Rust on my benelli

pmeyer01

Is anyone else dissapointed with rust problems on their Benelli?

I just bought a brand new Benelli Super Nova, took it completely apart and oiled it down real good. Went duck hunting the next morning, had a slight drizzle first thing in the morning, and by noon the whole barrel of my benelli was brown from rust. I couldn't believe it. I have a remington that I've used heavily since 1983 and it still looks like it just came out of the box. I'm very dissapointed with Benelli's bluing. Rust in 6 hours!!! Unbelievable... :(

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a new black sbe2 & have been completely disappointed w/ the finish. it's clearly the worst of all my guns & i care for them all meticulously. i switched from rem oil to breakfree clp, but have decided it's a very poor, low quality coating - as far as i'm concerned / from my experience. but also, i've asked around w/ those that have or know of others w/ the black matte finish - you'll find complaints. i knowi have & i've heard others w/ camo coatings brag about this fact as well. mmy own retailer where i bought the gun suggested i get the gun "re-coated/re-finished" - when he knows it's g-damn brand new. i did speak w/ cust service & they said send it in if you'd like.

i've also had some cycline issues, but think it's mainly the damn "break in" period. to me, in my opinion, the gun is highly over-rated, over-priced - NOT simply perfect.

check out these thread "VERY UNHAPPY WITH BENELLI" &"Newbie wants to buy a SBEII"

i'd also point out (as in other posts) i think it's possible they have changed manufacturing techniques, including coatings, finishes, grades of steel, etc - especially given the gun costs roughly the same over at least 4 years. I've heard others say their 6+ yr old SBE cost them about the same as today. consider the inflation we've seen in everything over this time.

Rust in 6 hours!!! Unbelievable... :(

Ya, I'd say unbelievable too. My Super Nova sat in a wet Boyt canvas gun case for 8 hours in a heated pit with an outside temp of 10 degrees - got home - pulled her out - said "Crap! I need to get a waterproof gun case". Dried her off and wiped her down. Residue but no sign of rust in or on the blued barrel.

Ya, I'd say unbelievable ... Interesting first post.

I use both of these items on my gun. I started out with the gun seal and then if Raining I then throw down some of the Gun Dri out in the field. NOT ONE ISSUE. Where I live there is a lot of salt brush so and you are plowing through it or swinging through it when shooting. These two items work wonders on gun barrels and metal components that are around bad conditions.

http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/rust_protectants.aspx

Good luck!

CR

I'm with Nolaboy1. Last week I bought a SBE II and haven't been very happy with it so far. I can't get it to pattern consistantly with Black Cloud or with Hevi-Steel and it is shooting higher than point of aim (and yes, that is with my line of sight flat on the rib). Plus compared to my gas operated Browning with a limbsaver I believe the recoil is twice as hard. And to top it off the buttpad will fall out if you hit it the least bit. In my opinion and only MY opinion this gun is way over priced and over rated. I may change my mind when I get a chance to shoot some lead.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a brand new legacy, and very first duck hunt in ARIZONA (no salt), rainy - scabbered the gun, didn't get to it to clean until following afternoon. Couldn't believe my eyes, gun has chicken pocks all the way through bluing, every square inch and 1/2, barrel and magazine. As rust penetrates bluing and goes all the way to steel - no remedy. Gun is toasted as far as appearance. Extremely disappointed - as this happened within 28 hrs. Totally unprepared for this, as never had experienced anything like before. Do you think Benelli will replace????

Who thinks hunting in the rain is abusive treatment. One reason people buy Benelli is because of it's reputation as the Duck Hunting, tough as nails, shotgun.

I haven't hunted in the rain with mine yet, as it is not a year old yet, but I will. I use CLP like crazy. I'm probably the oilingest (if thats a word) guy on here. I hope mines so saturated by then, it'll hold up to the elements.

...Do you think Benelli will replace????

When I spoke with customer service, they said if there's a problem & it's their fault, they'd re-blue it - probably taking 6-8 weeks. To me, that's BS because I didn't buy a $1,400, top of the line field grade gun to have to get it re-blued. Their bluing / coating / finishing techniques are rotten / highly ineffective in my opinion / in my experience / in my conversations with others / in my hunting area. Add that to the frequent jamming problems I'm having, and my conclusion is the gun is highly over-rated & over-priced. What a let down.

My preference is to have the gun work as designed / as I've heard people speak about their (obviously) older models - so my current plan is to send it in after huning season & have them look at it. The gun is less than 1 year old & has had about 3 cases go through her with roughly 20 jams - mainly on dove loads - but it's been a consistent 1 jam per hunt / per box most recently. I'd like $1200, but who's gonna give me that? I'm not going to be destoyed on it.

The gun's specifications indicate a minimum recommended load.

Do your dove loads meet or exceed the minimum, because most dove loads do not.

I've had a black matte SBEII for several years.

I've hunted waterfowl in rain, sleet, snow, and muck.

Never seen a spot of rust, but I do take proper care of the gun.

It's not put up wet nor dirty.

CS will be reasonable, but they're not going to fix something that occured due to neglect or abuse.

They're also not going to make a gun designed for heavy field loads cycle the light stuff.

If you expect otherwise, then you should cut your losses and sell the gun, then go get whatever you want to try next.