M2 or Super Black Eagle 2?

orange crush

I'm shopping for either a new Benelli M2 or SBE 2. I hunt mostly pheasant, but I do some waterfowl and turkey hunting. I've had my heart set on the SBE 2 for some time but was told I should go with the M2 if pheasant was going to be the primary use for the gun, as the only difference between the 2 was the SBE 2 held a 3 1/2 shell and was $200-$300 more. Also, I was considering the Franchi I-12 but was told to go with the Benelli. Anyone's insight and opinions would be greatly appreciated

I own both the LH M2 and LH SBE2, use the M2 when blocking for pheasant and use it for a waterfowl backup gun. Both are great guns and perform flawlessly in ever condition I have encountered.

As for differences, aside from 3” vs 3.5” loads, they way they breakdown and the trigger guard and in my mind are very minimal. If I were to have to choose one it would be the SBE2 for the versatility of shooting pheasant loads and waterfowl loads.

As for the Frachi I-12, if go with the best you can afford. Again, SBE2.

Good luck

With the loads out now I would go with the m2. Being a nova man, I used to shoot 3 1/2 for turkey and waterfowl. But the right 3 inch shell will work just fine. You can always buy a m2 and a reg. nova and it would about the same price and you would have the versatlity of both worlds. Nova's (8lbs) will handle the bigger loads better for waterfowl and the m2 is great for upland game.

novaking

Look at the ballistics of some of the premium waterfowl & other loads that came out with the non toxic rules. The advantage of the 3.5" was/is mostly when shooting steel shot. If you plan one shooting steel a lot you should consider it. I have one 3.5" shotgun I bought in the late 80's. I have not bought steel shot in over 10 years. Yes I still have some around. For predators, waterfowl,turkeys & all the rest a quality 3" is all I ever need. There is that 'wow' factor with the SBE & 3.5" though.

I'm shopping for either a new Benelli M2 or SBE 2. I hunt mostly pheasant, but I do some waterfowl and turkey hunting. I've had my heart set on the SBE 2 for some time but was told I should go with the M2 if pheasant was going to be the primary use for the gun, as the only difference between the 2 was the SBE 2 held a 3 1/2 shell and was $200-$300 more. Also, I was considering the Franchi I-12 but was told to go with the Benelli. Anyone's insight and opinions would be greatly appreciated

I would go with the M2 as that is what I have. It does equally well for pheasant, ducks and geese.

No sense in wrecking your shoulder with 3.5 inch when 3 inch will work if you are not sky blasting.

Mike

Orange Crush, I was in the same boat you are. I hunt mostly pheasant and quail but also hunt dove, turkey, duck and goose. I was battling going with the M2 or the SBE II. Yes, the SBE 2 is an extra $300 but it's worth it. 10 years down the road would you cough up $300 bucks to shoot 3 1/2s for that goose hunt you're going on? The SBE II is just as versatile for pheasant and smaller game but the fact is it CAN shoot 3 1/2s when you want to. Believe me, you'll be glad you did. I love my new SBE II. Let us know what you go with.

Once you've taken the SBEII apart and cleaned it there's no going back to a traditional style gun.

+1!

As long as you get a semiauto Benelli, you can'y go wrong. ;)

That said, I own the SBE2, so that's what I would recommend.

The difference I liked was having EASY access to every inch of the insides of my gun, and the mid-bead. I could care less about 3.5's then, but the more hunting experience I get, the more I appreciate the 'clean kill' factor of premium and/or high energy loads.

I vote for the SBEII.

+1!

As long as you get a semiauto Benelli, you can'y go wrong. ;)

That said, I own the SBE2, so that's what I would recommend.

The difference I liked was having EASY access to every inch of the insides of my gun, and the mid-bead. I could care less about 3.5's then, but the more hunting experience I get, the more I appreciate the 'clean kill' factor of premium and/or high energy loads.

I vote for the SBEII.

+ another vote for the SBE II.

I think the M2 is a great gun, but I also think the SBE II is much better built for the extra money.