SBE ejection and patterning problem

mobsbe

I just sent my SBE (new in 1997) to the company for trouble shooting a couple problems I've had.

1. It has "occasionally" failed to eject a spent hull over the past 3 years. Very difficult to determine what is the cause as nothing appears worn/broken and the loads are heavy/light/different lengths?? I did replace the recoil spring last year, was sure that would fix the problem but it happened again 3x last weekend. Now I'm frustrated and the gun is getting fixed or getting gone.

2. Second issue is the point of aim appears to be low and left when I sight it in for turkey hunting. I'm about 10" low and 5" left to the center of the pattern. I compensate when aiming but wondered if anyone else has the same issue. Chokes don't seem to make a difference, I've tried 3.

Any input on the above to help me regain my confidence in what I still feel is a great gun would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MOBSBE :rolleyes:

When you replaced your recoil spring, did you replace it with a Benelli recoil spring? My experience with Benelli spring has been poor. The Wolff 25% increase spring works far better than the original on every application I have used. M1, SBE, Montefeltro. Caution, I do not shoot 7/8 low base shells. Are your shells getting wet, (swelling)? Are you cleaning the recoil spring assembly yearly? Are you lubing the assembly properly?

Patterning problems: are your sights original? If you installed a TRU Glow or similar bead on the gun, it will shoot low because the diameter of the sight is larger. The further you pattern the lower it will be. I tried this with a M1 field, it will not work. No one wants to compensate this by shooting at a different sight point. I am installing a ATN digital sight mount on a Aimpoint saddle mount for my M1 Turkey Gun.

Hope something here will help!

Originally posted by remarkable:

When you replaced your recoil spring, did you replace it with a Benelli recoil spring? My experience with Benelli spring has been poor. The Wolff 25% increase spring works far better than the original on every application I have used. M1, SBE, Montefeltro. Caution, I do not shoot 7/8 low base shells. Are your shells getting wet, (swelling)? Are you cleaning the recoil spring assembly yearly? Are you lubing the assembly properly?

Patterning problems: are your sights original? If you installed a TRU Glow or similar bead on the gun, it will shoot low because the diameter of the sight is larger. The further you pattern the lower it will be. I tried this with a M1 field, it will not work. No one wants to compensate this by shooting at a different sight point. I am installing a ATN digital sight mount on a Aimpoint saddle mount for my M1 Turkey Gun.

Originally posted by mobsbe:

quote:
Originally posted by remarkable:

Thanks for the info. I did use the Benelli spring, will see what the company does now that it is in their hands. If they do nothing I'll put the spring you suggest in and try that.

I haven't tried any of the Tru Glow type sights yet. looked at a few but either didn't like the way they mounted or they weren't adjustable to help me correct the aim point.

Thanks again,

mobsbe