chokes

jdr709

• 3 weeks later...

jdr,

not a thing wrong with those factory chokes!

1.) install the full choke and go buy 3 boxes of #4 copper plated lead turkey loads (Federal, Winchester & whatever), get a few turkey targets, go out and shoot them at 25 yards!

2.) if you don't have a slate and box call buy one of each and practice calling by listening to tapes.

3.) scout before turkey season begins....everyday if you can!

4.) call a gobbler in, at less than 25 yards, kill him dead with a std full choke tube & lead shot!

Works everytime (well almost everytime)!!!

there is lots of talk about 40 yard and beyond patterning or people suggesting that they have a turkey gun set up that is going to kill turkeys at 40, 50 and even 60 yards....not just on this site but on many others. Many years ago, before some of todays "experts" were even born Winchester studied lead shot sizes in great detail and their tests showed that No. 6's ran out of energy at 32 yards. No. 5's, being bigger, carried farther, and were good to around 40 yards. The larger No. 4's had enough foot pounds to penetrate effectively at 55 yards. "Heavier than lead" shot does have slightly more energy but not significantly more....it is penetration that kills turkeys at extreme distance NOT patterns....if you want to test this shoot some phone books at 40+ yards after your patterning sessions.

i would never recommend to a novice he needs a gun that can shoot 40 or 50 or 60 yards, as I suggested in my previous post go practice at 25 yards and until you are comfortable making longer shots keep your distances under 30 yards in the field! i'm not suggesting it is impossible to kill birds at distances over 40 yards, just saying it isn't practical for most newbies to the sport and if you have killed less than 10 mature gobblers in this sport your a novice....just my opinion!

1 post a month ago and we're still trying to give him advice :confused:

jdr has left the building.

http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/member.php?u=16797

Let's try to pay a little more attention and not drudge up so many of these old posts.

I almost always view the forums by looking at just the most recent posts.

When this old stuff gets pushed back up to the top, the newer and more relevant posts get shoved way down the list.

While I can appreciate the enthusiasm of some of you newer guys, and your eagerness to reply each and every post here, it would be helpful to stay with the fresh and current topics and let the old stuff, particularly the obvious one-posters, die off.

"tuck" you really should change your name to the benelli forum nazi........WTF!!!

maybe the rest of us want to catch up to those 4000+ posts you have!!!!

relax and loosen up a little.........

BTW-maybe JD is out hunting and has not had a chance to check in yet???

"tuck" you really should change your name to the benelli forum nazi........WTF!!!

maybe the rest of us want to catch up to those 4000+ posts you have!!!!

relax and loosen up a little.........

BTW-maybe JD is out hunting and has not had a chance to check in yet???

Tuck does come across a little harsh sometimes.... lol