Self Defense?

Mrserenity

Well seems par for the course for Canada... In the USA we fought for our independence from the UK, King George was oppressive and tried to take our guns away. It's for that very reason why guns are a protected right in our constitution.

As for Canada you never fought for your independence, you waited until the Queen didn't want you anymore and to this day you put her ugly mug on your money. Your tradition is to roll over for an oppressive government, so it's no surprise that you can only have 5 round mags, have to call the govt. every time you want to use your handgun and pay for expensive training classes, etc.

Ouch!

It's true though.

• 1 year later...
Guest MarkWilson

I heard that we can keep firearms in our house,without any kind of license in some states of USA. Is that true ? Can someone give me list of states where firearm laws are not tight. thanks :)

I heard that we can keep firearms in our house,without any kind of license in some states of USA. Is that true ? Can someone give me list of states where firearm laws are not tight. thanks :)

What do you mean by tight?

Here in Illinois you have to have FOID card. There is CCW but only where you live or if someone allows you to on there land.

Here we can own whatever, but full auto.

Here you have to be 18 to buy a long gun and 21 to own a hand gun

Here you have to wait 24 hours for a long gun and 72 hours for a handgun.

Here for hunting you can only be able to load 3 rounds in a shotgun and 10 rounds for rifle and handgun.

We are tight here, but not as tight as others.

It's very dependent by state.

WI:

Rifle or Shotgun, instant background check if purchased from FFL (No waiting period)

48 hour waiting period for pistol purchase from FFL

(No wait or background check for private firearm sales)

No state magazine size limit

Full auto, SBR, SBS, Supressor, AOW, and Destructive Devices allowed (Pistol caliber Full-auto restricted a bit, no incendiary DD IIRC)

No concealed carry, but WI constitution protected open carry.

Not horribly restrictive, but there are more gun friendly states out there...

BTW - Nice forum you have here, been lurking for a while.;)

As for Canada you never fought for your independence, you waited until the Queen didn't want you anymore and to this day you put her ugly mug on your money. Your tradition is to roll over for an oppressive government, so it's no surprise that you can only have 5 round mags, have to call the govt. every time you want to use your handgun and pay for expensive training classes, etc.

Too funny, but true...

Personally, I have my supernova with seven shells of Law Enforcement 00 in the corner of my bedroom, 9mm in the night stand with 15 rounds of Hydrashok, a trapdoor in the foyer with "custom made" fecal-smeared punji sticks, and some proximity mines stuck along the stairway (gotta remember to turn those off if the wife has a craving for a late night snack, or anytime I take the dog out. Boy that would be a mess).

Wife thinks I over do it, but you gotta stay safe around these parts.

(Disclaimer - Had wrist surgery today and vicodin is making me loopy. Turns out I wasn't ready for the 3.5"s)

Ohio is not too bad except for within the city limits of Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Toledo. They have their own laws and restrictions. For me it was an instant background check for my Benelli M4, Sig P226SCT, and Rock River AR15 and I took them home the same day with ammo. There is a state ban on magazines with a capacity in excess of 32 rounds although it does not appear to be enforced. You can buy drum mags at all the gun shows but I don't think I would pull one out at the public range. There are plenty of indoor and outdoor ranges and some of the state parks actually have nice outdoor ranges. Full auto and suppressed weapons are available. Most people buy them through trusts or corporations as the local LEO most likely will not sign the Federal Paperwork. No restrictions on where you can keep your guns and Ohio recently passed a Castle Doctrine law for home defense.

About.com has a repository of gun laws by State:

http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/Gun_Laws_by_State.htm

Edited by OhioM4

There is a state ban on magazines with a capacity in excess of 32 rounds although it does not appear to be enforced. You can buy drum mags at all the gun shows but I don't think I would pull one out at the public range.

Funny. Sounds like you can own them but not use them. Illinois has a dumb rule that we can own spring loaded knifes but we can't carry them. We can even buy them can the local Surplus store. Its illegal to take them home in your car though.

Caligvla

I see only one flaw in your plan. Some one burst into your safe location just as you pick up your "dummy" loaded gun. Now you're standing in front of an armed intruder (who believes you to be armed) with an empty gun. You'd need to clear that "dummy" round out of the weapon before you could engage him unless you were using a double barreled gun with double triggers.

I don't want to seem harsh but it sound like the "dummy" round isn't the only "dummy" in this scenario.

