Military Ammo Issued With M1014

M60H2O42DD

Does anyone know what the standard issue ammo is for soldiers carrying the M4/M1014? I have seen lots of posts about alleged problems with the M4/M1014 and find them hard to believe, given the exhaustive testing that the military subjects new firearms to before they are adopted. It would be nice to know what the military feeds their shotguns. Perhaps there are lots of civilians abusing their M4s with improper ammo?

Found these bits of info ....

"AA60 3” 00 Buckshot - Procured to replace A011 2¾” Shotshell. The number of shot pellets increased from 9 to 13 improving lethality. The new cartridge was fielded to accommodate the M1014 but is compatible with all shotguns in the inventory."

AA60.jpg

"The Cartridge, 12 Gauge #00 Buckshot 3" (DODIC AA60) is used for training, combat, and guard purposes with the Joint Service Shotgun (M1014). The AA60 consists of a brass cartridge case, plastic sleeve, and waterproofed paper plug."

"The Cartridge, 12 Gauge #00 Buckshot M162 (DODIC A011) is used for training, combat, and guard purposes with the M500, M590, and M870 12-gauge Auto-loading and Pump action Shotguns. Three types of outer casings distinguish DODIC A011; the M19 Brass Cartridge Case, the M162 Plastic Cartridge Case, and the waterproofed paper cartridge case that does not have an assigned model number. Each cartridge case consists of a metal (brass or plated steel) head containing a propellant charge and smokeless powder."

Originally posted by STA:

Found these bits of info ....

"AA60 3” 00 Buckshot - Procured to replace A011 2¾” Shotshell. The number of shot pellets increased from 9 to 13 improving lethality. The new cartridge was fielded to accommodate the M1014 but is compatible with all shotguns in the inventory."

AA60.jpg

"The Cartridge, 12 Gauge #00 Buckshot 3" (DODIC AA60) is used for training, combat, and guard purposes with the Joint Service Shotgun (M1014). The AA60 consists of a brass cartridge case, plastic sleeve, and waterproofed paper plug."

"The Cartridge, 12 Gauge #00 Buckshot M162 (DODIC A011) is used for training, combat, and guard purposes with the M500, M590, and M870 12-gauge Auto-loading and Pump action Shotguns. Three types of outer casings distinguish DODIC A011; the M19 Brass Cartridge Case, the M162 Plastic Cartridge Case, and the waterproofed paper cartridge case that does not have an assigned model number. Each cartridge case consists of a metal (brass or plated steel) head containing a propellant charge and smokeless powder."

I also found this on a USMC Judge Advocate site:

WEAPON REVIEW OF JOINT SERVICE SHOTGUN SHELL

We reviewed a request for a legal review of the Federal Cartridge 12-gauge, 3-inch, number 00 buckshot (AA60), for the joint service combat shotgun. We reviewed the supporting documentation and concluded that the intended use of the AA60 is consistent with our international legal obligations, including the law of war. Although the AA60 contains plastic particles, we confirmed telephonically and through the procurement of additional documentation, that there were no issues under Protocol I, of the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons. Protocol I prohibits “any weapon the primary effect of which is to injure by fragments which in the human body escape detection by X-rays.” The primary wounding effect of the AA60 is the lead buckshot, not the plastic pellets, which immediately dissipate into a confetti-like substance after the round has been fired. We forwarded the request to Navy JAG (Code 10), recommending approval.

I also found another site that listed this item as manufactured by Federal. Now all I need is an M4 to shoot it in. smile.gif