Black Cloud vs. Heavy-steel

shoot_anything_man

i was just wondering if yall thought i should go with black cloud or heavy-steel because they are the same price where i shop? i would also like to know what shot size i should use for ducks 20-40 yards?

Thanks!

I shoot both and I find them to be totally different.

Black Cloud is plain old steel shot mixed with unfinished steel shot that just happens to make bigger holes in ducks. The Flite Control wad causes the payload to stay together longer, which in theory, can allow for longer shots. Don't use it with ported barrels, ported chokes, of wad stripper chokes. I like it for 35-45 yard shooting.

Hevi Steel is just a blend of steel and tungsten that creates a pellet heavier than plain steel. Shoot it as you would regular steel, but it gives a bit more knock-down power. If Hevi Steel is the same price as BC, it's at last year's price. Hevi Steel is $35-$40 per 25 shells in my area. I use #4's for close up work.

Pick one - one that you like and can afford and stick with it - it'll make you a better shot.

I shoot KentSteel - I tried and like Black Cloud - but I shoot kent steel.

I use the same gun for ducks an geese (SBE II) and the same speed (1500 fps) shot - I know how much to lead the birds depending on the shot the give me - their speed - and their distance.

Stay as consistent as you can and go get 'em!.

Good luck

I read a lot of information about this and I decided to start with the cheapest shells and shoot them and if they work then I'll stick with them and if not then I'll step it up some. I ended up buying winchester Expert High velocity for about $10 a box. I patterned them and the pattern looked great to me. I'm going to do some duck hunting this weekend to see how they work in the field. Hopefully, I'll whack em' and stack em'.

I went out friday morning but the place where we had been the water was up at least 8 foot and only had waders and so it was a very good morning, I get out of school Thursday and we looked at a new spot Friday afternoon and maybe we'll kill some then. I was also wanting to ask how the DC mallark drake call worked because I just got one as a Christmas gift. Another question I got is how do the mallard machines work because I'm looking into buying one of them?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ch i was shooting Black cloud number 4's and BBB&BB, i was shooting Kicks Fullchoke&Xtra fullchoke and also used a Briley Mod choke...all pattened well...but the Kicks was much better with Blackcloud, more dense and even...I also Shot Kents Faststeel BBB out of the Kicks...and Hevi shot number 2's....at it shot well...so i'm going for snows this weekend...and i'll be shooting Kicks full choke with BBB Kents and black cloud and we'll see what happens...i'll let you know,how i do...and just to let you all know,i've been in contact with the rep from Kicks a few times and there is no safety issues when shooting B/C out of Kicks chokes..waterfowl Tv and the duck commander did alot shooting with them...so if its good enough for them boys..we're continue to use it.....Honkers41 aka Russ

• 3 weeks later...