Newbie wants to buy a SBEII

DoctorW

Hi, Guys,

I have a Nova pump. But I am thinking of getting a SBEII. Anybody knows where I could get the cheapest price? Now it seems that everywhere the price is about 1399 for a sythethic black stock with comfort Tech. Any cheaper place?

Besides, a SBEII without comfort Tech would be about 200 cheaper. So I wonder if the comfort Tech really awesome and worth of the 200 bucks?

In a gunshop I looked at a SBEII, and found the stock butt rubber and the rubber cheek piece seems pretty loose. I wonder after many rounds shooting, would it get more and more looser? How about your experience with that?

Thanks a lot!

I usually use Nova to hunt ducks. And almost every time I fire 50-60 rounds of 3-1/2 shells. And the recoil seems acceptable to me.

I wonder how much recoil can the comfort tech stock reduce? Benelli ad says 48%, is that true? How does it feel? Does it make shooting a 3-1/2 like shooting a 2-3/4?

I am a little worried about the reliability of the stock. Would the cheverons and the rubber cheek piece get loose after firing many rounds? I really hate anything get loose, either on my gun or on my car. That would make me feel crapy.

Compared to my Browning BPS my SBE II is a kitten. Yes I know Brownings have firm buttpads and it's not an auto, but there's no comparison. I can and have shot my Benelli all day, 250 rounds, and gone out again the next day for a couple more boxes, feeling fine; not tender or tense.

Now throw a few 3 1/2's down the pipe, and yes they get my attention.:)

Thank you guys.

Now there is another thing I do not know is: should I choose a black stock or camo one?

The camo looks cool, but I am afraid it may not fit any enviorment for different season or different hunting areas. For a black stock, I can also use some camo wrap to cover it.

And I do not know if the camo coating is strong or not. Is it more stronger than the black finish, or the same? I do not know how they made the camo coating. Did they put the camo coating on the black or they just put the camo on the metal surface? And will the camo last for a long time?

Could it protect the gun from corrosion? When I used my Nova to hunt duck, each time it got wet and rust, although it was not hard to remove the rust. I just spray some break free on the barrel and wipe off the rust. What would it do to a camo barrel?

And I wonder if I use powder solvent or breakfree CLP or Rem Oil or such things to clean the gun, would they destory the camo coating?

If you have a camo one, and have a long time experience on that, your experience will be highly appreicated.

I used to want to look for a black one, but first it is about $100 more, and second, sometimes for some specific version (say SBEII 24"bbl) I could not find a black one in the local store, only the camo one. I wonder if the camo really worth of that $100.

Thanks.

I bought my SBEII at Cabelas for $1369 and got $150 Cabelas bucks...got 3 cases of heavy dove shells, and some other stuff. They have a deal right now for $100 Cabelas bucks with any Benelli Semiauto shotgun. I love the comfortec, and would suggest you get it. I prefer the black version. You can't beat a SBEII comfortec!! When I cleaned it I fell in love all over again. The inside is a beautiful as the outside. You won't regret it.

I recently bought a black matte SBEII & have seen significant surface rust. Many I have spoken with & read about have the same problem. CS said send it in if you'd like. Retailer suggested I get it parkerized or dipped - but to me for a $1400 gun, that's BS. I previously used Rem Oil & am now trying Breakfree CLP - but to me, that's a crock as well & I think their finish / rust protection is flawed. I have no similar problems w/ any of my other guns & have found rust just wiping the gun down inside my house - let alone in the field. I'd get the camo model. Also, the cheek pad has come loose many times - another "great" feature.

Thank you guys.

Now there is another thing I do not know is: should I choose a black stock or camo one?

The camo looks cool, but I am afraid it may not fit any enviorment for different season or different hunting areas. For a black stock, I can also use some camo wrap to cover it.

And I do not know if the camo coating is strong or not. Is it more stronger than the black finish, or the same? I do not know how they made the camo coating. Did they put the camo coating on the black or they just put the camo on the metal surface? And will the camo last for a long time?

Could it protect the gun from corrosion? When I used my Nova to hunt duck, each time it got wet and rust, although it was not hard to remove the rust. I just spray some break free on the barrel and wipe off the rust. What would it do to a camo barrel?

And I wonder if I use powder solvent or breakfree CLP or Rem Oil or such things to clean the gun, would they destory the camo coating?

If you have a camo one, and have a long time experience on that, your experience will be highly appreicated.

I used to want to look for a black one, but first it is about $100 more, and second, sometimes for some specific version (say SBEII 24"bbl) I could not find a black one in the local store, only the camo one. I wonder if the camo really worth of that $100.

Thanks.

