How has Black Cloud been performing in the field?

CH/QuakerBoyProstaff

I have only used one, on a crippled goose that was standing about 50 yards away.

My friend shot it twice with Kent Faststeel 2's. Nothing. I shot it once with 3 inch Blackcloud 2's and it fell over stone dead.

I've talked to some other guy's who love it. I know at Fleet Farm, it's only $16 a box.

Non toxic for pheasants, what is the world coming to? After shooting steel all this fall at ducks its been fun taking some afternoon pheasant hunts, shooting my 20ga with 1 1/8oz of #5's has been real fun. Taking shots at passing birds out to 45+yards and just knocking em down stone dead, I dont think you get results like that with steel of any kind less you go heavy shot.

Non toxic for pheasants, what is the world coming to? After shooting steel all this fall at ducks its been fun taking some afternoon pheasant hunts, shooting my 20ga with 1 1/8oz of #5's has been real fun. Taking shots at passing birds out to 45+yards and just knocking em down stone dead, I dont think you get results like that with steel of any kind less you go heavy shot.

Need no-tox on state lands or 'waterfowl' preserve/reserve areas in S.Dakota if I remember correctly been a while since I've hunted away from the private lands I stomp. 2-3/4" 1-1/8oz #4's reving @ 1300+ will do the trick just fine - 3" 7/8-1oz 20's at the same 1300+ make 'em drop just fine too.

According to THe South Dakota Hunting & Trapping Handbook. "The use of nontoxic shot for samll game hunting is required on most public lands, but not all. GF&P encourages hunters to use nontoxic shot for all hunting ...." We use in just non toxic to save the hassle and have had good success with Kent Impact Tunsten. But got some 3" Black Cloud on clearence for $14, I will give those a try this weekend.

I loaded with 3" #4 Black Cloud this morning for some pheasant hunting (MN Public Land). It wasn't much of a field test - I missed one bird that was really not in range. I knocked some feathers off with one shot but he kept flying and I couldn't track him down. The next rooster I flushed I dropped with one shot but he was pretty close so I think any shell would have done the job. I guess I was pleased; it did the job just as I had expected. I'm not sure it was any better or worse than cheaper or more expensive shells.

One thing I was impressed with, this was the first time I've done any real shooting with my new Super Nova and I really didn't feel any recoil to speak of. I have added a Limb Saver recoil pad which I think helps but I was impressed with the way the Super Nova handled.

And by way of a follow up Chad, the shells cycled and ejected perfectly both in the field and back at the truck when I unloaded so I'm a happy guy!

CH,

This is what I found; I used this opening weekend in IL. I shot a woodie-it hit the water and bounce right back up. I threw one more out for good measure and to my amazement it was like I shot a slug at the little drake. It never opened up at 40+ yards. So, I shot again, similar result with many flyers. So I shot again, this one opened up and did the job. After we retrieved the duck, I also retrieved the wads and they never opened up. I shot 6 more times on the water. With 2 more results of the Slug type of splash on the water. If my math is right that is 1/3 of the time they don't open up. I promptly gave the remain shells to my buddy. The next weekend was the pheasant opener-I met a guy at the diner we go to in the AM. He said he had the same results in a ND hunt. I will never waste my monies on this product. I will continue to shoot Faststeel followed by a HeviShot 2 or B.

Maybe they work better beyond 40???

Happy Hunting,

JV

BC is a long range steel load for sure.

This past weekend, I used a Wingmaster HD 6, followed by a Win HV 3, followed by a BC 2. Sort of a stupid trick I use to stretch out the Wingmaster. The BC killed several 2nd ducks in a double and was an outstanding cripple water swatting load. One long cripple shot flipped a teal out of the water at 50 yards.

All the wads I found had the petals out - so I presume they are working as intended.

I will certainly use more BC once the weather turns windy and the ducks get a bit smarter :)

• 2 weeks later...