Black Benelli vs Camo one

StoegerStrong

Have it dipped.You will be glad you did after all is said and done.Camo-Clad is cool from afar,but looks kind of hack up close.They praise how long it lasts,but don't go into detail about what your metal looks like after you have to remove it for another wrap.After skinning it a couple of times,you will realize you could have just had it dipped for the same price.Gander Mtn has some reasonable prices on dipping.If price is a big issue,then go for the wrap while you save for the other.

A buddy has CamoClad on an old 870 and is OK IMO. It stays on in all weather. If you are set on camo, get it dipped.

I have a black SBEII and a camo M1. I am happy with either and if camo on the gun is crucial to a hunt that I have the SBEII on - there is always plenty of dirt around (wet glove and dirt, mop it on the stock, don't clean it off the stock during the season). If the birds are close enough to see the black gun as something out of the ordinary - it is usually when I am swinging it up at them and pulling the trigger.

• 3 months later...

my first turkey gun wore a camo "sock" to hide the high luster blue and shiney wood.....

my next turkey gun was a flat black shotgun with synthetic stock & forend.....

later i covered the stock, reciever and forend with "vinyl camo" leaving the flat black barrel.....

one day while painting my duck boat i decided to paint an old shotgun and it turned out decent.......

today most of my turkey & waterfowl guns have factory camo or "dipped" finishes!!!

In the end everyone has to do what is most economical or what they have time for! IMHO, all one really needs for a turkey or waterfowl rig is to eliminate the "shine" and a "tactical" black gun does this pretty well....so does a camo "sock" and it's cheaper than dirt!!!

I put camo-clad on my boat motor 6 years ago and I have no complaints. I think you'd be very happy with it on a gun as far as it being an effective camo. However, it won't look all pretty and professional up close. The tape has to be overlapped in places and in that respect it kind of looks like a grade school art project. Having said that if a duck or turkey gets close enough to notice that you put stickers on your gun it's too late anyway.

• 8 months later...

My first thought is..why did you not just purchase a camo'd Benelli in the first place? I guess I can see the need for camo in a hunting type situation, assuming this is what you need it for, but otherwise...I just dont see the need. If this is a personal defense shotgun, dont waste your time. Black, in this case, is much better imho. Actually, come to think of it, the blacked out look is better..regardless. Much more ominous and militaristic. Besides, can birds really tell the difference?

• 7 months later...
I want to make my black benelli a camo one. Dipping seems quite expensive and I don't like the look of spraypaint. What is everyones take on this stuff? www.camo4u.com

IMHO, dipped camo on weapons is junk.If I were in need of a camo weapon, I would do it myself. Even the camo benelli's still on shelves at the fun store show chipping and other defects. I would pass. If you want to camo your own weapon, you can do a lot better than some dipping crap anyways. Here is an example of a "spray painted" :rolleyes: camo job. Compare that to any MAX4 or whatever and I think you will find that it blends MUCH better.

2ujse12.jpg

all you have to do really is prep the piece, pick a base color and some other top colors, and get a couple of leaves and paint over and on the edges of leaves or a finish like that... i believe on duckhuntingchat.com somebody showed how to do it step by step...

My first thought is..why did you not just purchase a camo'd Benelli in the first place? I guess I can see the need for camo in a hunting type situation, assuming this is what you need it for, but otherwise...I just dont see the need. If this is a personal defense shotgun, dont waste your time. Black, in this case, is much better imho. Actually, come to think of it, the blacked out look is better..regardless. Much more ominous and militaristic. Besides, can birds really tell the difference?
I personaly LIKE a camo duck gun and i think they can see the colors. in a marsh black would stand out a bit but thats my opinion and my preferance .

• 3 months later...

Um wow all you people want to camo up your black guns..Are any of you sorry that you did that? I hunt predators at night time and a black gun would be more logical...Come the snow and I wrap all of my shotguns with that Vet horse tape...You know make them white instead of black...I do hunt predators in the day time, I do hunt geese now and then...Um I was going to buy a black SBE 2 instead of the camo...I already have Stalker BPS in black and never thought even of camoing it up....

You people are making me start to think. Um maybe I should buy a SBE 2 in the camo already instead of the black since why come along later and have to take the time and spend the money to have it camod again?????

Good site here this is the kind of post that can make a person make a deceison before hand instead of having to go and do it down the road like camoing up a black shotgun.