Problems with M4

Stan_TheGunNut

I purchased a new Benelli M4 and was able to take it to the range today to test it out. I was using Wally World 100 round bulk pack ammo from both Federal and Winchester. The federal was #7.5 shot, 1 1/8 oz 3 dram equivalent, and the Winchester was the same except it was #8 shot.

During my range visit, I was having multiple failures to eject where the round to be ejected got caught in the action. In other instances, the gun failed to load. Sometimes when I checked it, the next round was on the lifter, and other times it was still in the magazine. Often, after the last round was fired, the bolt wouldn't lock back.

I realize some break in period might be needed for it to function properly, but this seems excessive (my M2 has functioned perfectly since I first took it out of the box). I was using the bulk birdshot simply because it is relatively inexpensive.

I guess my questions are, how long of a break in period is normally required, and what methods would you use to break it in? What cheap ammo have you found to work, or not, in your M4? Is there anything I can do, be it cleaning, changing my shooting technique, etc, that would make the gun more reliable?

Also, what's the point of a screw in cylinder choke? Has anyone used some blue loctite on it to make sure it doesn't come loose? I think I might.

Thanks for any suggestions and insight you may offer.

http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/troubleshooting.tpl would not use any kinda locktite on a choke tube, cost of getting a stuck tube out is probably expensive. this link has some info about choke maintenance

http://www.trulockchokes.com/chokeinfo.asp, i have allways heard that if your not shooting your shotgun loosen the choke and allways recheck it before shooting and allways use choke lube and keep the threads clean inside barrel and on the tube also. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4967&title=CHOKE+TUBE+LUBE this would be what ya wanta use.

Thanks for the links Hogwild. I think that tonight I'll clean the shotgun really well, and maybe swing by WallyWorld and pick up some field loads, buckshot, and maybe some slugs. Hopefully when I take it to the range tomorrow, it will function better. I'm hoping it just needs to be broken in a little bit, and will eventually run okay on the less expensive ammo.

Regarding the loctite, I don't ever see me changing the choke in this shotgun, so why not make it a little permanant. To me, Benelli should have sent it without a choke at all, and just a smooth barrel. I guess at least for now, I will just take it out and clean it, and stick it back in.

what kinda lubes and solvents ya using? you can get other tubes to use in it, and use some high brass rounds like mentioned above at least 2 or 3 boxes. choke tubes are reccomended to be cleaned after every outing or ya take the chance of ending up with a stuck choke tube which will rust the threads and ruin barrel! was it cleaned befor ya shot it?

I swung by WallyWorld and picked up some Remington, Winchester, and Federal 00 buck, and some some slugs. Hopefully I'll be able to tell a little more about how she shoots after 15 rounds of each of those. I'm also going to try and patern the gun to see where she shoots. Today I was there to make noise more than anything...I had forgotten all my targets here at home.

I also took the M4 apart and cleaned it thoroughly. I typically use Hoppes and Rem oil. Prior to the first range trip, I had only given it a once over, and not a detailed cleaning.

I also just noticed that some of the Federal ammo I grabbed is reduced recoil, so I guess I'll shoot that last. I'm not sure how that will compare to the regular stuff.

Italian Shotguns and American owners a good recipet for operator error, i have had none of them cause i took my time and read my manual and broke it in with some 3.5 Hevi-Shot and 30 of those almost killed me, took 2 trips to range and i do not try to use ammo that Benelli says ya can't use but i do use some light loads and it has never malfunctioned. Once ya get used to the Italian aspect of this shotgun you will not have any problems unless you do not know how to clean and maintain a quality weapon!:D Great that your M4 has come around and try the Militec-C it's expensive but goes a long way! Lotta people trying to multi-task with this shotgun and to me it would seem more of a home protection weapon vs hunting,bird hunting, trap and all the other stuff people us it for but to each his own!!

The manual should have worked this time, and just get a small bottle, it says to use it like 3 times and do it just before range time so the heat will help penetrate the lube better! CLP is ok also but i would not use on outside of barrel, but militec works good on outside of barrel!

I haven't ran that many low brass shells throught mine because it just does not want to load the next round. The prombelm is that the M4 was designed to handle heavy loads i'd think a persons best be would be to go find an M3 since it's pump/semi-auto