Benelli Comparison

cshire

Well the 2007 waterfowl season is in the bag for my son and I now. At 13 he is now a real hunter who can help with the planning and work of a hunt as well as last all day when that’s what it takes. He is no longer just a tag along, or fair weather hunter.

He is also now almost taller than me and ready for a real 12 gauge to replace the Rem 870 youth 20 guage he learned to shoot on.

I shoot a Beretta ES-100 pintail which is a discontinued Beretta version of the Benelli inertia action. I’ve been very satisfied with it’s low maintenance and reliability. My initial thoughts were to get a Stoeger M2000 for my son based on it’s similar inertia design and being a part of the Benelli/Beretta family. Reports of problems here and elsewhere are making me wonder if that is the right way to go.

What I’d like to have is a good comparison between the various Benelli models (M2, SBE, Cordoba, etc.) the Franchi I12, and the Stoeger M2000. My understanding is that in the broadest terms they are similar in that they are all based on the Benelli inertia action.

What I’d like to know are what are the subtle differences in design, manufacture, quality control between these models that I should consider when making a decision.

For example are the M2 and the SBE identical guns except for 3” vs 3-12” capabilities?

Is the Stoeger M2000 so cheaply manufactured as to compromise the inherent reliability of the inertia system? Is it the equivalent of a Rem 870 express (cheaply made, prone to rust) vs. a real Wingmaster?

Any input would be appreciated.

Lots of opinions out there. I had terrible luck with the M2000, would never hunt with one again even after a free of charge replacment gun was sent to me I promptly sold it. Franchi I-12 is very similar to the M2000 so personally I would not even look at one.

If the other Benelli models you mention are in your budget then have your son handle each one of them to see which fits him better.

Honestly, your request is far too complicated to be answered in a single reply.

I would suggest using the search function to look for past discussions on the guns you are asking about.

Also, you may want to order a Benelli catalog and/or DVD, as they provide a great deal of information on the various models.

I wouldn't accept a free M2000. I might use an I-12 as a boat oar though.

+1 on what mudhen wrote.

However, here are my answers to your specific questions.

1. No, there are more differences. They have been discussed here a number of times. Use the search feature and look for keywords sbeII differences.

2. Yes, it's a crapshoot on whether you get one that works or not.

2a. No, it's much worse than a 870 express.

I highly suggest the Beretta AL390 from Wal Mart. It is a "gas operated", black synthetic 2 3/4" & 3" shotgun. I have one & am extremely pleased with it. It comes with shims/spacers so your son can make the gun fit him & only costs a few dollars more than the 2000 and is a heck of a lot better gun. It is easy to take apart & clean. The only draw back is it comes with a plastic butt plate. I took it off & put a Precision Fit Limbsaver pad on it & it feels like I'm shooting a BB gun. I paid $525 for my AL390.

If you want The Best, buy a Benelli.

If you want The Ultimate, buy a Benelli and then send it to this gentleman " www . theosshotguncorner . com " to do his magic.

(while the gun is there ,don't forget to ask to put the benelli trigger to work on ball bearings!!!-don't ask me how he does it-THE MAN IS A MAGICIAN!)

Needless to say that this Benelli will be with you for the rest of your life,or at least until benelli, some day, compete and built a better one...(some day .....maybe...)

Well the 2007 waterfowl season is in the bag for my son and I now. At 13 he is now a real hunter who can help with the planning and work of a hunt as well as last all day when that’s what it takes. He is no longer just a tag along, or fair weather hunter.

He is also now almost taller than me and ready for a real 12 gauge to replace the Rem 870 youth 20 guage he learned to shoot on.

I shoot a Beretta ES-100 pintail which is a discontinued Beretta version of the Benelli inertia action. I’ve been very satisfied with it’s low maintenance and reliability. My initial thoughts were to get a Stoeger M2000 for my son based on it’s similar inertia design and being a part of the Benelli/Beretta family. Reports of problems here and elsewhere are making me wonder if that is the right way to go.

What I’d like to have is a good comparison between the various Benelli models (M2, SBE, Cordoba, etc.) the Franchi I12, and the Stoeger M2000. My understanding is that in the broadest terms they are similar in that they are all based on the Benelli inertia action.

What I’d like to know are what are the subtle differences in design, manufacture, quality control between these models that I should consider when making a decision.

For example are the M2 and the SBE identical guns except for 3” vs 3-12” capabilities?

Is the Stoeger M2000 so cheaply manufactured as to compromise the inherent reliability of the inertia system? Is it the equivalent of a Rem 870 express (cheaply made, prone to rust) vs. a real Wingmaster?

