Choke Tube Stuck

womanhunter

Help! My choke tube is stuck in my Benelli Montefeltro 20-gauge shotgun. I have asked every strong man I know and it is not budging. I recently took the gun to Argentina dove hunting so it may be all the recent activity that has contributed to this problem.

What is the proper way to get the choke tube out of my gun?

Gunsmith would be a start? GL, lotta people have issues with choke tubes due to not knowing how to care for a gun with them. When ya are not actually shooting ya need to unload torque on tube to keep this from happening and a 3.00 tube of choke lube also works well when ya use it! stuck choke should not cost too much but any trip to a smith could be costly! The tool they use to remove one is a little over 100.00 bucks and not real sure what a decent price would be but it being an expensive Benelli and the availability of new barrel will probably run the removal price up a little? Gander Mountain, Briley Manufacturing can get them out but you can probably find a local smith that can get it out!!

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.gunsmiths.html

• 1 month later...

My choke tube is out and I didn't have to visit a gunsmith. Yeah! :)

My husband inserted the choke wrench and extended the handles with box-end wrenches to increase leverage for twisting. It came out hard!

What caused this problem? When I was in Argentina, I did some heavy shooting. My gun was cleaned each night by my bird boy, but he forgot to remove the choke tube and I never checked it. Shame on me! :o (For some reason mine was the only gun that was not cleaned properly)

Lesson Learned - If you are going to do heavy shooting, remove the choke tube with each cleaning. Or some would suggest that you clean your choke tubes every time you clean your gun.

I love my Benelli!

Along with the appropriate grease there is one other important thing-

Make sure you have the tube snugged all the way in, years ago when I got my first multi choke gun I shoot some clays the afternoon before dove season opened and shot pretty heavy on the opening day,

There was one thing I forgot- I, for what ever reason, left the choke tube unscrewed I am guessing around a quarter to a half turn.

Talk about a cast iron son of a gun to get loose! It doesn't take much of tiny crack to let the gunk in and then you are hatin life.

Double check them after cleaning and you should be fine.

T-H

you may still pay more for a 1oz tube of "thread" grease than you will for a 16oz cartridge of high temp moly grease! since I work for a synthetic lubricant company I don't buy greases anymore I just get free samples.......grin......per "quakes" recommendation a tube does make it easier to apply, too!

I highly recommend Permatex anti seize. It can be purchased at any auto parts store, and has never failed me. As I mentioned in another thread, I began using it on the breech plug of an inline black powder rifle that I shoot. After two or three times of having to use a breaker bar on the breech plug, I decided the grease lube I was using wasn't up to the job and went to the anti seize. Never a problem since, so I began using it on choke tubes too.

http://www.trulockchokes.com/chokeinfo.asp this is a good way to take care of your chokes and barrel, look down towards bottom of article it explains things well. i use browning midas grease on my chokes and allways clean both sets of threads and tighten choke with wrench, or gloves if it's an external choke i just tighten with my hands. i also when finished hunting allways loosen my choke to where you can remove without wrench.

biggy is ya gotta makre sure it is tight before ya do take it out to shoot next outing!! loose tube will bulge a barrel if not careful. i hate tubed shotguns allways have!! i also think improper care of any firearm can be dangerous if you are not 10% smarter than the weapon!!:p