Best Turkey Chokes

Spur Collector

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Does TruGlo Strut Stopper Extreme or Primos Jellyhead make a choke for the M2 or SBEII? Is their constriction .665 or .655?

I have the 12 ga M2 (3"). Has anyone done patterning for the 3" loads or is their no significant differnece between 3" and 3.5" lead loads? I'd like to try my M2 this spring and see how it pounds turkeys in comparison to my 'ol 870 w/ MadMax .665 choke.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

DC, I pretty much shoot 3" exclusively from my SBE & SBE2 guns on turkey but I have not yet used any choke in my SBE2 other than a Rhino (.660")......I just ordered a MadMax in .665" for the SBE2 from cabelas for $19.88 (non-ported) to test some HighDensity Federals.

I think MudHen is using the JellyHead in his SBE2 and is getting great results....search the threads for his patterning info....he is shooting 3-1/2" if memory serves me but I don't recall his favorite load.

good luck!

DC, I pretty much shoot 3" exclusively from my SBE & SBE2 guns on turkey but I have not yet used any choke in my SBE2 other than a Rhino (.660")......I just ordered a MadMax in .665" for the SBE2 from cabelas for $19.88 (non-ported) to test some HighDensity Federals.

The .660 Rhino patterns well with my favorite reloads....I have worked up some buffered copper plated and nickle plated duplex loads that perform as well as the Nitro stuf but for a lot less coin!

I think MudHen is using the JellyHead in his SBE2 and is getting great results....search the threads for his patterning info....he is shooting 3-1/2" if memory serves me but I don't recall his favorite load.

good luck!

Hey all,

Does TruGlo Strut Stopper Extreme or Primos Jellyhead make a choke for the M2 or SBEII? Is their constriction .665 or .655?

I have the 12 ga M2 (3"). Has anyone done patterning for the 3" loads or is their no significant differnece between 3" and 3.5" lead loads? I'd like to try my M2 this spring and see how it pounds turkeys in comparison to my 'ol 870 w/ MadMax .665 choke.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

I have found that in my guns, 3.5" patterns much better than 3". I've tried maybe a dozen different comparison tests.

Yes, there is a JH for the M2/SBE II, .660. I have had decent results with this choke and 3.5" Win XR #6's.

The Tru-Glo SSX also is available for the M2/SBE II, .643. I have heard the .643 SSX is the bomb w/XR #6's, and I have one on the way. I won't be able to shoot for a few days, so I can't post photos until around the 23rd/24th.

Patterning Benellis for turks has not been a simple task for me....

These guns do seem to be shipped from the factory with anti turkey hunting demons packed in the box with the gun.You have to have a passion for shooting at paper if you are want to mash birds with maximum confidence with these guns.

When you get it right,it is the most rewarding thing,but getting it wrong and trying new things is what you find yourself doing the most.

eagle, i personally think a .655" choke is too tight for the #5's and way too much choke for HS or HD loads (winXR)....i would lean toward a .670" or .675" when shooting HS or HD loads!

It has been my experience that this dense shot shoots better patterns in slightly more open chokes.....i've had good success shooting #6's and some experimental #7-1/2" (reloads) of high density shot in tighter chokes (.660-.665")......most manufactures of both Hevi-Shot & High Density ammo will recommend .675" as the tightest choke to consider for this ammo!

i'm sure others will have some comments on this.....contradicting my own experience but that's what is so great about these forums, you can get so many opinions! ;)

I am curious too--just purchased a M2 and bought some Winchester XR #5's and curious to see what choke will be the best. Thinking about Kicks .655 to start w/. If you guys narrow it down through your own research and development, pass it on. Thanks again.

DA

XR's are a somewhat different HD shot. They are much more uniform and true to size. I have been able to stay pretty close to copper coated lead when it comes to constrictions.

My SBE II likes XR #5's through a Rhino 2" .660. It also shoots them fine through the .660 Jellyhead.

.655 mights still be a bit too tight even for the regular shaped XR. Maybe try #6's too?

Regular slag Hevi-Shot certainly likes more open chokes because the shot is so far from regular shaped. You have snowman shot, oblong shot, and all sorts of shapes and sizes. Over on the NWTF website, lots of guys cut open HS shells. #6 HS can be size #2-#9.

