Benelli barrel burst.

Liberty or death Jr.

Looks like a stuck wad or barrel obstruction. I've seen a few of these where the shell got wet, but still partially fired. Wad sticks at the choke and with the next shot - KaBOOM.

I've also seen steel shot get wet and form a slug of rusted pellets that damages the barrel when fired. No KaBOOMS there, just bulged chokes.

He should be contacting Remington as well. I'd contact Remington first.

Everyone says "I just shot at a duck" or "I just checked the barrel for obstructions" :) This is pure ambulance-chaser speak.

How often do you check the barrel for an obstruction? After every shot? I don't ever check for obstructions :(

Tons of experts that can tell exactly what happened - should be no problem for someone to figure out what really happened.

Everyone says "I just shot at a duck" or "I just checked the barrel for obstructions" This is pure ambulance-chaser speak.

How often do you check the barrel for an obstruction? After every shot? I don't ever check for obstructions

Hit the nail on the head there Mud, I never check for obstructions either. My uncle blew up a shotgun once. He tripped while on a bear hunt right into some mud and snow, didn't check for obstructions. Tried killing something with buckshot and KaBOOM, barrel in two.

Back around 15-20 years ago, I was over at my uncles house admiring his new Remington 1100. I suggested we go shoot it, and he said sure. He had never fired it, but had taken it hunting sometime during the previous week. During that time, he had turned over on his ATV. Anyone see where this is going?

He loaded up his shotgun, aimed at a can we set in front of the hill behind his house, and BOOM!. I looked, he looked, and the can, bushes, nothing had been hit. I looked down at the barrel, and it was split on the side. I'm guessing the shot hit some mud or other obstruction, and blew out. I don't know where it went.

Remington was kind enough to replace his barrel for him, and he still has the shotgun. I wish I had pictures of the blown up barrel. Anyway, based on that experience, the link looks like a barrel obstruction to me. I hope he gets his barrel replaced by one or the other of the manufacterers.