Best Turkey Chokes

Spur Collector

10gauge,

called Kicks again and spoke w/ another individual and best I can tell is the diff in Kicks and Comp-n-choke is the metal and they way they are ported. He talked me into getting a Kicks .665 for the Win XR #5's. I am going to start w/ that load and go from there. Am going to shoot it this weekend and I will let you know.

Eagle, a .665" sounds like a better choice in my opinion. The Winchester Supreme Xtended Range that I'm familiar with is a High Density shot (10% denser than lead) and Hevi-Shot is also high density shot as is Remington HD....these are all "heavier than lead" loads and should be used with more open chokes than standard "lead" turkey loads. I've found .665-.675" chokes tend to work best with HighDensity shot.

keep us posted...if the end of the choke blows off you'll know the shot was too hard and/or the choke was too tight! ;)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hevi-shot is hard, hard as steel in fact so it will perform like steel in a full choke ie; BLOW IT UP. alot of chokes say for use with lead or hevi-shot only but that is because hevi-shot used to be soft but the formula was changed to make it hard.:eek: as far as i now all other nontoxic shot (the expensive stuff) out there is soft not as soft as lead but close enough to be shot from a full choke. hevi-shot even came out with some its called Classic Double " for your vintage double". hope this helps

Jeff

This may be a stupid question...but when looking to buy a Primos Jellyhead...is there a certain model for the Benelli SBEII? I saw some at the store yesterday that were labeled as Beretta/Benelli, but wasn't sure if this model was OK for the SBEII. If so, I guess I only need to focus on constriction size? (Not looking to damage my gun or choke this turkey season!)

I currently have a Kicks GT and after reading more thoroughly through this topic may take it back for a Jellyhead. TIA!

This may be a stupid question...but when looking to buy a Primos Jellyhead...is there a certain model for the Benelli SBEII? I saw some at the store yesterday that were labeled as Beretta/Benelli, but wasn't sure if this model was OK for the SBEII. If so, I guess I only need to focus on constriction size? (Not looking to damage my gun or choke this turkey season!)

I currently have a Kicks GT and after reading more thoroughly through this topic may take it back for a Jellyhead. TIA!

T2,

Chokes marked Beretta/Benelli or Ber/Ben are typically MC style or "Mobil Chokes" and work in SBE's, M1S90's, Nova's but NOT in the newer SBE2 gun. The SBE2 has Crio+ chokes (CrioPlus) and these are the same choke as the Beretta Optima+ (OptimaPlus). The Crio+ choke is longer than the MC style.

Before you send the Kick's back I'd shoot it with a couple of loads.....I shoot the Kick's GT in my SBE and it shoots a great pattern with Winchester XX Magnums or Federal Turkey Loads (#5 or #6...6's are best in my gun).

stmike makes a valid point regarding #6 Pheasant loads....these are typically copper plated shotshells and tend to shoot nearly as well as turkey loads....and pheasant loads are much cheaper! The main difference, aside from finding a 3-1/2" pheasant load, is most pheasant loads are not buffered where turkey loads are. buffering helps to improve pattern performance at distances beyond 25 yards by preventing pellet deformation in tighter turkey chokes and for this reason most ammo makers use "buffered shot" in Turkey loads!

10 Gauge...thx.

I'll definately try the Kick's before taking it back and will look into the pheasant loads. One more question, will the Kick's GT .655 handle the "heavier than lead' loads ok? I finally found some Winchester Supreme XR #5's and #6's and was considering using them. Thanks for all the help fellas!

10 Gauge...thx.

I'll definately try the Kick's before taking it back and will look into the pheasant loads. One more question, will the Kick's GT .655 handle the "heavier than lead' loads ok? I finally found some Winchester Supreme XR #5's and #6's and was considering using them. Thanks for all the help fellas!

Kick's website says not for Hevi Shot. It doesn't mention XR's. Other websites like www.midwestturkeycall.com says that Kicks are ideal for XR's.

I'm thinking that XR's are not quite the same as HS. Similar, just not the same.