If you're serious about defending yourself and your family, the object isn't to scare some one. If you lack the will to carry out such actions or are afraid of the consequences, I suggest you move some place where you'll never be put in that position. When you find such a place, let me know.

DumbDuck

Funny. Sounds like you can own them but not use them...

You can legally own the gun. You can legally own the high capacity magazine. They can sit in the closet together. It's not a problem until you put the loaded magazine into the gun. As far as the State of Ohio is concerned, you just created a "Dangerous Ordnance" which is forbidden!

Honestly officer...it's just a novelty 100 round paperweight!

a coachgun would be good,,add a back up pistol would be wise or just use an an 8 shot Benelli m1 super 90/with 000

GAH.. im so tired of people talking about all this home defense junk. My .22 LR can chase off a theif! I just dont understand what all of these "defense" junkies are preparing for!!! Zombies??? Terrorist invasion??? Freddy Krueger?? im just confused. A single shotshell should be more than enough to take out any assailant. My supernova could do it no prob... just as any pistol, rifle, bazooka,flamethrower or raygun could. (sorry about the raygun)

I think the perceived threat is multiple assailants or looting as the result of riots. Apparently if you shoot enough people nearby, you can stack their corpses into a wall to hide behind. I'm leaning towards an integrally suppressed 22 at this point because I don't want someone in the mob yelling "Hey that guy over there is shooting people!"

well im glad i didnt get a rude response because i really didnt mean to be rude. I am just curious as to why everyone prepares for this big in-home war that will probably never happen. If it does happen, my .22 lr has plenty of bullets to go around. No need in spending all this money on tactical stocks, breech chokes, and extended mags. Just get ya a couple of bullets and lay em beside ya bed man.

I suggest seeking training for low light close quarters combat. Many of the older weapons will work okay for a static fight. However, if I bring you into a confined area such as your house at night how you commonly light your home and ask you to defend your position with a coach gun, you may find it difficult to ID your target before sending them to their maker.

I don't even like my SBR, let alone a 18.5" Benelli in close quarters where doors and other barriers must be navigated. For this, a uber reliable handgun with an attached weapon light is the best option. In your other hand should be a hand held flash light. Pick a caliber and an ammo that is easy to control, since you may be firing on handed and in difficult positions.

Robberies rarely start like in a gay brinks commercial. They don't beat your door down in a mask. They knock on your door and ask for assistance. Better criminals indicate that they are the police. Use of a phone or faked emergency. Are you going to answer your door dragging your double barrel? Unlikely. You think you can swing a double barrel at arms reach of an attacker and make a shot?

A smart move is to get yourself a steel security door. That will allow you to speak to whoever is there with a barrier between you. They usually cannot see in, but you can see out.

A holstered pistol or a pistol in hand out of sight is the better option.

ORRR you can buy a car with all the saved money you will have if you DONT get all those things.

you could just get a flashlight and some cheap ammo for your gun that you already have. i guarentee that will kill someone if needed. Me personally, i would like to wound. That way i can beat the **** out the person(s) that tried to come in my house.

GAH.. im so tired of people talking about all this home defense junk. My .22 LR can chase off a theif! I just dont understand what all of these "defense" junkies are preparing for!!! Zombies??? Terrorist invasion??? Freddy Krueger?? im just confused. A single shotshell should be more than enough to take out any assailant. My supernova could do it no prob... just as any pistol, rifle, bazooka,flamethrower or raygun could. (sorry about the raygun)

Well kittens this is a classic case of risk management. Some people want to protect themselves against any conceivable scenario ie multiple attackers, breakdown of society etc. All things that could happen but aren't likely. For me I compromise, I have my regular 28" M2 with a 7 shot capacity and a few dozen rounds of buckshot/slugs. I have a plan for defending my house that does not involve house hunting but rather camping out and letting them come to me. SOOO if a gang of robbers is determined enough to come armed well enough or in enough numbers that they could get to me through a choke-point while I'm spraying them with ~50 rounds of buckshot/slugs, well they are in it to win it and I don't mind admitting that I was bested in that scenario. Now the probability of that scenario actually happening is somewhere very close to 0, so I'm not going to lose sleep over that possibility.

I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH THOSE STATEMENT! That is exactly what im talking about! My point was about "defense" guns. My benelli turkey buster W/28in bbl would kill a man just as your M2 will. I just dont see the point in tactical stocks, breech chokes, flashlight mounts, Tactical sights, lasers, mag extensions, etc. If I cant kill 3 men with 5 buckshot/slugs I am in trouble from the start!

