thru part of the cycle.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a question of availability. If one was unable to find say, a Benelli Nova Tactical mag tube spring, would a similar-length spring from another make of pump-action shotgun work?

You can probably already tell, but I'm pretty new to the world of shotguns and have much to learn.

Thanks, Les.

It looks like Wolff doesn't make a mag tube spring for the Nova Tactical. I have a 2-round extension on it. So, should I be looking at the "general purpose" mag tube springs?

SKU#: 65167?

Are you trying to source a stronger spring than the factory spring because of the extension?

Can you not get a factory spring?

I'm not sure I'm following along here with what you really are trying to do.

Yes. I'm looking for a longer mag tube spring because the stock spring won't load the last two rounds.

Ok, now we have it! Since all these springs are working with 12 ga shells till be kinda the same diameters. If you are having issues and there is nobody who has already figured out the solution, if I were you, I would get the CarrierComp spring for the M4. Put it in there and see how it does. You may have to shorten it a little at a time till it loads all the shells and it works well.

The only reason I mention it is that it is made by Wolf and reviewed well here. It should be long enough since it is made for a 7 round magazine Benelli. Costs $12

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=9

Yes. I'm looking for a longer mag tube spring because the stock spring won't load the last two rounds.

Ok, now we have it! Since all these springs are working with 12 ga shells till be kinda the same diameters. If you are having issues and there is nobody who has already figured out the solution, if I were you, I would get the CarrierComp spring for the M4. Put it in there and see how it does. You may have to shorten it a little at a time till it loads all the shells and it works well.

The only reason I mention it is that it is made by Wolf and reviewed well here. It should be long enough since it is made for a 7 round magazine Benelli. Costs $12

http://www.shop.carriercomp.com/category.sc?categoryId=9

You can also snip your current spring a coil at a time till the rounds fit and then see if it still cycles reliably. You may need to snip the CC spring as well. I am having to.

Cool. Thanks!

There was a guy who mentioned on another thread that the way to test if your spring pressure was working was to load one 2 3/4" Bird shot and one 3" Slug. If you shot the slug and then it would load and allow you to shoot the Bird shot, then your spring tension was good.

I think I got that straight.

I installed the Scattergun Technologies extended magazine spring in my NT today. So far, it cycles shells perfectly. It's a fair bit longer than the stock spring and provides considerable tension. It was a little tricky getting the extension back on while fighting the spring.

Even though it was made for a Remington 870, it seems to be a good fit for the Benelli Nova Tactical.

I also changed to magazine follower to an RCI aluminum unit. That seems like a quality part, too.

I installed the Scattergun Technologies extended magazine spring in my NT today. So far, it cycles shells perfectly. It's a fair bit longer than the stock spring and provides considerable tension. It was a little tricky getting the extension back on while fighting the spring.

Even though it was made for a Remington 870, it seems to be a good fit for the Benelli Nova Tactical.

I also changed to magazine follower to an RCI aluminum unit. That seems like a quality part, too.

You could load the proper amount of shells?

Yes. It holds 7+1 of Hornady TAP FPD 00-Buck.

It's a Benelli Nova Tactical with 18.5" barrel. I added: Tac-Star Magazine Extension, Scattergun Technologies Extended Magazine Spring, RCI aluminum follower, Limbsaver recoil pad, ElZetta Tactical Shotgun Light Mount, Xenon weapon light, elastic 5-round buttstock shell carrier and a T.O.C. sling.

Works for me.

Yes. It holds 7+1 of Hornady TAP FPD 00-Buck.

It's a Benelli Nova Tactical with 18.5" barrel. I added: Tac-Star Magazine Extension, Scattergun Technologies Extended Magazine Spring, RCI aluminum follower, Limbsaver recoil pad, ElZetta Tactical Shotgun Light Mount, Xenon weapon light, elastic 5-round buttstock shell carrier and a T.O.C. sling.

Works for me.

Sounds like you're good to go!

You might want to do the test I mentioned above if you can.

The second shot may have been buckshot instead of birdshot, not sure.