Rust on my benelli

pmeyer01

I bought a brand new legacy, and very first duck hunt in ARIZONA (no salt), rainy - scabbered the gun, didn't get to it to clean until following afternoon. Couldn't believe my eyes, gun has chicken pocks all the way through bluing, every square inch and 1/2, barrel and magazine. As rust penetrates bluing and goes all the way to steel - no remedy. Gun is toasted as far as appearance. Extremely disappointed - as this happened within 28 hrs. Totally unprepared for this, as never had experienced anything like before. Do you think Benelli will replace????

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever read on a website.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I spoke with customer service, they said if there's a problem & it's their fault, they'd re-blue it - probably taking 6-8 weeks. To me, that's BS because I didn't buy a $1,400, top of the line field grade gun to have to get it re-blued. Their bluing / coating / finishing techniques are rotten / highly ineffective in my opinion / in my experience / in my conversations with others / in my hunting area. Add that to the frequent jamming problems I'm having, and my conclusion is the gun is highly over-rated & over-priced. What a let down.

I was wrong.....

I'm glad I was able to get my laughs in today after reading all this. I am sorry that some of you guys are having rust problems with your guns. You say that you shouldn't have rust problems after leaving it soaken wet for 28 hours, but I don't see many people that are ignorant enough to spend that kind of $$ on a gun and let it sit like that. Benellis are like any other gun, they need to be kept up and maintained like anything. Just because they cost alot, doesn't mean that are designed to handle neglect. I get on here and read all these horrible things about jams, etc. I have a SBE, probably a a late 03' model that is max 4 camo. The camo is wearing off in places, chipping in other places, has been dropped in the bottom of a creek, been through the worst conditions possible. From freezing rain to cold crisp -10 weather. This gun has never, ever failed. It gets a good cleaning after most every time it's out in the field. I think I have had one malfunction (my fault) in about 8-10K rounds through it. Guys, it's not rocket science, take care of the gun and it will take care of you. PERIOD.

I have a SBE, probably a a late 03' model that is max 4 camo. The camo is wearing off in places, chipping in other places, has been dropped in the bottom of a creek, been through the worst conditions possible. From freezing rain to cold crisp -10 weather. This gun has never, ever failed. It gets a good cleaning after most every time it's out in the field. I think I have had one malfunction (my fault) in about 8-10K rounds through it. Guys, it's not rocket science, take care of the gun and it will take care of you. PERIOD.

That's kind of what I figured.... That's about like the other guns I own. I do hunt with them in every temperature and environment, but I clean and oil them as necessary. My SBEII performs flawlessly, I'm glad I bought it, I imagine my SBEII will be my favorite shotgun for a lot of years.

My SBEII is almost a year old, ive taken it turkey, duck, dove, and skeet shooting plenty of times, never once had a problem with it. it has never jammed that im aware of. as far as it rusting, i havent had any problems there. its been through just ab anything u can think of except negative temperatures. as said before in this thread taking it apart and cleaning it religiously after every time taken out in the field is a must i believe. it has worked wonders for me..

unrelated to the shotgun..i recently purchased a benelli 30-06 rifle in the synthetic..while deer hunting decided to rain and whatever is on the stock of the gun turned white? and it seems as if the top coat is scratching off..any ideas as to what i can put on it to help?

There shouldn't be any kind of a top coat or sealer on it.

Did you buy it used?

Sounds like someone put Armour All or something like that on it.

Confirm with Benelli CS, but I'd clean it with a mild solvent (409), and then give it a good soaking in Hoppes Elite oil.

I just went over my SBEII's synthetics with that stuff today and it makes the black come back like new!

i must have a lemon & it's going back to them shortly. after a long-time benelli enthusiast heard me griping about mine, he cleaned it & reassembled it. subsequently, it jammed after the first shot w/ kent's 3" fast steel - bolt did not fully closed on 2nd round. later that day, it jammed more w/ some 3 1/2 shells. the next day, it didnot jam, but only shot 1/2 box. overall, what a let down on a new gun.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.benelliusa.com/customer-service/warranty.tpl

"WHAT WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER" Good read for the people who have no clue on firearms care. I would not waste Benelli's time with something i screwed up and when ya learn how to clean a shotgun your cycle issues will go away, and defective shells will not cycle in Benelli's, they have been noted to not shoot crappy ammo!!:)

• 5 months later...

