New Supernova or old SBE

tdaniel377

I have been looking at buying a new Supernova to turkey hunt with,but have no experience with the Steadygrip or the ComforTech stocks.This gun would be a dedicated turkey gun!

I have been using an older SBE,a blue/wood model and hate to beat it up in the woods turkey hunting.I do use the beartooth camo cover for some protection from dings!I also have to take the sights off of the SBE in the fall,since it is my spare gun,(dont want to carry the tools to remove the sights)when I go to SD hunting pheasants.

I really would like to have a dedicated turkey gun but wonder if the Supernova is gonna perform like my SBE with the jellyhead tube,and would like to hear your opinions on the Steadygrip and the ComforTech stocks!

I just purchased a SuperNova but by far not an expert. A few of my friends have the steady grip and like it. Mine has the comfort tech stock and after shooting a whole box of 3 1/2" 2 load #6, I noticed the stock bulging a tad next to the last chevron. I checked it after I came home, it seemed to be ok. The steady grip to me feels better shooting those same loads and made the gun easier to get back on aim faster. I may be purchasing it myself. Hope this helps.

I have a Comfortech SupNova,and a Steadygrip M1,and constantly have to decide which one to use.On the Comfortech gun, 3in. loads feel like heavy target loads,and 3.5 in shells feel like 3.5in shells.The recoil pad that comes with the Comfortech SupNova is NOT the same as the one on the M2 and SbeII,it is harder.I recently added one of the True Comfortech pads,and am really happy with it. The SteadyGrip is a pure dream to hunt with,as it helps me "get up in" the gun in crunch time,when I'm smashed up in some junky set-up and a gobbler is trying to see what time it is.Turkeys operate on a different clock than you and me,and you just might find that having your wrist in a natural position makes the minutes turn into seconds.Go to your local dealer and sit on the floor with each and see which one is more comfortable.If they really want your hard earned cash,this won't be a problem.

I do use the beartooth camo cover for some protection from dings!

How do you like the Beartooth camo cover? I just ordered it Friday. I hated that they didn't have Realtree AP, but I wanted it anyway. It wasn't too expensive and if I like it and they come out with Realtree APG, I'll probably get a second.

I like my SBEII, I like Automatics... But a pump would do a nice job for a Turkey gun, since you usually only have to shoot once. And some of you guys can shoot a pump wicked fast anyway.

I like the beartooth camo in some ways and in others I dont!It does a pretty good job of protecting your gun from dings but it has a semi slick finish on it,I suppose thats because of the camo material they adhere to the neoprene liner.It is pretty tough to get into position but doesnt slide when you get it there.The part I didnt like was having to cut part of the barrel cover for the sights.If you are using an optic and mount this wouldnt be a problem.I also wish they had a cover for the receiver,this is the part that really needs the camo anyway.All in all,I prefer the beartooth over the other covers and would recommend it if you didnt want or already have a camo gun!I have used tape and the socks also,the beartooth is better in my opinion!Hope it helps!

• 3 weeks later...

td,

I've been shooting an SBE or M1 on Turkey's for years.....both guns pattern about the same with the same choke and ammo! Recently I purchased a Super Nova for my son and hope to try those same chokes and ammo in this gun as soon as we get some decent weather here in Ohio....its darn cold right now!

As far as the SteadyGrip is concerned I'm in the same boat.....don't have one (yet) but I have several other guns with thumbhole stocks that are great for turkey hunting (or deer slug hunting). With any luck I should have a SG stock in a few days to try out....i'll keep you posted.

If I were in your shoes I'd send that SBE off for a little camo treatment or keep using the cover....but if you want to do something for the economy go buy a new gun!

Thank you for the reply 10gauge,I just bought a Supernova also,got tired of thinking about it and just did it,lol.I was at the local BassPro and they had a Supernova w/steadygrip in the RealtreeAPG and it decided to follow me home.I will let you know how mine does also.I havent had a chance to shoot it yet,the weather hasnt been so good here either.Have you ever used any kind of optic to turkey hunt with?

td,

I'm not a big fan of optical sights on turkey guns.....there is another post here that I gave details so I won't bore everyone with repeating it! Fiber Optic front & rear is the way to go in my book.....I've use fiber optic rifle sites and long stick type front sites alone on some of my guns that pattern dead on....I have a Browning Gold that had to have rifle sites installed to get the POA and POI to come together!

My Super Nova (or my son's) is a Comfort Tech Max4 camo, w/26" tube and I picked it up used for $400....actually I traded an old worn out Browning A5 for it and several folks told me the Browning wasn't worth $300?!?! I felt it was worth $400 and apparently the new owner thought so too?!?!? Hopefully, we are both happy with the trade....I know I am!