what gun would you choose

Lindey83

No knocks on the SBEII, but for the money difference the SX2 and SX3 are damm nice guns. Gas guns we know so the differences begin there.

I am doing a side by side comparison with an SX2 and a Beretta extrema, by this summer one of them is on the auction block - so far I like both but for what I spent on the Beretta could have bought two SX2 or even the SX3 with a dozen deeks a couple calls and a partridge in a pear tree.

Go look at them all and lay them down side by side, shoot them if you can. Then decide.

I think as long as your not considering the Stoegers then your headed in the right direction.

lol tmac thanks for the reply i have a stoeger condor and i have to say i have not had any problems with it (this means i am a lucky guy cause those are like rolling the dice. couldnt turn down 400 bucks for the o/u supreme i will be taking into the woods). i have an remington 1100 right now and i was looking at the sx3 magnum seems a little more reasonable for my college price range than the sbe2. if i get the sx3 or sbe2 i will eventually get the other but not untill i am done with school.

thnaks

Lindey

Owned a SX2 for a couple years, it was a good gun. Only had one issue, the bolt handle broke off. Own both SBE II and M2 in LH, it would take a major technology / upgrade change to make me interested in trading or selling my Benellis.

Shoot what you like, that fits you and can afford.

• 2 weeks later...

3 Jan. 08

I own 2 Winchester X2s and an I-12. The current I-12 seems quite reliable and if it is totally immersed in water, it would be easier to strip, dry and clean. However unless the gun goes for a swim, the X2/X3 is also easy to clean. The advantage of the I-12 is that there is no spring loaded piston in the butt to push the bolt into battery. If it gets wet, there is no need to try and remove that piston, drain and lube it. I believe the Benelli guns have the piston and wouldn't have that particular advantage.

One other factor is recoil. Say what you will, ID guns kick more then gas operated guns. There is a distinct difference in the recoil of my X2 Composite and my Franchi I-12 when shooting the same heavy duck loads.

If recoil doesn't bother you, then it matters not. If it does and you'd like to get back on target a little quicker, you might think about the gas guns.

DumbDuck

I had a Browning Gold 3.5" for four years. It was reliable enough and all, but I always wanted a Benelli. This year I bought the SBEII. I like the handling better and it patterns better.

I think I have a quicker follow up due to the balance and it seems to have more of a straight back kick. It's certainly not due to the recoil. The only advantage that the Browning had over the Benelli is less recoil.

I only talked about the Browning because it is basically the same gun as the Winchester SX2.

Like its already been said. If you're concerned with recoil, go with the SX2. On all other counts, SBEII is the winner.

Of course SBEII comes with the price tag. Hey, I just thought of a new slogan... Benelli SBEII, the light gun with the heavy price tag... lol.

I bought mine earlier in the year when they were $1349 here. Now that duck season is here they have gone up to $1399. So at least I saved that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been using a Winchester SX2 for three years as my duck gun. Love the feel and the ease of upkeep for a gas operarted gun. Would say for flexibilty though the SB's have the upper hand based on my friends that use them for birds, skeet, ducks. The SX2 doesn't handle the switch from 3 1/2 to the light loads as well. I have a different gun for the bird and skeet. The weight would also be an issue.

I recently purchased the M-2 left hand over the SBE II. I use the gun more for doves and targets, so therefore the 3-1/2 capability is lost on me. If I do go after ducks/geese, then the 3" loads of Hevi-shot or other similiar loads will do the job out to any range I can hit anything. And I don't have the added expense and/or weight of a gun capable of doing something I can't!

If you think you need the extra capability of the SBE, or you like the way it handles better, then by all means get it. After all, perception is reality. If you think you like the SBE better, then you will most likely shoot it better.

lindy,

don't get hung up on this "o-ring" nonsense......I shoot ALL kinds of auto's from Browning A5's to Benelli SBE's and if the Winchester X guns are truely built like the Browning Golds there isn't an issue with the gas systems on these shotguns. Nor would I call them "o-rings", the Golds are steel or some type of alloy similar to the old A5's......when someone says "o-ring" I think of an elastomer, maybe that's my engineering background showing through?!?!

if you plan to shoot 2-3/4" nearly as much as 3" I'd go with the M2 and never look back......if you plan to shoot 3-1/2" (alot or nearly always) get the SBE2. My goto gun for geese is a Browning 10 gauge it will outperform ANY 3-1/2" 12 gauge on the planet but few guys are willing to buy a "specialty" gun like the "mighty 10" because it is more expensive to shoot. If you reload a 10 is by far the best waterfowl gun I've ever taken to the blind. For turkey's I seldom shoot more than 3" in my 12's because 3" shells tend to pattern better than 3-1/2" shells in my guns.....sometimes I turkey hunt with the 10 but she's a beast to carry (11+lbs) if I'm "runnin & gunnin" a lighter gun is a dream.......i like my TC Encore for turks!!!

"tuck" this "o-ring" part is not in the "Gas System".....you left out the important items in your drawing that are directly behing item #65......these are the "Gas System" parts! Item #54 is mounted inside the forend........just like my Benelli SBS & M1's have "o-rings" in their forends?!?!

Amazing....

No offense friend but you should stick to computers......maybe you know something about those!?!?!