10 Gauge, Mudhen and CH,

Thanks for your advice. I'm sort of a perfectionist so your advice cuts my work down and gets me closer to a correct choke shooting my M2. Since I'm limited to 3" (which is plenty for turkey under 40 yards) and like to shoot 5's given vegetation when turkey season opens in Missouri, the .665 seems logical. If the Jellyhead flies for Mudhen, it may be a good start for me. Hearing good things about Indian Creek when paired with 3" 2 oz #5s.

I've also herard the new Federal shells w/ Flightcontrol wads are working well in many Benelli's. Would like to try these and report back to all.

MH, please do tell us how your patterning goes with the TruGlo SSX. Seems pretty tight for the conventional lead loads I prefer (3", 2 oz, #5s). It'll be interesting to see your findings.

Thanks All!!

Kevin

Hi guys,

Does anyone know which Truglo part # is correct for the Benelli M2 (Crio Plus .723 bbl just like the SBEII)?

Truglo web site is not clear.

One is for Beretta Extrema, Optima Plus choke.

The other is for Benelli mobi le choke.

Neither one sounds correct, but I guess Truglo manages to sell some...

DuckChaser, I just bought a Rhino .670. I will be shooting heavy shot and Winchester Supreme Extended Range in both 5's and 6's. I had real good results from the Winchester ammo last year but that was from a different gun. I used the Winchester in the 870 I had and it shot good as well. I'm hoping it works good in the SBE. I will keep you informed.

sputter, the optimua plus is the same choke as the cryo plus.

duck, i'm partial to the #5's myself but some of my "tighter" chokes shoot (pattern) #6's better....don't fall prey to sticking to one shot size because your gun and choke combo might like a different size!

mud, i agree with you on Hevi-Shot it is the most un-uniform (is that a word) shot I've ever seen with respect to size, but I think this is why it has done so well in some of the NWTF competitions in the past. We (handloaders & shotshell mfg) use buffer to fill the voids and prevent the pellets from deforming (creates flyers) and to some extent this is what happens when shot size varies. I make some buffered tri-plex loads for my 10ga that consist of 4x5x6's and a load that is 5X6X7-1/2.....this is what the boys at Nitro do as well....the patterns tend to be much better (99%@35yds & very dense in the head & neck region) than say #5 or #6. Some people will argue that duplex & tri-plex loads are not good because of the difference in energy between the different size shot but 2 dimentional patterns don't know this! Now the "shot string" should show the energy difference but i have no way of accurately measuring "shot string"....i've tried some crazy stuff but thats a whole other thread! Let's say for the sake of argument the #4's hit the target (turkey) before the #5's and the #6's are bringing up the rear does the target (turkey) really care?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know which Truglo part # is correct for the Benelli M2 (Crio Plus .723 bbl just like the SBEII)?

Truglo web site is not clear.

One is for Beretta Extrema, Optima Plus choke.

The other is for Benelli mobi le choke.

Neither one sounds correct, but I guess Truglo manages to sell some...

The SSX Beretta Mobil Choke/Benelli Standard choke (pre-Crio Choke for the most part) Tru-Glo part # is TG155X, .643.

The SSX Beretta Optima Plus/Benelli Crio (Plus) choke Tru-Glo part # is TG154X, .643. This is for the SBE II/M2.

Thanks Mudhen and 10gauge for the info. I called Kicks Chokes and they told me that the Winchester XR #5 was a good choice and recommended a xxx (.658) comp-n-choke. I guess I will start there and see what happens.

i'm confused??? you called Kick's and they told you to use a "comp-n-choke"??? those are different companies am i missing something???

eagle, i didn't realize they were the same company...learn something new every day! i have both chokes in my turkey choke tube "collection", too.

just curious though, i've heard negative things with respect to "comp-n-chokes" and heavier than lead shot....i guess if the person at Kick's told you it was fine to shoot "hard" shot from the comp-n-choke that tight (.658") they must have changed something....maybe the one your getting is ported???

see this link;

http://www.comp-n-choke.com/FAQ.html

10gauge, I hear ya, I even told him about your comments, but he insisted that the .658 and the Win XR #5 was a good combination. I think I am going to try this set up and see what happens. If you want me to I can post my results. Thanks for your input.

I dont think Win XR and Hevi-shot is the same thing, are they? I may call him again to get confirmation.

10gauge,

called Kicks again and spoke w/ another individual and best I can tell is the diff in Kicks and Comp-n-choke is the metal and they way they are ported. He talked me into getting a Kicks .665 for the Win XR #5's. I am going to start w/ that load and go from there. Am going to shoot it this weekend and I will let you know.

DA