Magazine Tube Spring (M4)

zgxtreme

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you're good to go!

You might want to do the test I mentioned above if you can.

The second shot may have been buckshot instead of birdshot, not sure.

So, I've been thinking about this test.

It seems like you would want to load a light birdshot shell into the chamber and a heavy slug or buckshot shell into the magazine tube.

Fire the birdshot and see if the recoil generated by this light load has sufficient power to cycle the action and chamber the heavier slug.

If the heavy shell doesn't make it into the chamber, the magazine spring may not be pushing the round out of the magazine tube fast enough to be in place for the bolt to grab before it returns to battery.

Does this sound right or am I way off?

So, I've been thinking about this test.

It seems like you would want to load a light birdshot shell into the chamber and a heavy slug or buckshot shell into the magazine tube.

Fire the birdshot and see if the recoil generated by this light load has sufficient power to cycle the action and chamber the heavier slug.

If the heavy shell doesn't make it into the chamber, the magazine spring may not be pushing the round out of the magazine tube fast enough to be in place for the bolt to grab before it returns to battery.

Does this sound right or am I way off?

I think the why it is done the other way is that the 3" shell can cause the magazine to move because of recoil and if the spring is too light, then it does not control the shell in the mag, so that when it comes time to load the shell in the mag that the shell is out of position because the spring didn't keep it against the shell stop in position. Think of what the recoil would do if there was no spring in the mag. Because of inertia, the shell would slide forward in the mag tube as the recoil hit and take it out of position for feeding. The spring has to be strong enough to hold it against the shell stop despite recoil. A weak spring will let it move out of position.

Hopefully I worded this correctly to understand.