Light primer hits from LH SBE2

FIB

I bought a LH SBE2 earlier this year and went hunting with it yesterday. I was shooting Fiochi(sp) Golden Pheasants and noticed that the primer hits were very light compared to my 11/87. As a matter of fact one time the shell didn't even go off because the hit was so light. Has anyone else noticed this???

This might help

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14742

I have seen cases where the firing pin does not stick out of the bolt face far enough to strike the primer sufficiently because of residue on the back face of the Locking Head Assembly. See Tucker's cleaning instruction link on the above thread. To check, take the barrel off the gun, remove the bolt and push the firing pin forward as far as it will go. If it does not stick out very far this could be your problem. To fix, dissassemble the bolt and follow the instructions I (J J Mac) gave in the above link. It could be due to other problems as well but this is a place to start.

• 4 weeks later...

iv'e had problems with the cheaper kind of ammo. if you look at the primers closely in the cheaper ammo, the shell has a variacne in the primer depth. were you having intermitten shell firing? fiochi shells are not the best. hunting shells i would use a high brass remington express shell. for target sts remington are good. double A are a good choice also. with the quality of benelli guns the problem is most likely not in the gun.

I bought a LH SBE2 earlier this year and went hunting with it yesterday. I was shooting Fiochi(sp) Golden Pheasants and noticed that the primer hits were very light compared to my 11/87. As a matter of fact one time the shell didn't even go off because the hit was so light. Has anyone else noticed this???

Golden Pheasants can have very hard primers. I've seen many fail in various guns.

Make sure your bolt is closing all the way.

Buy some extra strength pipe cleaners with the plastic in them - they work pretty well to clean out the pin chamber.

I use the pin itself to clean out the hole - sometimes a good amount of crud will accumulate in there.