My SBE II Break In Period

zenki

Well, to start off, my name's Matt I'm 17 and new to the forums. It seems like you all are a pretty good bunch of guys, and there seems to be a lot of good info on this site! Look forward to learning and thanks to anyone in advance for any help.

Now down to the nitty gritty.. I am picking up my first Benelli this weekend.. A Super Black Eagle II. I am trading in the old faithful Beretta 3901 for it with $800 (after tax) on top of it (not bad for a 4 year old trade in, eh?). I know some don't believe a shotgun doesn't need to be broken in, but I'd rather have the peice of mind knowing I am doing everything I can to take care of my things.

First off, would it be fine to just go out to my farm where we shoot trap and just shoot 3 boxes of heavy load all at once for the break in? I know sore shoulder this, waste of shells that, but I don't want to be shooting 3 1/2's BB at little ring bills and grouse. I was just wondering if it would be fine to just do it all at once so I could go hunting the next morning with some lighter grouse loads (which will be 2 3/4").

Second - Are Remington Sportsman Hi speed steel good enough shells to break in with?

They sell them at Wally World for $13 a box, which is pretty darn cheap for 3 1/2 inchers, and if I'm just shooting trap with them, I'd rather not drop $100 on shells.

And lastly, would shooting 2 boxes of 3 1/2" BB or 2 shot, then 1 box of 3" 4 shot be fine for the whole break in period, and after that should I feel OK about shooting 2 3/4" 1 ounce 7.5 shot?

I know I may sound a little paranoid, but I like taking care of my things.

Thanks a lot for any and all help!

The whole break-in thing is overated in my opinion.

As long as you shoot loads that meet or exceed the receommended minimums, just take the darned thing and go hunting.

If you do have some problem while hunting, then maybe go and abuse your shoulder on the back 40.

Buddy of mine bought a brand new SBEII and took it out of the box at the dove field.

He shot three boxes of 1-1/8 ounce loads and it never missed a beat.

No, he doesn't shoot very well. ;)

I bought two boxes of Winchester Xpert Hi-velocity 3 1/2" 1 3/8 ounce 1550 fps 2 shot. Whoo that's a mouthfull.. After I put those two through it I'll move onto some 3" 4 shot duck load and after 2 boxes of those, hopefully it'll want to shoot my Federal target loads. Heading out to North Dakota next week for a week long trip. It'll be a nice to get a whole bunch of shots with it so soon.

What I did with my SBEII, is I took it out back and shot some dove and quail loads through it first. For the duck opener, I've been shooting 3 inch Federal Speed Shok, #3. now, i will switch over to 3 1/2" Remington Sportsmans #3. Hasn't missed a beat!! Like Tucker said, i think the break in period is over rated and shoot the loads it was designed to shoot.

Well like I said, to some people the peice of mind is worth 2 boxes of shells. And I will be killing ducks with these, so it's a win win situation. Thanks for the help! I will elt you guys know how my shoulder feels after putting through 50 3 1/2's in a half a day :D

And this may sound like a very stupid question, but when I've cleaned my guns I've always pushed the cleaning rod in both directions through the barrel. I just read online that that is a no no, and I should only be pushing it in the direction the wad goes out the barrel, then pulling the rod all the way through the end of the barrel, and going through the back side again until clean. So should I only be pushing the cleaning rod through the barrel in the direction the shot leaves it, or is it ok to pull it back through backwards?

Darn I just got the call from my shop and I guess the SBE II I was looking at is on a nation wide back order. I would just go to another shop, but this place had given me a killer trade in on my current Beretta that no where else could come close to. Looks like I may be in the market for a used one. Hope full I can find one locally by next weekend!

I think I may just stick with my Beretta for this year. It has never once let me down and it is pretty much my first ever shotgun I've owned, and have a lot of history with it. I kind of want to keep this gun forever and just pick up a Benelli a few years down the road when I can afford to have my Beretta also. A few years down the road Benelli will have something new and improved anyways.

Plus I am a pretty damn good shot with it if I do say so myself. Few years ago at the DU shoot we have here I beat almost every single guy there at skeet. Shot 24/25.. And in sporting clays on pretty darn hard course I shot 40/50. Was the first time I beat my dad.. Lots of memories with this gun.

Seems to be your loss and i think someone was blowing smoke at your gun dealer, able ammo told me that a lotta of the field guns were on B/O but they said the SBEII's were available on line at their site and at Benelli! sounds like the gun dealer could have given you a high trade in quote and figures he might loose his lunch breaks for a month? My take on a SBEII for a range gun is not a wise choice and i am just partial to O/U for range shooting. My range will not allow more than 2 rounds in shotgun at a time for crossing doubles which i have issues with after 5 or 10 boxes, called carrpel tunnel!!:eek: on trap range they only allow 1 round in any gun at any time? To me the SBE II is a 28" meat smoker/tenderizer!! it works ok on range but not for me!!

I BOUGHT MY SBE-2 AT JULY/2007. I JUST TAKE IT OUT AND SHOOT.SINCE THEN I PUT AROUND 3,000 ROUNDS OF 2 3/4"-1 1/8 TARGET LOADS,

50 ROUNDS 0F 3"-1 3/8-B.B.

AND 150 ROUNDS OF 3 1/2"-1 3/8-#3 SHELLS.

NO BIG PROBLEMS WITHOUT BREAK IN.

EXCEPT 5 JAM FIRST TIME HUNTING WITH THE 3"-B.B.

GOOD GUN ! I LOVE MY BABY !

Seems to be your loss and i think someone was blowing smoke at your gun dealer, able ammo told me that a lotta of the field guns were on B/O but they said the SBEII's were available on line at their site and at Benelli! sounds like the gun dealer could have given you a high trade in quote and figures he might loose his lunch breaks for a month? My take on a SBEII for a range gun is not a wise choice and i am just partial to O/U for range shooting. My range will not allow more than 2 rounds in shotgun at a time for crossing doubles which i have issues with after 5 or 10 boxes, called carrpel tunnel!!:eek: on trap range they only allow 1 round in any gun at any time? To me the SBE II is a 28" meat smoker/tenderizer!! it works ok on range but not for me!!

I went to another Benelli dealer in my area and they told me the exact same thing, so I don't think they were making it up. And my guns aren't just range guns. I hunt ducks every weekend and go out to NoDak twice a year pheasant and duck hunting.

What are you guys thoughts on the Ultra Lights? I can pick one up for $800 with only 2 boxes of sheels thorugh it. I was also wondering how you switch around the safety? He has it set up for a lefty (but reciever is still on right), but so you flick off the safety with your left hand (on left hand side of trigger guard). How hard is it to flip it around?