Gas Piston

stid2677

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am new to the benelli but I read ohiom4 s comment that no lubricant or solvent should be used. I just bought mine and have not even fired it yet. I looked at the gas tube and wondered how to clean it. I thought maybe spay solvent in there. I wonder how many others did just that before reading otherwise. Now that I think on it solvent would just cause the powder residue to stick to the tube. Keep up the tips. I joined to learn. THanks

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is Mihai, I am from Romania and I've just bought an Benelli R1 Confortech. The model is for USA ( 56 cm, not 51cm like in europe) and the piston is with rings. Here in Europe just came up a new type of piston. What do you know about this?i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv351/violiv/P1000727.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. Thank you, stid2677 for all the analysis, lessons and photos that make this thread so helpful.

Tucker301's post (#25) comparing the BAR's piston mechanism is interesting too.

My daughter is shooting an R1 in .270WSM - shooting well and enjoys it. She was able to make the transition from .243Win in 2 sessions at the rifle range. Of course, I "tested" the rifle too and that gas piston action really makes for a sweet shooting rifle; well balanced and easy handling. I can see how follow-up shots would be quick in the field too.

This R1 gets completely disassembled and cleaned after each range trip - due to this thread. I knew what we were getting into well before purchasing the rifle. Using the lock-ring pliers as stid2677 suggested makes the whole job easy. It takes awhile longer than my bolt gun, but that's just part of the tradeoff when one gets into an R1. Great rifle for our situation.

Thanks to Steve, and others on this very informative thread. Best wishes in the season ahead.

• 5 months later...
:( Well the R1 is stripped and boxed and ready to go back to the factory for yet another warranty issue. I am shooting a .300 wsm and have tried both winchester accubond (180 gr) and then tried Federal Premium Vital-Shok (180gr) neither of these brands shoot out of my gun reliably. I don't think I have shot a total of 50 rounds through this gun and it has failed me for 3 consecutive elk hunting seasons. Had to finish the season all 3 times with my trusty Ruger bolt action. I really love the way the R1 shoots and handles but am getting really discouraged in the reliability of it. Maybe I just got a hold of a lemon? I clean this gun after every use and it doesn't really appear to be that dirty either so I am really at a loss. I am not giving up yet though. Thanks for all the input I have learned alot reading these posts. Dr. Hook

Dr Hook, i have the same gun, same caliber and have shot the same ammo. i have never had a jam or anything even close with any heavy loads. i have noticed questionable but OK performance on 130 grain ammo, the kick is noticeably softer and that had me worried but so far never needed a quick follow up for any attacking whitetail. :)

i think you may have a lemon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a question.....do you just slide the gas piston assembly over the rubber o ring or do you take the o ring off first?

I took mine apart for the first cleaning tonight and the piston assembly slid right over the ring with little friction. Seemed to be the way to do it but will it ruin the rubber o ring?

Thanks for the info!

I've fired 8 rounds through the R1 and almost didn't get the barrel removed from the piston because it was soundly stuck. I can see carbon fouling inside the piston chamber. Is brake fluid the best to remove it? I can tell you regular bore cleaner won't touch it. I can see the retaining ring on the piston, but I'm unclear how to remove it? Also I'm using federal 180 power shock. Is there anyone who has used a different amo with less piston and chamber problems?

Thanks!

• 7 months later...
KMRDragon I am having the same problem with not even a box of shells shot through mine. I have the 300 wm in the comfortech. I have had the best luck accuracy wise with Hornady 165 grain but this gun is fouling like crazy. I love everything else about it but something just isnt right with these rifles. I called Benelli to see what they had to say and they kind of acted like they didnt know anything about it but they were nice enough to send me a new gas piston free of charge. They said they wanted to see if this will fix the problem before I send it in. These rifles should not be gumming up like they do.

Are you using the Superformance loads? I have been using the "regular" interbond's in 165 gr. with my .300 wm for a few years without any fouling problems. I belive the superformance loads are not designed for short gas port rifles. I also shoot 165 gr. fusions and power shocks at the range to sight in with. My R1 is probably over 7 years old though and the piston is like a collection box for burnt powder, but it's never caused any cycling problems. Probably the most I've gone is about 100 rounds before cleaning. I use brake cleaner or B-12 chemtool and then oil the little o-ring after I'm done.

• 1 year later...

Sorry but being a Benelli doesn't make it immune from getting corroded. any time a gas system is the main component making a gun cycle that gas system needs to be cleaned periodically. When someone comes out with a self-cleaning gun we'll be able to complain about paying a lot for it and it not doing it's job. Until then we need to understand how our weapons work and to make sure that at least the most important operating parts are well maintained.

• 4 weeks later...

My rifle has the updated piston and manual.In the manual it states specifically to disassemble and clean the piston for storage.The piston itself is a more robust design and and should not be an issue with proper mantainance.As far as I'm concerned the piston is a non issue on the new Benellis.

Edited by Saw Doctor

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Newbee here!

Just bought an M4 and R1 then sent them out to Robar guns to add NP3+ to avoid any problems like those mentioned.

Robar guns is the company that benelli has used just last year to add NP3 to the M4 H2O limited edition. This is a electroless nickel plating with impregnated PTFE. The new product is called (+) and is 7 times more resistant to corrosion than the original NP3. Every metal part of the guns are exploded apart to the smallest pins, metal stock pipe, pins and trigger assembly... the whole shebang. Any parts that are treated with chrome or anything otherwise is stripped and then everything is treated and bonded at the molecular level. Bore is of course NOT treated. Take a look at the images of the M4 H2O and research this product it is not painted on or otherwise and is guaranteed not to corrode or scratch off for as long as you own it! This month there is 15% off the finishing process. Yes it is a pretty penny but it should give me the peace of mind I need to enjoy this fine gun like Stid with very little maintenance. Cost $450 for complete gun including pic rail. Perhaps a user of the M4 H2O could chime in if they see this post. I will put up pics when I get them back. One other draw back 8-12 week process and shipping costs. Any input from senior members?

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread and wow - thanks. I have about 150 rounds through my R1 and have cleaned it twice but never thought to pull the piston assembly apart. So I just did and sure enough it was starting to gunk up and worse - there was residue from cleaning fluid inside the piston assembly. Lesson learned for future cleaning sessions. Thanks OP!!

• 4 years later...

Hi, I've searched all over the web for a video on how to properly break down the R1/Argo gas block for cleaning and cannot find anything.   Can anyone point to a video or instructions?   Given the comments here, you'd think Benelli would produce something to encourage R1 owners to conduct proper maintenance.