Sbii Jammed When I Needed It Most!

NJgunner

I recently bought a SBII 24" w/comforttech in 12gauage. I fired 500 rounds of remington low brass 8 shot (i think they were low brass game loads) without a single jam. Today I fire at a pheasant and go for a followup shot and there is a shell sticking out of the ejection port sideways. VERY disappointing. I was shooting Federal Premium 1500fps 5shot. The conditions were rainy, but I clean and lube with CLP after every use of the gun..I fired a few more rounds with the same ammo and there was no problem, I hope to blame it on the shell itself maybe underpowered? My 1187 never had a problem cycling these.

Question

Are you supposed to lube the ejector attached to the barrell (has spring on it)?

Sometimes if you quarter of the way open the bolt to see if there is a round in there and dont allow enough force to close the bolt, you will see the bolt head is in a different position not all the way turned like if you release the bolt from full back position is this normal our could that have been the problem?

you answered your own question if shells do not cycle do not use direct quote from Benelli, if ya have a malfunction due to shooting correct rounds ya might wanta shoot some high brass thru it first. My dealer told me that and said you will have problems cycling if ya do not do it first. He said Benelli Rep told him this and i did it and i have shot groups of low brass and not one malfunction, but i ran 30 ea 3.5 Turkey heavi-shot thru it first and the trigger group gets the bulk of the dirt except my barrel would get gummed up from the hull crimp and leave plastic residue in barrel which comes out easy but the 3.5's are hot coming outta the crimp!!

To Answer your second Question first, always let the bolt SLAM closed. if you lower it slowly the bolt will not lock-up and you will get the Famous "Benelli Click" which means that the hammer did not drop because the bolt was out of battery.

On the first issue it could have been a weak load or a gun malfunction but if you run 500 rounds of "light" loads thru it and it was fine I would point at the load.

I oil everything in mine but very lightly and use the benelli oil or my Own mixture of ATF (due to its anti rust and cleaning properties) and machine oil.

I had an M1 that would not cycle S&B buckshot no matter what you did with it.

Thanks for the input MGSPENCER...My gun has jammed a total of twice in the field...both times it was the first round I fired, all other rounds after that was fine....im using Federal Ammunition with DRAM and shot OZ past specs for cycling...I beleive I never cleaned/oiled the "ejector slide" or whatever its called attached to the barrell...I beleive it was gummed up and not lubed properly which would explain almost like a "freezing" or not moving properly, jamming the first shell but all other shells were fine after it....I lubed it up nicely with some CLP and shot a pheasant today without any jam...I also fired 3 rounds at a seperate point in the day without any problem...I hope thats all it was didnt wanna send this back to benelli during hunting season...anyone else ever have this problem?

Just saw NJGunners question about the partial shell ejection. The position (90 degrees) out of the ejection port is something that has happened once or twice to most SBE owners and is an indication that the inertial bolt system was not allowed to function as it was designed to.

The Benelli inertial bolt system must have a solid base to operate correctly. The fix for the partial ejection is to be sure the butt is solid against the shoulder. This will insure correct operation with any commercial load, from light target to heavy perditor.

I'd try to ignor it for the time being. Weve all had it happen no matter what AutoLoader your using. I think it's probably the powder charge- maybe not enough powder or it got damp. If it continues then contact the company for support. But one jam in approx 501 rounds is nothinng to get excited about. As I said, try to ignor it for now, and stay positive.

Well it happened once again in the field on the first round, luckily i killed the pheasant with the first shot...i spoke with benelli and they told me to push down on the inside where the plunger/spring is and drop some clp down there and also on the top of the plunger itself and work it in....we'll see what happens, buck week is next week and if this jams up with a 3 1/2 shell there is something wrong, I know how to clean my guns my 1187 NEVER did this...ill keep you posted

Benelli's need to be broken in with heavy field loads or heavier, not low brass field loads. This will cause issues and why would ya wait till ya need to shoot some 3.5" shells to see if it will malfunction again? Just take some 3" shells and run them thru before deer season on a pattern board and see if that does not fix the malfunction, it will also tell you where your shells you will be using for deer are patterning! POI!

• 1 month later...

