SBE Barrel Diameter ?

K Man

I know this has been answered before on this forum but I went back 26 pages and could not find it. I Tried a search and no luck there either. I will be purchasing a new SBE II when I get back to the states (Christmas gift to my self) and I know I saw on this board before a discussion/ recommendation on barrel bore diameter.

My question is what was that recommendation and what is the significance of it? Will this diameter effect what chokes you use with the gun?

Thanks for your time!

Kalvin R. Kaloz

I know this has been answered before on this forum but I went back 26 pages and could not find it. I Tried a search and no luck there either. I will be purchasing a new SBE II when I get back to the states (Christmas gift to my self) and I know I saw on this board before a discussion/ recommendation on barrel bore diameter.

My question is what was that recommendation and what is the significance of it? Will this diameter effect what chokes you use with the gun?

Thanks for your time!

Kalvin R. Kaloz

Pretty good question :)

From what I have read and viewed on TV, the inside diameter of 12 gauge Benelli barrels can vary from around .719 to .723 +- .001 or .002. Also from what I can recall, the reason for this is the bore device gets worn over use and gets replaced once they get to the .718 area.

I think the technically correct ID is .723.

What effect does this have? I guess some barrels will pattern slightly different than other barrels. Some chokes will fit more flush to the barrel wall than others.

I would think the effect would be slight and hardly noticable to most shooters.

Short of bringing your own barrel mic, I can't see how anyone could tell what the ID is when they are making a purchase.

You could bring a small flashlight to check to see how close the choke tube fits the barrel wall.

I have read that some think the guns at the .719 end don't pattern as well as guns at the .723 end. Some think the tight bore can lead to blown patterns. Don't know if it's true, it's just what I have read.