New Member SBE II Owner & Minor Issues

Canexpat

Hi everyone. Proud new owner of a SBE II, left hand, in black, and synthetic furniture.

I don't have much experience with shotguns; my other shotguns are a HD Remington 870 Police pump, and a recently purchased,used, Browning BPS pump, I liked the bottom eject.

Until I bought the SBE II I would shoot clays with friends using the 870. After a couple months of abuse from everyone I broke down and got it right.

I love the gun. The only failures (two) I've experienced were a result of my unfamiliarity with my weapon.

My issues:

• The gun has a very sloppy forestock. When I take a shooting position I am aware of the forestock rolling slightly in my hand. A minor distraction, yet a distraction nonetheless. I don't consider this to be normal.
  • I have yet to be able to completely remove the forestock, when cleaning, for fear I damage something. I've tried gentle force and I stop, I should be able to completely remove it from the barrel, correct?

• I recently joined a trap club and a member suggested I obtain a shell catcher. My searches have proven fruitless. There are suggestions for the Birchwood Casey model which do not appear to work with the left hand version of the SBE II. I like the discreet appearance of the T & S however they do not produce a unit for this gun either, according to their website. Has anyone modified an existing shell catcher or made one which performs adequately? I'd rather not use a rubber band.

I was surprised to find this site the other night and look forward to contributing in some small way and learning from you all. I hope more people discover this forum.

Regards,

Canexpat

SBEII probably not a good choice for a trap club gun and majority of shooter prefer SXS or O/U i would go with a O/U myself. If ya only had one person complaining about emptys let him pick them up since he is the one worried about them! My trap club considers the money you pay for a round is for shooting not cleaning hulls and they do not expect you to pick them up, but i understand all the old timers that have dedicated 4 gun trap outfits and their quirks! Sportmans Warehouse has a couple different shell catchers but they seem like they would be useless? never tried one and just kick the hulls out of your path!

Tucker 301, thanks for the lead and info, I appreciate it very much.

Hogwild, I think you are absolutely correct, the SBE II would be a very poor choice for a trap gun. My mindset was to select a first shotgun which provided the utmost of versatility. Down the road I would love to buy a gun specifically for trap and sporting clays. What do you have for O/U?

Regards,

Canexpat

do not own one yet and try to stay away from skeet range and just do trap, the range miester has a magnet on a stick and is required to keep hulls cleaned up, keep score and throw trap!! most of the range workers here are retired or ex military. this will be my next shotgun purchase Browning Cynergy 28" barrel 12 Ga, only wanta buy 1 range gun! did not happen this year due to wifes new car, new Diamond and 20th Anniversary in Vegas but its in the works!:D

:) She is worth most of what she got due to her being 12 years younger than i but 14K dollar Diamond could have bought 4 or 5 Cynergy's so my christmas gift should be a Browning!! Thanks for the gesture Tucker and her being a LBFM allows her to put up with my Disfunctional ways! Filipina!:D

Can't comment on the loose fore end as I don't have an SBE, just an M2 and a Monty, but for a shell catcher I will offer up a suggestion.

The next time you buy asperigus, save those big rubber bands. Then for singles just put one of those around the receiver so that it stops the shells from flinging at the shooter on the next station(s).

Now go learn to break em and have fun.

As to Tucker's comment :

The woman is still grossly undercompensated for all she has to endure.

I have to agree as that is the way I feel about my wife.

Have a good week.

Mike