Any input would be appreciated.

I'm a big fan of the M2 and a bigger fan of the old M1's, which had a shell magazine retainer that allows you to manually remove shells from the magazine without cycling them through the chamber- like an old Ithaca #37, one of the best designs ever for fast loading and unloading. The M1 was right there with it. But the M2's handle so darn nice it makes up for that one deficiency, and they are simple, smooth shooting work horses that just can't be beat for reliability.

The SBEII's I can't speak about with the same authority. I am leery of the real need for 3.5" shells for anything now that the 3" loads are so hard hitting, but if you want to shoot them, have at it. I will say have seen two friend's SBEII's repeatedly stove pipe (partially eject the shell and then it gets stuck in the ejection port) and yes, they know how to keep their guns cleaned, maintained and properly set up for cold weather. I think the inertia recoil has to be set up too stiff to handle the 3.5 shells and then it stove pipes on regular high vel or lower vel loads. All of this should get me in trouble with you SBEII guys-- sorry in advance, I just know what I see and experience!

"What I’d like to have is a good comparison between the various Benelli models (M2, SBE, Cordoba, etc.) the Franchi I12, and the Stoeger M2000. My understanding is that in the broadest terms they are similar in that they are all based on the Benelli inertia action."

I went through the same process back in Nov. I chose the Benelli Cordoba, with a 30" barrel. Why? In my opinion a 3.5" magnum is not necessary for any North American bird, or any other bird for that matter. I've killed geese plenty well with a 2 3/4" high base shell. When you factor that with the SBE II's difficulty in cycling 1 oz. light target loads that easily ruled out that choice. The M2 is a field gun that has an identical design to the SBE II with the notable exception that it doesn't come in 3.5". The Super Sport is designed for Sporting Clays and shares the exact same design as the Cordoba with elongated forend, raised top rib and ported barrel. The only difference is the carbon fiber magazine and wood option. The Super Sport is not really a hunting option, primarily because of the finish... too shiny.

The Stoeger is similar in design to the previously mentioned Benelli's, but is clearly the K-Mart version. Quality and overall features are not the same in my opinion. I was just on a duck hunt over the weekend and one of the hunters had a series of problems with his Stoeger. I wouldn't recommend going down that path.

"For example are the M2 and the SBE identical guns except for 3” vs 3-12” capabilities?"

Yes see above.

"Is the Stoeger M2000 so cheaply manufactured as to compromise the inherent reliability of the inertia system? Is it the equivalent of a Rem 870 express (cheaply made, prone to rust) vs. a real Wingmaster?"

I've shot almost every semi auto on the market including Beretta's Extrema II, Remington's new CTI & 1100, Beretta 391 models, Winchester's, Browning A-5 etc. After hunting with the Cordoba and tearing up clays I'm absolutely sold on the Cordoba. To me it's the most enjoyable, accurate and reliable gun I've ever shot. I like it so much I'm going to buy one in 20 gauge!

i'd look for a used SBE or M1 and never look back!

purchased a M1 Super 90 in 20 gauge a few years ago for $450 in HD Timber camo and both my son & daughter took their first turkey & deer respectfully with that gun....I love to use it on dove hunts! Best money ever spent on a multipurpose shotgun!

• 2 weeks later...

You are a winner no matter what ya get him cause ya spend quality time with him and if i was him i would be happy as a DOGG, so much for the rest of it but put a NOVA in my hands and i would be GTG at 13!! 20 or 12, just fess up the $$$ for the correct shot!! plus you have not broke the bank. if bank is not broke get him a SBEII and get it over with!:D

I Was At The Range Shooting Skeet , When All Of A Sudden ,we Heard A Lot Of Shots Going Off Together At The Next Field.

It Drew Our Attention Because No One Is Allowed To Shoot More Than 2 Shells At A Time

It Was Mr. Theo Testing A New Barrel That He Had Just Made,and The Owner Of The Range Was Pulling For Him ,as Fast As The Machines Could Cycle.

We Watched... (almost Everyone Stopped Shooting And Came By), We Could Not Believe No Target Was Passing Without Breaking!!!

To Make A Long Story Short,i Asked If I Could Try Some Targets With His Sbe(the Barrel Was Marked ~skeet~).....he Took It Off His Benelli And Put It Right In My Sbe.

I Did A 50 Straight!!!!!!!!!!!!

Needless To Say That I Did Not Want To (nor Was I Going To) Take This Barrel Off My Sbe And Give It Back.....so I Wrote A Check, Right There-right On The Spot- Without Hesitation ,for $1000

it Is Also Woodcock's Worst Nightmare!!!!!!!

Hope That Helps