Recoil Pad Problems SBEII

sleepydoc

Welll the first major workout for my SBEII. The gun fires well cycles all sorts of ammo right down to 7/8 oz loads but... after a long dark walk to my hunting site, got set up the birds started coming ing I raised fired and it felt like someone stabbed me in the shoulder. It's war out in Saskatchewan this week 8C so I'm wearing light clothing and after i looked at the gun to see what went wrong I saw I had no recoil pad. It had fallen off.

I've had a lot of guns but this is an absolute first, the recoil pad is basically psuhed in and relies on friction. So here's the theory .

On firing the SBEII butt stock is mre flexible due to the chevrons and appears to actually open up a bit loosening the grip on the recoil pad allowing to become unseated hence loose. The answer after I hope to get a replacement pad ( I will use my 11-87 for the rest of the hunt) is to either put in a screw in the side of the stock which voids the warranty or use a large swatch of duct tape to ensure the pad stays in. ( great advertising for Benelli when I have to explain that! to my fellow shooters!) :confused:

Benelli.. What on earth has happened to your quality control?

WOW! i've put my SBEII through the ringer and have not had the recoil pad fall off. I don't know what to tell you except that it must not of been a perfect fit. Did you clean the gun the night before and not put it on all the way? I would call customer service and see what they can do. Its worth the phone call. I would not put a screw in the stock you might regret voiding the warrenty in the future.

Good luck

RG

never heard of that. no problems with mine, its actually kinda tough to get mine off. My nova is **** near impossible to get off.

So you never found it? Were you in water? Had you ever taken it off before? I'll mess with mine when I get home but you got me curious.

Man I've had mine out in almost 100 degree weather this summer patterning it and no problems with the pad getting loose. Lets hope you had a defective pad.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Actually I had been walking into a marsh, quite a long walk in fact through very dense willow, thicket etc. I had never taken it off before and had only done a routine clean ing of the action and tube before this hunt. It fires exceptionally well and I have no issues with that. It just seems that this gun may have been rushed into production with the saftey problems and minor issues with fit and finish. If the gun was a low to moderate end gun I would be more understanding but this is a $1300 USD firearm and I really expect better. I have never had a recoil pad fall off a gun. Let me assure you that without the pad the recoil from a 3 1/2 Kent Fasteel is quite an eyeopening experience. The edge of the stock are thin and I have a substantial bruise to remind me off it. I guess one must always have a quick look to make sure all is well before you fire a gun but I was focused on a flock of snows about to set down in front of me. I did get all three shots off and had thought some had gotten caught in my jacket untill I looked at the stock. Needless to say I seached for the missing pad but it was a long walk throught the marsh and I could not find it.

When I replace it, I likely will put some camo duct tape on as an extra precaution.

sleepydoc,

As BenelliGirl recommended, contact Benelli Customer Service and discuss the possibly of returning the gun for repair.

If you feel the gunstock is not within proper tolerances to allow any Gel Pad to stay firmly in the stock, Benelli can address the issue if they have the gun.

Just a thought for you to consider if the second Gel Pad fits too loose.

Regards threeshot

All good points, I have called Benelli and no doubt it shall be resolved. The gun worked well otherwise and it has gamewise been the best hunt ever. I finally got into stride with my SBE ( with a cheapo recoil pad for now) and was ahving one of my best days ever with upland game and waterfowl.

Originally posted by sleepydoc:

All good points, I have called Benelli and no doubt it shall be resolved. The gun worked well otherwise and it has gamewise been the best hunt ever. I finally got into stride with my SBE ( with a cheapo recoil pad for now) and was ahving one of my best days ever with upland game and waterfowl.

I have a M2, left hand model. Out of the box the "comfort tech" hurt using only target loads. I hate to think what my shoulder would fee like after a half box of magnums! I put a mercury reducer from Brownells' on it, it helps. I also took off the original pad and placed a slip on "HI VIZ" pad, that brought the recoil down to a manageable level. I still don't know if this is the one to take on a "hot barrell" dove shoot of 800-1000 rounds per day, only time will tell.

Mechanically it is a great gun; recoil wise, it still has a real problem. I think it would benefit Benelli to do a little more field testing of their new products under true hot barrell conditions, and put a little less money in their propaganda.

I was recently in South Dakota and had the same thing happen to me. I was in the marsh and had fired my SBE II about 5-10 times. The next time I went to fire I noticed the recoil pad was missing. My search for the pad in the marsh was unsuccessful, which made the remaining 3 days of hunting a little more difficult (Even with a makeshift recoil pad my shoulder was plenty sore). I was hunting with my brother who also has a SBE II and was amazed how easy the recoil pad comes off on his gun as well. I will surely be adding a recoil pad to my extra parts for future hunting trips.

Mitch

So I'm not alone, What do you think of the theory of the stock opening up a bit on each shot? The stock is quite thin compared to some synthetic stocks I have seen. I with be using the camo duct tape as soon as benelli sends me a new pad. By the way I still have no pad 9 days after calling customer service.