Has anyone been doing any fall turkey hunting?

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

The season's not in here yet.

The early duck season passed without any reaction from me, other than frustration with the weather.

I refuse to hunt anything but groundhogs when it's over 90.

On top of the record heat, we're suffering the worst drought I've ever seen.

It's actually a few very light showers this AM with a cold front coming through, but we're WAY short for the year.

In Fl the weather has been a mixed bag of rain and heat.Archery season opened last month,and turkeys are legal game with a bow.It's hard enough hunting them with a bow in spring,but fall takes it to another demension of frustration.The open pastures where the Oceola's hang out makes trying to bust a flock a moot point.The tactic that is holding water is setting up in known travel areas and waiting.I'm not pushing too hard,because these birds get freaked out very easily,and I want to floss the Benelli in a month!

Fall Turkey hunting is officially open in Wisconsin, and unlike the folks down south we are getting back toward seasonal temp of a high in the 50's - quite comfortable for me.

My spring hunt was a disaster, and with all the duck hunting we have done so far it might be an accident if I shoot a Turkey. Today its blowing like **** and kind of cold, a buddy called over his lunch break which he took at the duck blind and said the Mallards were pouring in off the Bay. Now thats what I am talking about for the weekend.

Here in KY our bow season opened September 1 and I've went a few times. Once I had one about 10 yards away but it keep looking at me and I couldn't get drew back, and then this morning I shot at one about 15 yards away but I was in thick cover and my arrow glanced off a sapling. Our gun season comes in October 27 and they better watch out because the gun will shoot farther and through brush. :D

I was able to get my pup to bust up a small flock at sunset. I called back in forth in the morning but nothing came in. We...actually I...also flushed a grouse. That was pretty cool since I haven't seen them around for quite some time. It would have been better if the dog had found the grouse or scented the turkeys. She doesn't seem to be using her nose much. Maybe she doesn't know how to yet, or maybe she doesn't have much of a nose. She's still young so hopefully it will all work out.

It was 3 hens, maybe a hen and 2 jennys. I started with soft clucks and got answered with some yelps, then a kee kee and answered with an assembly call, then I tried to beat the hen out of her assembly call. After they went the other direction I tried to head them off for a fresh break, but the terrain would have required rappelling gear. Wayne National Forest can be pretty unforgiving. KY gun season is in less than two weeks.

Evening busts are a crapshoot,as the birds are closer to the roost than they are earlier in the day.They aren't as panic stricken to get back together because they can pitch up and be in their comfort zone.In the evening,they are heading to safety, in the morning they are heading away from it.Once the guns come into play,there will be more margin for error.

I would just concentrate on figuring out better travel routes in the meantime,for you and them.Doing your homework pays when it's test time!

Good Luck

Alright QuakerBoy -- I roosted 3 gobblers tonight whilst muzzle loader hunting for deer. According to my hunting partner they have been roosting in the same tree for the past two weeks. Is there a break-up/call-back strategy or should I ambush them on their way to roost? Next weekend is our gun opener. I'm pretty sure I already killed two of their brothers!!!

It' time to gamble like Kenny Rogers! The fall roost cycle is kind of like the rut for deer,IT WILL CHANGE.The question is when. Every region is different,in when they pick up roots and move.They don't go real far,but putting all your eggs in one basket(or tree) could leave you on your back heels.I would just try to play it close to the chest on these birds,try to slip in and not disturb them and kill one comming down in the a.m. if that doesn't work,let them walk as far from the roost as you can,then try to bust them.If that still don't work,back off,and hunt the roost area later in the day. Calling bachelor groups of toms after a bust is a hair pulling exercise,if they are young jakes,go with lost/assembly calls.If they are "Super Jakes" that have med. beards and unfull gobbles,hit up some fighting purrs,with a fake wing/hat to the leg.

Are you allowed to kill them with a muzz. or do you have to wait for firearms season?

Shoot em' up!

• 3 weeks later...