I keep 12 turkey loads (1 box #6 and 1 box #4) just for hunting. But if it comes down to it, ill gladely blow someones face off. But i also just came out of deer season so I have about 7 Brenneke black magic (600 grain!) slugs beside my bed along with some 00 buck busters just incase i see a coyote and dont wanna waste my slugs! haha.. but once again, if I have to use those 00's or the slugs, I WILL!

But its not that I dont believe in protecting ones house. I just dont believe in spending an AAAAASSSS TON of money in doing so. No one needs training. No one needs fancy equipment. I would actually prefer if it was pitch dark. I believe i know my house a bit better than some common thief. I dont need any special training or practice to put a bullet through someone..especially when my gun shoots MANY projectiles...

It's just that it's more of a hobby than practicality. Most of the people here on these forums have probably never been and will never be a victim of a home invasion. It's just something to pass the time and spend your money on. If you like it, and it makes you happy then do it. If that requires buying a M4, putting optics on it, a different rail with a flashlight, and all other sorts of nonsense then so be it. It makes them happy so it's really not a waste in the end now is it :p

Think of it like buying a sports care, you'll rarely get a chance to take it to full speed... but you have it!

I HAVE ZERO PROBLEMS WITH THOSE STATEMENT! That is exactly what im talking about! My point was about "defense" guns. My benelli turkey buster W/28in bbl would kill a man just as your M2 will. I just dont see the point in tactical stocks, breech chokes, flashlight mounts, Tactical sights, lasers, mag extensions, etc. If I cant kill 3 men with 5 buckshot/slugs I am in trouble from the start!

I keep 12 turkey loads (1 box #6 and 1 box #4) just for hunting. But if it comes down to it, ill gladely blow someones face off. But i also just came out of deer season so I have about 7 Brenneke black magic (600 grain!) slugs beside my bed along with some 00 buck busters just incase i see a coyote and dont wanna waste my slugs! haha.. but once again, if I have to use those 00's or the slugs, I WILL!

But its not that I dont believe in protecting ones house. I just dont believe in spending an AAAAASSSS TON of money in doing so. No one needs training. No one needs fancy equipment. I would actually prefer if it was pitch dark. I believe i know my house a bit better than some common thief. I dont need any special training or practice to put a bullet through someone..especially when my gun shoots MANY projectiles...

GAH.. im so tired of people talking about all this home defense junk.

hey KITTENS!! think of it this way, as a hobby. some people collect and tinker with their star trek stuff, motorcycles old muscle cars etc. they never really use the stuff they collect due to it has no practicle use, but they like collecting it and tinkering with it. yeah yeah i know you can use a motorcycle and car too, but the high performance bike and car never get used like it should by the average owner, racers yes. just like tactical shotguns dont get used like they are designed for other than LEO etc. but we like them. and it never hurts to be tactically prepared!! especially with this JACK-A$$ administration!!;) you never know, MAD MAX TIME could be here sooner than you know!!:D

hey KITTENS!! think of it this way, as a hobby. some people collect and tinker with their star trek stuff, motorcycles old muscle cars etc. they never really use the stuff they collect due to it has no practicle use, but they like collecting it and tinkering with it. yeah yeah i know you can use a motorcycle and car too, but the high performance bike and car never get used like it should by the average owner, racers yes. just like tactical shotguns dont get used like they are designed for other than LEO etc. but we like them. and it never hurts to be tactically prepared!! especially with this JACK-A$$ administration!! you never know, MAD MAX TIME could be here sooner than you know!!

...Oh ya, Thats who you look like.:cool:

Mad-Max.jpg?t=1264822134

Waste money? what else are you gonna do... horde it? so when you die the gov't can take it? or give it to your kids... so they can waste it? live some man. you can take your defense gun out to the range, you can't drive a model car.

gun is to home def gun as model car is to sports car, is incorrect...

it'd be more like gun is to home def gun as economy car is to sports car...

and trucks are meant for hauling or off roading. There main function isn't to go 55 MPH.

welp.. thats why I own a truck. I figure if the speed limits 55 then theres no need in gettin something that would go 160...

By all means. Defense guns look pretty sweet when they are put together. But so does a model car. They are both used about the same...but people still waste money on both.