3 1/2 inch OK for Super Nova?

BruceW

I've never shot 3 1/2 inch steel in my "new" Super Nova, but had someone tell me not to. Said he and another friend both damaged their Benellis (one pump, one semi-auto) with the 3 1/2 inch shells. Apparently too much bang and the gun mechanism "fell apart". Has anyone had good/bad experience with 3 1/2 inch shells???

I shoot them all the time.Do your friends have any other "malfunctions" that they warned you about?This place is where you'll find the truth.The people in here put thousands of shells through their guns.

Chad, that's good to hear. Not that I don't believe my buddy, I just don't want to damage my gun. Could have possibly been an older Benelli, don't really know. Will be anxious to hear from others. Also, just curious, I used to work for an Insurance company and did some business (and some Dove Hunting) in Wildwood with a real fine gentleman named Doug Childers....do you know him??

BruceW, here's a long one for you. Doug is "My wife's boss's cousin's husband" I don't know him real well,but he is around for all of the NWTF functions and such in the area.I hope you had a good time in our little town.In W.W. dove hunting IS business!lol

As long as you don't stuff mud and dirt down your barrel,you aren't going to damage your gun with 3.5 shells. Just make sure that the choke tubes you use say "steel o.k." on the side if you are going to use steel shot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I shot 2 boxes of 3 1/2 inch shells while duck hunting South La this past week, and sure enough, my brand new Super Nova jammed badly at one point. The "action release lever" became stuck and would not eject the shell. It totally froze up and I could not move the forearm at all. As more ducks were flying in, my only choice was to remove the barrel, which allowed me to pull out the shell, and when I did this, the release lever released. Worked fine afterwards, but I went to 3 inch shells. Anyone ever seen this happen before???

BruceW,

Last weekend I spent some time with friends shooting several hundred 2.3/4" shells (mostly slug) in a target shotgun practice event. Myself and a colleague used our SuperNovas and my friend's SN jammed once. It has happened to me twice in a period of about a year. Shells were either 1 oz. slug or 1 oz. shot, 2. 3/4".

As you observed, the breech bolt latch seems to become inoperative, thereby preventing the bolt from starting back and unlocking. Stripping the guns down for cleaning hasn't brought up any obvious evidence to identify the problem e.g. ingress of dirt, broken / twisted breech bolt latch spring or distorted breech bolt latch. A little 'jiggling' of the pump seems to sort the problem out - rather frustrating if you are shooting against the clock, or are watching the duck wave goodbye to you!

I must say though, that I was surprised that you were able to remove the barrel, whilst the bolt was locked forward. The SN rotating bolt design locks up into the barrel, rather than the receiver. Evidently, there is sufficient 'play' to slightly rotate the barrel, once you have the mag. cap removed - I've not tried this myself.

This issue does not seem to be dependent upon ammo type; maybe other members of the forum can shed some light on the matter?

Kind regards

AndyUK

I shot 2 boxes of 3 1/2 inch shells while duck hunting South La this past week, and sure enough, my brand new Super Nova jammed badly at one point. The "action release lever" became stuck and would not eject the shell. It totally froze up and I could not move the forearm at all. As more ducks were flying in, my only choice was to remove the barrel, which allowed me to pull out the shell, and when I did this, the release lever released. Worked fine afterwards, but I went to 3 inch shells. Anyone ever seen this happen before???

yeah, my nova does it with only Remington shells. Not sure why. 3 or 3.5" doesn't matter. Maybe because the brass expands too much??? Not sure. I normally shoot Kent or Federals and it's been fine....

I've been experimenting with different 3- 3 1/2 shells from slugs-turkey loads. The only thing that I didn't like about my SN was I was getting my cheek slapped around with the comfort tek stock. I took the advise of some seasoned shooters and replaced the factory gel recoil pad with a limbsaver recoil pad and now it is much more pleasant to shoot magnum shells. No more bruised cheek!

The Super Nova & SBE's were designed to shoot 3-1/2" shotshells!!! Can't speak for the Super Nova (yet) it has not been fired since it was just purchased this past weekend. However, my SBE's all shoot great with 3-1/2" shells.....I hear more issues with 2-3/4" light target loads than the big magnums.

I'd give the SupaNova a good "chamber" cleaning and make sure I have a couple of new boxes of steel shells (different brands) and hit the sporting clays course! Sometimes a dirty chamber caused by 2-3/4" or 3" shells can cause 3-1/2" guns to fail as you described....keep a chamber brush handy and clean those chambers if you shoot small them go big....its not a problem if you shoot big then go down to shorter shells (typically)!