I'd say you are fine with Kicks and XR's. You may not like the pattern from the Kicks though, I have not liked any Kicks pattern with XR's. BUT, the best patterning gun I have ever owned was a SBE with a Kick's .660 and lead #6's. Don't even get me started on why I sold that gun :(

mudhen is right XR's are high density or heavier than lead but NOT as dense as Hevi-Shot 13 for example. Not ALL HD shot is created equal....lead is around 10-11g/cc density....std Hevi-Shot (Remington) is supposed to be 11-12g/cc and Environmetal's Hevi-Shot 13 is 13g/cc. The Winchester XR actually falls between lead and the std Hevi-Shot around 11.10-11.89 from what I can find published on this product. Remington changed their Hevi-Shot a couple of years ago by lowering their density in some waterfowl loads (9-10g/cc) and it isn't as good a lead but it's better than steel!

My Kick's is a .660" and like mud say's it shoots #6 copper plated lead better than anything i've tested....it shoots 3" better than 3-1/2", too! This is my favorite combo in the SBE & might be in my SuperNova (have yet to test it). Over 50 years ago a couple of guys did some research and found 2-3/4" shells patterned better in 3" chambered guns.....and I've seen the same in my 3-1/2" guns, 3" shells pattern better than 3-1/2" in my testing.

I'd test those Win XR's in the Kick's .655" tube but i agree with mud you may get better performance with a more open choke.....something like .665" or even a .670" with #5's and "higher density" shot (has been my experience anyway). Try some good ole "inexpensive" Federal Turkey loads in 3" & 3-1/2" #6 shot, too and you might be surprised how these will perform in the Kick's .655" tube!

Mud, I wish we lived closer it would be fun getting together and comparing notes it looks as if we both have covered similar ground over the years with respect to patterning. The two gentlemen I mentioned above who tested patterns over 50 years ago put their work in print. If you have never read their work I recommend it....it's highly technical because it was "engineering" research back in the day....look for "The MYSTERIES OF SHOTGUN PATTERNS" by George G. Oberfell & Charles E. Thompson. The stuff they uncovered over a half century ago is still useful today and unfortunately their work is so obscure today that many of us are "repeating history" unnecessarily!

Mudhen...man have you been a lot of help...THANKS!

What shells would you recommend for the Kick's .655 tube? 10Gauge has said Winchester XX Magnums or Federal Turkey loads. I have also heard Winchester Supreme #5's. Any experience?

I might try Win HV copper coated lead #6's. Win XX's might be good as well. I'd like to say try Fed HW #7's, but they have a flite-control wad and are not recommended in ported chokes.

I'd go with 6's over 5's as larger shot tends to like more open constrictions.

I'd test some 3" shells first. I've heard that some folks have good luck with 3" shells in tighter chokes.

Just got my jellyhead choke for my SBE II and patterned it. Tried Win HV 3.5 #5 and #6, Federal HV flight control 3.5 #5, Federal Mag-Shock flight control 3.5 #5 and #6.

Went with the Federal Mag-Shock 3.5 #6, downright awesome pattern.

Curious to how well 3" in the above loads will do. Would also like to try Hevi 13.

No, I did not get to try any Win Ex. Range yet. I hope to be able to try them and Hevi 13 before season though. I like 3.5's but have heard that 3" sometimes shoots better out of 3.5" guns. Plenty of experimeting left to do. My SBE II definitly did not like any of the high velocity loads from Win or Fed.

• 2 weeks later...
so much info. Bought the Kicks .655 for my SBE2. Read so much on this site,I was about to return it today for a jellyhead. Now I have no idea what to keep.

Keep that Kicks... That's what my buddy shoots in his SBEII and it is great. I believe you will like it. He shoots Winchester Supremes and loves it. I've seen several big toms die in front of it.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on my supernova and its on backorder from local gunshop and I'm looking for a choke also. I've read all the posts about chokes and haven't seen anything about hevi-shot choke's. Has anyone tried them? By the way I'm the new guy. Thanks, David

• 8 years later...

The chokes that came with my SBE III was garbage. I was very frustrated with the gun because like many others I was shooting 4-5 inches high at 20 yards. I was ready to get it drilled and tapped for an adjustable red dot when I tried the Carlson Long Beard .665 choke and absolutely obliterated a turkey target at 20 yards, put over 50 pellets at 40, and 19 at 60. I was shooting the 3-1/2" Winchester Long beard no.5 shot. Still has a lot of kick but I don't mind with results like that. I can take a kick when I know the bird is going down! 

• 3 weeks later...

My Indian Creek performs amazing in my Super Nova Steady Grip using HEVI 13  3" #6 2oz  and Winchester Long Beard 3" #6  1-3/4oz.  Here is a review I did for another forum.

