M2 turkey choke question

mikem771

I recently bought an M2 and now i am in the process of testing some turkey chokes.

I started with the Crio choke (Trulock) .665, and would like to try the JH .660 + Rhino.

The problem is I just bought the JH .660 choke and now I am receiving conflicting reports from suppliers on which type of choke fits the M2. Some say Optima plus while others say the SBE2 choke.

I thought I was supposed to use the optima plus but now I am not so sure...

Is the Optima plus choke the same as the SBE2???

Yes and no.

Yes, in that they will fit each gun.

No, in that they might not perform the same in the two different guns.

Benellis are underbored, Beretta Optima Plus guns are overbored.

I have Benellis that are .721-723 bore that like .660. I may even order a .657-.658 from Rhino this year and try some of the new #7 non-tox loads.

A .730-732 (or whatever OP guns are) might not like .660. I hear most OP guys shoot .670.

I would start with anyone's .660. I think you may mean Nitro ammo, as I have not seem ammo from Rhino yet.

That being said, your M2 SHOULD like the .660 JH. I'd start with lead #6's and move up to Win ER's if your guns likes #6's.

mudhen - CA

That’s interesting stuff, Thanks. Do underbored guns have a tendency to shoot tighter patterns than the overbored guns? I was wondering why one manufacturer would chose to have a certain model overbored and then have another model underbored. I assume there must be advantages to each...

I plan on trying the JH .660 tomorrow. The Trulock Crio .665 seemed to prefer HS #6 followed by Win ER #6 and lead #5. Lead #6's didn’t perform well.

Originally posted by mikem771:

That’s interesting stuff, Thanks. Do underbored guns have a tendency to shoot tighter patterns than the overbored guns? I was wondering why one manufacturer would chose to have a certain model overbored and then have another model underbored. I assume there must be advantages to each...

I plan on trying the JH .660 tomorrow. The Trulock Crio .665 seemed to prefer HS #6 followed by Win ER #6 and lead #5. Lead #6's didn’t perform well.

Well, Benelli's are underbored so the inertia system will work, so it's not a marketing ploy. Underbored guns can shoot tight with the right choke, but they can just as easily have blown patterns due to overchoking.

Browning touts it's overboring as creating more even patterns. My Brownings do pattern very well, especially when it comes to steel shot. Hard shots does not usually like to be overchoked...

mudhen - CA