Self Defense?

Mrserenity

I have a single shot shotgun with an 18 1/2 inch barrel with a short (youth) stock that I use for home defense. Is that adequate for home defense? I was thinking about getting a coach shotgun and checking to see if they could install a youth stock. Thanks for your comments.

Plenty good.

Up until about the time I was 22 or so, I used a Winchester 1200 youth, 20ga, 20in bbl, and a short stock. Granted, it wasnt some wizz bang uber-tactical setup, but a chestfull of 00 buck from a 3in 20ga shell is still going to make you have a bad day.

I ended up giving the gun back to my father (he gave it to me when I was 8) and to this day he still uses it for HD.

Its the one on top. These days I keep one of my 1300s near my bed. I keep my Benellis locked up.

Id hate to shoot someone with a $1500 shotgun and the courts find a reason to keep it for evidence. I can stand to loose one of the $280 WInchesters.

HDSK.JPG

There was an episode on Self Defense TV that dealt with "use what ya got" The instructor had an ancient single shot 20ga with a five shot holder around the stock. He would fire, pop out the old shell and insert the new one very fast. I'm sure with practice you could reload in the time it took the bad guy to come up from his flinch/duck position if you missed and had to take another shot In a self defense situation, if you need to fire 9 shots in 2 seconds to survive, you probably are in a load of trouble anyway.

There's excellent advice in here from all of you. Me, I'd want to have more than one or even two shots available... you can't know how you are going to respond under stress and that can hamper your ability to perform. I like the idea of a multiple round short barreled shotgun- everyone here knows just how easy it can be for a pistol to miss even at very short range, and you will be under stress.

If you have kids or other family in adjacent bedrooms, or live in an duplex or apartment building, you might want to re-think the 000, as effective as it is. It passes through walls mighty easy. If you need to defend yourself or family inside your dwelling, heavy bird shot will do the trick and minimize risk of innocents getting harmed. One more thought... if a perp hears the sound of a 12 gauge shell being jacked into a chamber, you probably won't have to do any shooting and risk the legal hassles.

Id hate to shoot someone with a $1500 shotgun and the courts find a reason to keep it for evidence. I can stand to loose one of the $280 WInchesters.

You make a great point...

I own 4 firearms and I wouldn't want to part with any of them. A friend of mine threw a hammer at an intruder in his back yard. The police kept it for evidence then later destroyed it. The hammer had been in his family for 4 generations, nothing unique about it, but it was just cool that my friend had a hammer that his great grandfather used. Because my friend used it as a weapon the police saw fit to destroy it. This is life in California... sigh...

Is this a good idea?

For home defense I was thinking of having my first shot a dummy round, that way as soon as I hear someone in the house, I can fire off the dummy round in my bedroom and hopefully they will go running out house, however they don't remaining ammo in the tube will be hot loads.

Is there down side? I can really do any damage with a dummy round, right? Where are the flaws in my plan?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

just cut crimp off end of shell and pour out everything in front of wad and put it back in chamber. Myself would want a bunch of #1 Buchshot up front along with the extra mag extension for the SBEII so ya got some extra rounds for the crack heads!!:) Living in a large city will also change your view on home invasion and burglars it comes with its benefits which are sadly negative in our case here in ABQ.

i'm not sure i'd want a "dummy" in my shotgun....if i have to grab a gun i want it to go "boom" and i want it to be lethal.....just my 2 cents

reloading fast should be practiced by single, double, pump and auto loader shooters! I had a game warden visit me on the dove field one morning to check my benelli for a plug...he said, "it can't possibly have a plug in it as i was shooting 5-6 shots at incoming birds"....he checked it and it was indeed legal then I showed off my reloading skills and he was amazed, comes in handy in a gunfight too i would guess!

The part of LA I live in, doesn't have a problem with crack heads, but we have a HUGE problem with Armenians, there is a lot of murder for hire going on right now and sometimes they come to the wrong address and take out the wrong family than who they were hired to do. In the past year there have been 11 home invasion slayings all within a 10 mile radius of my home. There are also 200,000 people living in that same area, so odds are i'll be lucky and never have run into one of these guys, but ya never know and I want to be prepared.

The idea with the dummy is that as soon as I heard something fishy I could let off a boom, I don't have to wait to make visual contact.

I also ordered SOCOMguy's tube for the M4, so I'll have plenty of rounds left after I let off the dummy...

so what if your "dummy" round fails to cycle your M4????

a "dummy" round just don't sound like a "smart" thing to me.....but hey do what you like!!

my "dummy's" are ALL in a double stack .45 magazine behind the head board and a backup 9mm in my home office desk drawer!

Is this a good idea?

For home defense I was thinking of having my first shot a dummy round, that way as soon as I hear someone in the house, I can fire off the dummy round in my bedroom and hopefully they will go running out house, however they don't remaining ammo in the tube will be hot loads.