I recently bought a black matte SBEII & have seen significant surface rust. Many I have spoken with & read about have the same problem. CS said send it in if you'd like. Retailer suggested I get it parkerized or dipped - but to me for a $1400 gun, that's BS. I previously used Rem Oil & am now trying Breakfree CLP - but to me, that's a crock as well & I think their finish / rust protection is flawed. I have no similar problems w/ any of my other guns & have found rust just wiping the gun down inside my house - let alone in the field. I'd get the camo model. Also, the cheek pad has come loose many times - another "great" feature.

That is disappointing.

I took my Nova for duck hunting, and each time got rust on the barrel, but when I went back home, I just used breakfree and easily wiped off the rust. My friend has a Remington, and each time his gun got even more rust and he said it always took him hard work to remove the rust.

I do not know if the camo version will behave better.

To me, the reason why I do not like the camo version is: I just think the camo pattern looks ugly and too complicated and it may not necessarily match the enviroment you will go. If it is just light desert yellow camo or army digital camo, I will like that. But I hate to see the complicated patterns, like trees, leaves,grasses on the gun.

My 4 year old $1400 black synthetic comfortech SBEII has no rust and shows only normal signs of wear in other places.

Cared for properly, the black finish is fine.

Ignore it, or any other finish, and it will begin to show the signs of neglect.

The camo finishes will eventually get their bumps, nicks, and bruises, but it can be a more carefree finish, because there are fewer exposed metal parts.

I don't think the camo guns are finished before dipping.

The dipping process clads the metal surfaces in a vinyl material, making them impervious to moisture.

When the finish chips, simply touch it up with camo paint.

Solvents used in cleaning supplies and insect repellents can harm the camo finish, bleaching them out and making them brittle.

Use a damp cloth and wipe down the exterior finishes.

Clean the barrel and interior components as you would any other firearm.

50-60 3.5" per outing?

Are you shooting snow geese, or are you skybusting?

Anyway, like the man says, if that kind of abuse doesn't bother you with the Nova, then the SBEII sure isn't going to hurt anymore.

I'm not convinced about all of the marketing claims on recoil reduction on the comfotech system, but I've never had a problem mine either, so who cares?

As far as pricing goes, you'll simply need to shop around.

I bought mine at Gander Mountain and got a good deal.

Reeds in MN sells online and will ship to an FFL dealer for transfer to you.

Shipping and transfer will run you about $50 - $60 additional, so keep that in mind.

Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, AuctionArms, etc. can produce some good deals from time to time.

I'll continue to use mine as is until the finish gets fugly.

Then I'll send it to Bridsong or another reputable smith and have quality coating applied to it.

Do you think it's possible they have changed manufacturing techniques, including coatings, finishes, grades of steel? - especially given the gun costs roughly the same over at least 4 years. I've heard others say their 6+ yr old SBE cost them about the same as today. Consider the inflation we've seen in everything over this time. Ask around w/ those that have or know of others w/ the black matte finish - you'll find complaints. I know I have & I've heard others w/ camo coatings brag about this fact as well. Are you surprised my own retailer where I bought the gun suggested I get the gun "re-coated/re-finished" - when he knows it's g-damn brand new? I know you've drank the cool-aide, but also wonder if you work for the company.

My 4 year old $1400 black synthetic comfortech SBEII has no rust and shows only normal signs of wear in other places.

Cared for properly, the black finish is fine.

Ignore it, or any other finish, and it will begin to show the signs of neglect.

The camo finishes will eventually get their bumps, nicks, and bruises, but it can be a more carefree finish, because there are fewer exposed metal parts.

I don't think the camo guns are finished before dipping.

The dipping process clads the metal surfaces in a vinyl material, making them impervious to moisture.

When the finish chips, simply touch it up with camo paint.

Solvents used in cleaning supplies and insect repellents can harm the camo finish, bleaching them out and making them brittle.

Use a damp cloth and wipe down the exterior finishes.

Clean the barrel and interior components as you would any other firearm.

50-60 3.5" per outing?

Are you shooting snow geese, or are you skybusting?

Anyway, like the man says, if that kind of abuse doesn't bother you with the Nova, then the SBEII sure isn't going to hurt anymore.

I'm not convinced about all of the marketing claims on recoil reduction on the comfotech system, but I've never had a problem mine either, so who cares?

As far as pricing goes, you'll simply need to shop around.

I bought mine at Gander Mountain and got a good deal.

Reeds in MN sells online and will ship to an FFL dealer for transfer to you.

Shipping and transfer will run you about $50 - $60 additional, so keep that in mind.

Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, AuctionArms, etc. can produce some good deals from time to time.

I'll continue to use mine as is until the finish gets fugly.

Then I'll send it to Bridsong or another reputable smith and have quality coating applied to it.