i have used a non detergent 30 wt motor oil inside and out of all my guns for 35 plus years.bolts, automatics, and pumps.i have never had a problem with rust even after having been out in down pour rains for 2-3 days. i have never had any wear problems either. i have a mossberg model 20 single shot 22 that was manufactured in 1934-36. its still tight, it has the original firing pin and ejector. i know because it belong to my grand dad.he was the one who told me to use motor oil. give some thought to what kind of stress your car engine is under.[rpms,s , heat,pressure] a LOT of people will argue this point, but the old timers of long ago used it in a time when your firearm was the family meal ticket. LONG before Rem-oil, True oil and all the other fancy over priced stuff was around. i have moved up with the times, im now using Quaker State 10w-30 synthetic. try it you wont believe the wear protection it provides.....HAPPY MOTORING

i m not knocking Benilli, but like 10 ga. said, it is hard to beat an 870 Remington or Mossberg 500. i have the 870/16 ga. that belong to my dad. who was an avid dove, and duck hunter. it still shoots and looks like new.aaahhhh motor oil boys. smear it on and wipe off the excess. it will blow your mind how much smoother the actions work. and i have tryed the other stuff.i didnt care for it myself. but to each his own.

I don't think it is "rocket science" to know you gotta treat a metal surface that is exposed to moisture to prevent rust. I keep my M2 lightly coated in Corrosion X and have no problems with rust. Course I pretty much do that to all my guns. Even my cheapo 870 express (which reportedly rust like crazy) doesn't rust. Simple fellas. Just wipe it down after you hunt with some type of oil or rust preventative and I don't think you will have any more problems.

I too have hunted in freezing pouring rain and yet to have rust on any of mine. I bought a DU edition Nova from WhrzTheDux and have hunted crows in the drizzling rain with it and haven't had any rust issues with it.

As far as the cycling issues go, I hunted with a guy who had a new M2, his gun would jam on every 3rd or 4th shell. He said it had been doing it since new, and was ready to return it. I asked him if I could keep it for a week and check it out, he agreed. I took it home and shot it and it jammed on me. I cleaned it thoroughly, including the action spring, which was filthy. I ran 2 boxes of my 3" 1 5/8oz Longshot coyote loads thru it, cleaned it and he has yet to have another issue with it.

I don't see many people mention putting a little grease on the locking lugs, something I have done to both rifles and shotguns for close to 20 yrs. I use Shooters Choice synthetic now, can't remember what I started with.

I don't know how well it would work up north, but here we see temps in the 30's a lot, and some 20's and a few teens. I have hunted down to 17 degrees using the Shooters Choice with no problems.

I'll try Corrosion X. I use the same oil on all of my guns & my Benelli is the worst in terms of surface rust. I clean the gun thoroughly & put on a pretty thick outter coat on the Benelli, especially right before & right after the hunt. All other guns are much cheaper, yet have more effective coatings for my hunting areas. The point to me is that instead of being a nice tool that requires low maintenance & is highly reliable, this model is actually worse than my other guns. This ineffective coating comes with a gun that has already been back to the factory to have a few parts replaced & a few adjusted - all for cycling issues (see: New SBE Disappointment - http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15345&highlight=very+disappointed). I am highly disappointed, but look forward to the coming season & we'll see how it works. More problems & I'll try to sell it & might look to the Winchester SX3. Overall, I am completely let down by this purchase. Just my two cents/my experience with the brand.

I forgot to mention it - but the fact that some people feel like they need to oil their Benelli in the field DURING a hunt is absolutely unbelievable to me. To me, that is completely ridiculous & show how ineffective the coating is. Also, maybe it's the area I hunt in, but I know several people who say their Benelli with the black matte coating gives them trouble. Thanks

Some people feel like they need to coat their Benelli in the field while hunting because the coating is that rotten/ineffective. I also forgot to re-mention that my own retailer where I bought the gun suggested I get the gun "recoated/re-finished' - when he knows it's g-damn brand new.

I use both of these items [Gun-Seal & Gun Dry] on my gun. I started out with the gun seal and then if Raining I then throw down some of the Gun Dri out in the field. NOT ONE ISSUE. Where I live there is a lot of salt brush so and you are plowing through it or swinging through it when shooting. These two items work wonders on gun barrels and metal components that are around bad conditions.

http://www.gunslick.com/products/chemicals/rust_protectants.aspx

Good luck!

CR

The most of the US citizens use to hunt. One of their hobby is hunting. They often use to hunt and decorate their homes. The US government have set the rules for not hunting the animals. There are also some committees, who fight against the hunters. The US government have created many new national parks to safeguard the animals from the hunters.

-------------------------------------

Jondifra

The most of the US citizens use to hunt. One of their hobby is hunting. They often use to hunt and decorate their homes. The US government have set the rules for not hunting the animals. There are also some committees, who fight against the hunters. The US government have created many new national parks to safeguard the animals from the hunters.

---------------------------

Mikenicken

-------------------------------------

nickel james

---------------------------------

jamesmick