---------------------------------------------

After hearing all the hype about this new turkey load I thought I would give it a try just to see how it performed in my set-up. Up until now I have tried several different turkey loads with varying results. Before I get into the results let me explain how I test each shell.

I first make sure my gun is zero'd in - I get up close & personal and use target loads to make sure I am punching out the bull of the target like a clean paper punch and then I back up to 20yds and throw a known performing turkey load at paper so make sure the pattern is evenly surrounding the center of the target - that verifies I am zero'd in on the target. My targets are standard 11x17 pieces of paper with a 10" circle around a bull (used only for centering the scope). I do this every year to make sure my scope has not been bumped or knocked out of alignment.

For my evaluation I shoot the same 3 shells at different distances (20, 30 & 40yds). What I am looking for is a consistent (and dense) pattern around the center of the target - you do not want holes or an inconsistent pattern. I only count the hits on the 40yd target because the 20 is usually a big jagged hole and the 30 is still too dense to count. The reason I count is because I want to make sure the pattern keeps its integrity out past 30yds and does not open or fall apart as the shot velocity diminishes - and it allows me to compare one shell to another. So my set up for these shell tests was a Benelli Super Nova Steady Grip topped with a matching Burris 1.75-4x20 scope and an Indian Creek Choke - like many beautiful ladies good ole Nelli has had some 'work' done to her - cones were lengthened, and I took some weight off the trigger and took some of the creep out of the trigger so she snaps nicely at just around 3lbs.

My present turkey load for my gun set-up is the infamous HEVI 13 (3" 2oz #6) - the reason why I say infamous is because the shells are $8/shell (USD) and are like hens teeth to fine up here in Canada, but there is a reason why they are $8 shell........these things are deadly!! I have seen lots of #4's and #5's and that illegal blend that BPS always markets this time of the year #5, #6, & #7.5, but the 2oz #6 seems to be rare, but for good reason. I am down to my last 7 shells and that was part of the reason why I am looking for options.

HEVI 13
I have tried a couple of different HEVI 13 shells and the 3" 2oz #6 patterned the best. I tied the 3" 1-3/4 oz #6 but the results were terrible! I was getting better patterns out of standard Winchester HV's but when I tried the 2oz load the results were amazing!! They have a very consistent pattern and since these are denser than lead they will be harder hitting then a standard copper plated lead shot. I have killed many turkeys with these shells and have taken some shots north of 50yds and they drop the birds in their tracks. Here are two targets I shot at 40yds with HEVI 13.......one had 162 hits and a very consistent pattern and one had 154 hits and you can see that I pulled the shot a bit........but is would still be one dead bird regardless.

Winchester Long Beard XR
As I mentioned earlier I have been hearing nothing but good things about the new(er) Winchester Long Beard so I decided to give it a whirl. I did no research on what shell to try so I went with my standard offering of a 3" #6 (1-3/4 oz). First thing I noticed was the way the hull was crimped - it looked like a solid piece of plastic with perforations where it would have been crimped. Probably waterproof but the overall quality of the shell looked very good. My 20yd shot was a ragged hole (which even a target load can do) but my 30yd shot showed lots of promise as the pattern was very dense and consistent around the center of the target. I went back to 40yds and threw a shell into Nelli and steadied for my shot and slowly squeezed the trigger and BOOOM. I racked the action sending the spent shell to my right and then I set the gun down and got up and walked towards the target. As I get closer the pattern comes into view and my exact words were WTF!! The pattern was amazing..........seriously it was really amazing!   Anything in that 10" circle was simply dead. Winchester definitely nailed it this time - these Long Beard XR's perform better (at least from a pattern point of view), but I cannot talk to the downrange energy difference.  I would assume that the HEVI 13 would have more down range energy because of the more dense shot compared to the standard copper plated lead that the XR uses.

Now.....what to do on the 25th........what shell to bring with me?? I think I will stick with my present set-up because I think there is something to be said about the higher downrange energy of the ‘heavier than lead’ shot over standard copper plated lead. Now with only 7 shells left of HEVI 13 I feel comfortable that I now have a replacement that performs equally as well and is a fraction of the cost. 

HEVI 13.JPG

Winchester Long Beard.jpg

CXRU1304.JPG

IMG_1604.JPG