Load(s) for bear?

Teufel-hunden

just a thought, but I would load my m4 with alternating rounds. 1buck then 1 slug. And I would use the 3" magnums. The first shot would be buck. I may be wrong, but I think 000 buck has 8 pellets that are slightly bigger than 00 9 pellets.

But then, what would I know. The biggest and meanest things around me are coyotes and wild mustangs. ( AZ )

If your that close to an Alaskan Brown bear or a Griz to use a shotgun, you're aleady dead. But like the old timers say " At least I got the bear, that got me." Get a Marlin lever action carbine in .45-70 like the Alaskian guides carry. If you must have the M4, get sabbots shooting a solid metal slugs. Should be pretty accurate.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

From SgtCathy "If your that close to an Alaskan Brown bear or a Griz to use a shotgun, you're aleady dead."

Good point- but I am going to be with a team of scientists and engineers. If (and I hope we are not) charged by a brown bear there will be ample wailing/panic/commotion to distract the bruin from me. My biggest problem will be making sure that I have a clear line of fire. Hmmmm...... I wonder if I can train a bunch of highly educated city dweller types to instantly drop to the prone position when someone yells BEAR!

I live in polar bear country and carry slugs only. I don't believe in loading rubber shot or even buckshot cause the bears move so fast you'll never get a second shot. You need maximum damage the first time. You have to see one of these things run to believe how fast they are. You'll see one on the horizon or on top of a nearby hill and you've got just a few seconds to get the gun out and take aim. I don't know what the big grizzleys are like in Alaska but I'd bet they have comparable speed. Don't screw around. Your life is too important. If you're in any sort of cover bring the shotgun, otherwise I'd use a rifle with iron sights. A scope is fine in the summer, but extreme cold and snow in the winter does strange things to my optics. Plus I like a wide field of view in case there's anything else moving up on my flanks.

P.S. - Are you allowed to carry a pistol? In my experience bears seem to be more afraid of the sound of a pistol than a shotgun. The crack of a handgun really gets their attention whereas they ignore the thump of a shotgun. Strange, I can't figure it out.

Thanks guys for the advice-

I wil let you know my exact set up when I am finished researching all options. But as of now I am leaning towards 3" Brenneke black magic slugs outa my M4 set up with tritium sights, tactical sling, and surefire M600a weapons light. I will probably play around with one of the new pulsating green laser sights also.

Semper Fi

If your that close to an Alaskan Brown bear or a Griz to use a shotgun, you're aleady dead. But like the old timers say " At least I got the bear, that got me." Get a Marlin lever action carbine in .45-70 like the Alaskian guides carry. If you must have the M4, get sabbots shooting a solid metal slugs. Should be pretty accurate.

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

Sorry but your are wrong. At close range 0-25 yards nothing beats a 12 gauge with Breneke slugs at stopping a brown bear that is charging. A Lever gun in 45-70 comes close but I still would prefer the shotgun with Breneke slugs. We have put a fair number of bear down with them here.

Pat