Super Nova W/ Slug Barrel

GlennRoss

OK, I'm sure if I just call customer service they'll tell me, But...

I want a Super Nova Comfortech with a slug barrel.

Do they come like that standard or not? The Benelli website is not all that clear about it. Some spots it says "optional slug barrel" and other spots show it as a "configuration". I went to Cabella's and I've gotten conflicting info. Two guys behind the counter say "No!", and three guys say "you can special order it..."

Any one have a Super Nova Comfortech (non-camo) with the slug barrel???

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Glenn

Yes, they are obtainable in the configuration

you'e described. I just rec'd the exact same

gun ..... black Super Nova Tactical w/CmfrtTk

and 18.5" slug barrel, the tag on box shows

as follows: FPO S Nova Tact R S Slug 18.5"

CIL P/O CMFR/2V TT Mag-Stop.

Haven't shot it yet, but hopefully later today.

Good luck.

Very glad to hear that indeed the slug barrels for the Supernova actually exist and can be purchased. My local supplier claims to have contacted Benelli directly with this question and they came back with a big NO WAY.

Eager to hear back as you have a chance to shoot yours.

So now my question is whether such a slug barrel can tolerate regular lead shot loads. Can anyone look in their user guide for either the Supernova or the Nova for me? When a rifled slug barrel is in use, are there any concerns expressed about shooting lead-shot loads? I do understand that lead shot in a rifled barrel with no opportunity for a choke selection is less than optimal. Still in the field you sometimes need to know what your options are. My question is: Will lead-shot loads damage a rifled barrel in some way? Or is there possibly some kind of severe fouling of the rifling that is a problem?

If I shoot several lead-shot loads in a rifled barrel and then follow with a slug load, is there any kind of a problem with slug accuracy? Is cleaning a rifled barrel after shooting lead-shot loads any extra work?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

Is anyone going to answer this question?

So far, I've heard from two people that it's not a good idea to shoot shot through a rifled barrel because the rifling will supposedly get damaged. I disagree somewhat, since most shot is made of soft lead, and barrels are made of hard steel. But until I hear from a real expert telling me otherwise, I won't shoot shot through a rifled barrel.

• 2 years later...
Very glad to hear that indeed the slug barrels for the Supernova actually exist and can be purchased. My local supplier claims to have contacted Benelli directly with this question and they came back with a big NO WAY.

Eager to hear back as you have a chance to shoot yours.

So now my question is whether such a slug barrel can tolerate regular lead shot loads. Can anyone look in their user guide for either the Supernova or the Nova for me? When a rifled slug barrel is in use, are there any concerns expressed about shooting lead-shot loads? I do understand that lead shot in a rifled barrel with no opportunity for a choke selection is less than optimal. Still in the field you sometimes need to know what your options are. My question is: Will lead-shot loads damage a rifled barrel in some way? Or is there possibly some kind of severe fouling of the rifling that is a problem?

If I shoot several lead-shot loads in a rifled barrel and then follow with a slug load, is there any kind of a problem with slug accuracy? Is cleaning a rifled barrel after shooting lead-shot loads any extra work?

Thanks

i have not tried it, but I have heard that the shot pattern goes pretty erratic, when fired thorugh a rifled barrel.

You could always go the the "dark side" and get a rifled barrel, from Badger Defense. I have one and it seems to function like a rifled shotgun barrel. The Badger, like many slugs barrels, has a "faster" rifling twist rate (theirs is 1:26) so the chance of lead fouling is higher.

The owner of the Company said "don't use them" with lead slugs in their rifled barrel. His suggestion was to find an accurate sabot and stick with it.

Since the whole idea of a rifled barrel anyway, is better accuracy at longer distance, it kind of defeats the purpose, to fire heavy lead slugs, rifled or smooth. If that is all that is available in the field, then it would probably make do.