I have been hunting over 20 years. I have nearly every type of duck on my wall......except for the king greenie! Never shot a mallard drake in my life. I know, I know, how could that be. Dont ask. Been through, teal, wigeon, canvasbacks, you name it, its on the wall. Ok now back on topic. Ahhhh my 1500 dollar paperweight. Well I had a Browning BPS for 13 years. Finally, one day, two GREENHEADS came in, I shot the hen, pumped the gun and the forend came right off along with all my shells. Bye bye, drake. So what did i do. Probably the same thing every hunter does in that situation. I went out to buy the very best gun i could find. "The Benelli SBEII". The gun was great. Dove loads cycled like nothing. Then duck season starts. It didnt jam for teal season, fired 2 3/4 shells. Never a jam with dove loads either. But now came big duck season. So im out in the flooded grass. And we see a group of about 10 greenheads and 4 teal working. We call and they circle and circle and circle. Finally two come down with the teal, they commit, heck i see the orange feet and start to shake. I shoot the lead teal with my first shot, aim right at the cupped greenhead, and ...............nothing. I look down and ive got a wonderful spent hull sticking out of my gun. My buddy was so kind to shoot the greenhead though :( . Since that day, i have had problems all year long with shooting 3 and 3 1/2 shells. I have used everything from Federal to Winchester cheapo Xperts, to primo 35$ shells. I cant get it to stop jamming. Ive broken it down. Gun scrubbed the entire thing. Oiled it, not oiled it....still jamming. Im a lefty. I can't find another good autoloader in a left handed gun. I thought my problems were over when i found the SBEII. But unfortunately they seem to just be starting. So sad!!! After this season, im sending it back. If i can't get it fixed i dont know what ill have to do. I guess start shooting right handed. Oh fun! Well, the curse of the Greenhead still continues. What causes this???? Why do these guns seem to have this problem. With mine, obviously its not due to bad ammo. It happens with them all 3 inches or 3 1/2 inches. Its not due to being dirty either! Help!

Send it in before season opens,some of your frustration will go away! knowing of a problem and doing nothing about it did not fix it and if ya think Benelli is fixin shotguns during season you will be waiting a while for the repair! Ya gotta break this gun in, also any gun can malfunction as you mentioned your Browning. I was told to shoot the heaviest load i planned to ever use for breakin and have not had a malfunction yet and i shoot the light loads for skeet with NO problem. What kinda lube/oil ya use and are the malfunctions with one shell or just a variety of all? Seems the way ya explain it it does not break down to a specific shell, which is strange because most owners know which shells will not cycle in their SBEII! I mainly shoot winchesters but federals work for a lotta people with out issues!! My Gun Dealer said whatever ya do break it in the way our Benelli Rep said to do it! heaviest shells ya planned to ever shoot in it. has something to do with spring memorization is what they tried to explain to me but i would think you fixed that issue from what ya said. Send it in get a RA # and let them look at it before season rolls around again and good luck!! I feel it is a lack of proper lubrication or quality lubrication but being from Arkansas i have been known to be wrong on occasion!:)

I have a Legacy that malfunctioned a couple of times while I was pheasant hunting but it was my fault.The reason the gun didnt kick out the hull and load the 2nd shell was because I had lubed the rails on the bolt and it was pretty cold out.I had used a very light grease but still too heavy.The bolts on those guns are chromed so they run alot better with really thin oil or nothing at all.I use EEZOX,a very thin synthetic,to lube the bolts in my Benelli's now!No problems.I have a SBE that has jammed once,it pulled a huge piece of corn fodder into the action along with the shell while pheasant hunting.That was the only time it has ever failed to fire.

LOL Well, i broke down the gun before the weekend and litterally took it completely apart. I scrubbed everything then oiled it, let it soak in. then wiped clean. 3 days straight and no jams. Used 3 1/2 and 3 inch shells. Worked perfectly. When i cleaned it, it looked as if some of the metal from the gun flaked off and got caught in the action. I talked to another owner as well as a gunsmith of one and they said theirs did the same thing. After a complete breakdown and cleaning, the gun works fine. I am guessing after shooting the larger stuff, extra metal from the gun can break off and get stuck. By the way yesterday, finally shot that greenhead ive been waiting 21 years to shoot! Im now extremely relieved i have a working gun.

The spring and button in the magazine has to be clean. My new nelli done this because the buffer leaked out of my expensive extended range turkey loads into the magazine and jammed upon emptying after hunt. had to disassemble mag and clean and i also oiled it as it was not smooth with no lube.