First Benelli

Duckslayer752

Hey everyone, just bought a SuperNova 20131 and loving it. The only thing is the barrel is 24". How much would it cost for a spare barrel to duck hunt with that is 26 or 28"? I wanted this for squirrel hunting this season and it turns out I love shooting it, so I wanted to use it duck hunting also.

Thanks

The 24" will do fine for duck hunting as well, as pattern performance is more a factor of the choke tube than it is barrel length.

View epsiode 3 here

http://americangundog.com/straightshooting_AGD1.html

The longer receivers on pump-action and semi-autos also make up for shorter barrel lengths.

Your gun with its 24" barrel will be about the same overall lenghth as a over/under with 28" barrels.

Shoot some clays and see how you like it.

If you still want a longer barrel, check gunbroker and similar sites for deals, but expect to pay dearly for a Benelli barrel.

Thanks. I've just heard from so many people that the 2-4" difference would take off at least 10 yards of range. During goose hunting, I need that range. I will test it out on some clays at different ranges, and will probably change my mind.

Thanks again for the help.

Yeah, watching that video it explains that it's all an illusion. I guess I don't need to fork out the money then.

I understand the patterns don't change, but even if they did I could just choke it. I was more worried about range. According to that video, it is all an illusion and longer barrels do not give you greater range.

This used to be the case, but it has been overcome with advances in powders and other load components.

Many of the old-timers still pass along this bit of ancient and outdated wisdom as gospel.

Ha ha, my brothers still convinced that his 28" mossberg kills better then my 26" nova because of its longer barrel. He doesn't seem to realize that his mossberg is also backbored, which greatly improve patterns. But I still kill the same amout of birds as him. I may get a few more cripples from my patterns though. Nothing that a second shot won't fix.

There is very little if any difference in a pattern from a 24" barrel and a longer barrel. What the longer barrel actually does is help you with your swing and follow through on your passing shots at flying birds. That is why you see those who shoot sporting clays or trap shooting guns with 30 inch barrels. When shooting with a shorter barrel most shooters will not completely follow through after the shot is fired. The longer barrel helps remedy that situation. If you don't have any problems with follow through then don't buy the longer barrel. You can find out just by going and shooting a few clay targets. It seems to me that would be a cheaper way to find out if maybe a longer barrel is what you need for hunting ducks and geese.