Is there down side? I can really do any damage with a dummy round, right? Where are the flaws in my plan?

Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Well...... you asked.......

The first flaw is firing off a "dummy" round. Unless you have a 5 lbs hammer in your gun that makes a ear ringing "click" when it hits the inert primer, you are not going to scare anyone unless they have bionic hearing. I would use blanks instead that makes a big boom- :)

...... no scratch that, I would go straight to #1 buck and make them all leaky and shortly then dead- remember the piece of shitte will do it again and it might be your sister or your mom's house next time. (ok, ok sgt cathy- OR your brother/dad) :D

T-H

"Viva Itaila!"

Keep in mind I live in California... where they don't hesitate to arrest people who are defending themselves. We have jury's that think anyone who owns a gun is a crazy nut, and that criminals are all good people who just need to be rehabilitated.

It sucks here...

So I thought a dummy round aka blank, not a snap cap...

would be a good way to get them out of the house and keep me out of trouble, if they don't leave I'll still have 6 shots left.

As far as the .45 goes, I do have a Glock .45 ready to go, and yet again another crappy California law, I can't have a mag that can accept more than 10 rounds. My back up is a Ruger .357 Revolver in the den. I am sure before long hollow points will be illegal in California before too long, it's been up for debate before.

This is my set-up. I have 2 large canisters of OC/CS spray in my bedstand. The first one just goes "Pppsssst" and nothing actually comes out (my dummy spray). If that doesn't work, the second can actually sprays OC/CS. Okay.....I made that up. I have one can of OC/CS and my back-up is a full size .45 automatic.

Although I can understand the "good will" portion of using a blank round, my life time experience being am Army MP and Ferderal Law Enforcement Sergeant has been NO WARNING SHOTS! My few and limited brain cells are hardwired that way. If I honestly feel the need to place a firearm in my hand, then Playtime is over! And that's what I will be telling the judge and jury.

Naturally, plan "C" involes some type of bayonet interaction and my Defense M1 S90. I've started using industrial rubber bands to hold the bayonet on. :eek:

SgtCathy

Cape Cod

I personally wouldn't have a dummy round.

In theory, it's not a terrible idea, but it's too risky.

If you only have time for one shot, you're screwed.

As for the laws, I can see your point, but it's always easier to tell your side of the story when the other side can't contradict you ;).

As for the laws, I can see your point, but it's always easier to tell your side of the story when the other side can't contradict you ;).

Hahaha, best thing I read all day...

So it sounds like the Dummy Round idea wasn't the worst idea in the world but there seem to be a lot of things that could go wrong... Thanks for your help guys and gals!!!

Great idea sarge on the rubber bands, you can stick it in between a couple of their ribs and bend your gun to one side and let go ......... TWANGGGGGGGG! Just like a roadrunner cartoons and it will cause extra internal damage.

On the serious side I belive the same thing Cathy said, you should not pull a gun or knife unless the threat is in your face (i. e. in your house) and when you do pull it out get to work- no dummies/blanks/flares/CS/bean bags/rubber bullets/"Please don't hurt me Mr. home invader" greeting cards- it is time to get in the zone and answer a very important question..... Which is more important to me? My families lives and my own, or some human trash's life and some questions from the judge?

As always I reccomend moving south/east. We have plenty of room, booming economies and respect the right to defend yourself. On the down side we also have Tucker, but don't let that stop you. Come on over!

On that note- there is one use for having a dummy 'round, If you had Tucker 'round, you could throw him at the bad guys and he would spout inane drivel at them- at the very least giving you time to escape, if not fully incapacitating them with blinding headaches, uncontrollable vomiting, and severe hemoraging from the eyes and ears. :D

Love ya Tucker! Mean it! :)

TH

Here, we don't have "home defense" guns... You need a special permit to buy pistols and you need to call the firearms centre everytime you want to shoot with it. Semi automatic firearms are also limited to 5 rounds mags... It really s*cks... Anyway, an home defense gun would be kinda useless. If I was living in Montreal or Quebec, maybe I'd buy one but I don't...

Here, we don't have "home defense" guns... You need a special permit to buy pistols and you need to call the firearms centre everytime you want to shoot with it. Semi automatic firearms are also limited to 5 rounds mags... It really s*cks... Anyway, an home defense gun would be kinda useless. If I was living in Montreal or Quebec, maybe I'd buy one but I don't...

Well seems par for the course for Canada... In the USA we fought for our independence from the UK, King George was oppressive and tried to take our guns away. It's for that very reason why guns are a protected right in our constitution.

As for Canada you never fought for your independence, you waited until the Queen didn't want you anymore and to this day you put her ugly mug on your money. Your tradition is to roll over for an oppressive government, so it's no surprise that you can only have 5 round mags, have to call the govt. every time you want to use your handgun and pay for expensive training classes, etc.