Which better for SBE2 - Patternmaster or Kicks?

HonkWilliams

I want to purchase either a Patternmaster or Kicks extended choke tube for my SBE2 but don't know which is best. Patternmaster is much more expensive but is it really any better? Has anyone actually done a comparative test between different extended chokes with that particular gun? I do mostly goose hunting using steel BB, ducks with #2 steel, some pheasant, also turkey once a year.

Also can you shoot STEEL BB or #2 through a full or x-tra full extended choke tube? Thanks!

I have used a SBE with a patternmaster for 6 or 7 years and would recommend the setup for both ducks and geese. I use the choke in all shooting situations and occasionally adjust shot type when necessary. I find BB's are good for both ducks and geese. I never used a kicks so I can't compare. However a few of my hunting buddies say the patternmaster is the only way to go.

Check out the Patternmaster website. Patternmaster makes several different chokes based on wad retention technology to get improved patterns for different uses. Don't expect to buy one Patternmaster and expect it to be a perfect choke for all your shooting just like you wouldn't expect one constriction type choke to fill all your needs. I have seen quite a few people say that a Patternmaster is too tight but they undoubtedly are using the long range Patternmaster for close shots too and for most shooters it might be too tight for birds when they are decoying in close just like an IM or Full choke would be too tight.

Patternmaster makes Short Range, Mid Range, Long Range, and Extended Range chokes for different types of hunting. I have all of them except for the Extended Range tube which is for Long Range shooting with 3 1/2 inch shells but will work fine for shorter shells too. I use mine for most of the hunting I do with lead (upland), steel, and HeviShot. I had them turned down by the factory so I can use them in my Beretta O/U in addition to my SBE (not SBE II). The SBE II takes a different choke. They have worked out great for pheasants with # 5 lead shot in addition to the waterfowl hunting with nontoxic shot, mostly steel.

I have been very happy with my Patternmaster chokes and recommend them. Just don't think that one choke will do everything for you. The Patternmaster people say you get tighter patterns with bigger pellets. I like the non ported chokes.

Thanks for all of your replies. But here are a couple more specific questions: 1) What is the difference between the actual design of the Kicks and PM? Aren't they basically the same? 2) Why is PM so much more expensive than all the other brands?

At any rate, I am thinking of buying 2 chokes: A Mod for most waterfowl hunting situations and also upland game and a Full for both skybusting geese and turkey season as well to avoid having to buy a third choke. What do you think?

I failed to add this to my reply:

I use the patternmaster for turkey loads and w/ 6's for pheasants. The choke handles about anything, I put some T's through it without any problem.

sg375 - So you use the same exact choke for waterfowl, turkey and pheasant???? Or you have an assortment of Patternmasters?

I have been shooting a Kicks in my SBE for a few years now, tried the PatternMaster thanks to a buddy and personally didn't see a significant improvement.....not enough to switch!

The PatternMaster uses a "rib" or "straight rifling" to grab the wad and slow it down and this improves patterns.....much like the Federal Flight Control wad slows down and improves patterns....the Kick's does NOT have "ribs" they claim the porting and the sharp edge grabs the wad....same principle different design!

Personally, I liked them both but like I said the PM didn't impress me that much over the Kick's.....patterning is an art and when someone says 100% in a 20" circle @ 40 yards I say, "impressive, but how many holes did this pattern have?" Shooting geese is one thing but shooting clays or doves is another and I like to see patterns that a dove or clay pigeon can't fly thru....the Kick's does this while the PM had larger "holes" in my testing! Both put 98-100% in the 20" target but I liked the kicks with the ammo I was testing.....maybe an ammo change and the PM would have been superior???

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a M2 this fall, 12 ga. and was impressed with the factory chokes;tighter than I expected given similar waterfowl loads I shot with my old 870 Special Purpose 12ga. This past season,had mixed results shooting mostly Federal Ultra Shock #4 and #2 1 1/4 oz 3 " mag over decoys (25 - 35 yds) with IC factory Choke. I patterned a lot of shell/shot combos (Winchester DryLok, Remington nitro steel, didn't pattern Federals) with 74% -66% patterns at 35 yds in a 30"circle with IC factory choke. Some did have some holes in the paterns. I was a little disapponted that using Federals mostly, I had several birds not "graveyard dead" within the 25 - 35 yard range.

Thus,I'm looking at aftermarket chokes and Briley Extended non-ported have been recommended by several serious shooters that waterfowl hunt. Has anyone tried these? Are they inferior to the PatternMaster?

What are the Shell/shot combo that the PatternMaster guys are mostly shooting (over decoys versus longer pass shooting)? Thanks in advance

Kevin

10gauge, what type of ammo were you using with your kick's chokes and which chokes did you use? I am also trying to decide which one I should purchase. Thanks

Hunter82, sorry about my slow reply......in my benelli's (12ga) i'm using either the Kicks High Flyer Modified or Full depending on my hunting conditions and Federal HighDensity Waterfowl loads. Here are my loads & conditions;

Decoy Shooting = (closer ranges 20-30yds)

Loads = Federal PHD197 3" #4

Choke = Modified

Pass Shooting = (longer distance 30-40yds)

Loads = Federal PHD197 3" #2

Choke = Full

If I'm field hunting Geese (or dux on big water) that are a bit decoy shy and shots are going to be long (40 yds or more) I reach for the Browning Gold 10ga. If I shoot factory loads I have found the Federal PH195's in BB get the job done from a Kick's XF 10ga choke. However, I typically load my own shells for the mighty 10 and seldom purchase factory ammo these days. Since it is getting difficult to find bismuth in bulk I might have to go back to reloading steel...:(

Just FYI, I have used Patternmasters since they first came out. If you shoot your Ducks and Geese at 40+ yards,I would go with the Patternmaster. I shoot Ducks inside 45 yards. For the past few years, Iv'e been using an I.C. Comp-NChoke. I make clean kills with steel shot. Very even patterns. I use the Patternmaster for very windy days or when the birds don't come inside 35 yds. I quit using the Patternmaster inside 35 yards due to the tight pattern tearing up the birds. 90% of the time. I use the Comp-N Choke . My hunting buddies all use the Comp-N choke. We shoot several hundred birds a year using Comp-n Chokes. I won't give up my Patternmaster. Remember, if you use 3 1/2" shells, to get the extended one made for those shells. You won't get good patterns with the standard one.

I really like the Primos Dead zone chokes. I have both the Decoy and the pass shooting choke. I use the decoy choke for ducks and pheasants. 3.5 inch 2's worked great for ducks. I had great success for pheasants shooting 3 inch 3's and 4's with the decoy choke when I had to shoot steel.

The verdict is still out for the pass shooting choke. I had some success using it later in the season on longer shots but really didn't use it a whole lot. Most days the decoy choke did the job.