Is this normal for an M4??

No F-Bdy Bs

I havent gotten a chance to get out and shoot my new M4 since I picked it up yesterday.

I was messing around with it today, learning how to take it down and what not.

I loaded 5 shells into the gun. Racked one in the chamber and then attempted to unload it. The gun was requiring me to depress the cartridge drop lever each time I cycled the action to get a shell to move from the mag tube to the chamber. Is this normal?

I was under the impression that I could simply cycle the action and empty the mag.

I assume that under normal firing operations, that this will not be necessary.

That is completely normal. To take a round from the mag onto the lifter either requires the trigger to be pulled or the drop lever pushed. If you want to unload the complete mag tub, you push in the shell stop and release the shell into your hand one at a time.

Cool, thanks

Im just paranoid I guess after dropping the coin that I did on this sucker:D

That is completely normal. To take a round from the mag onto the lifter either requires the trigger to be pulled or the drop lever pushed. If you want to unload the complete mag tub, you push in the shell stop and release the shell into your hand one at a time.
start reading your manual ,,,,,it will help you alot,,plus its best to use dummy fake 12 ga shells,,you don't want a fatal mishap,,,,,,,,