Need everyones opinion on their optics!

tdaniel377

I have been using red dots for turkey hunting for about 12 years and would not go back to open sights. Started out with the 30mm, Bushnel makes a good one, however I did not like the bulk and awkwardness of it. Last 3 years I have been using a tru-glo tru-point open red dot, only weighs two ounces and works good. Both of these require drilling and taping or a saddle mount. I'm using a M2 with a saddle mount at present, however I went to Burris's web sight and clicked on ,New for 08, they have their new Fast Fire open red dot sight mounted on the shim that goes between the stock and reciever, they have models for all the Benellis, pretty clever. Midway USA expects them in Feb. 29, I will have one on my M2 before I go to Fla.

I am not a big fan of optics for ANY shotgun and have used fiber optic sites for many moons on ALL of my shotguns for both turkey and deer. My reason for this is based on several considerations, my shots are seldom over 20 yards and without optics I don't have to worry about lens' fogging up or getting wet....I had lasik surgery a few years ago to get rid of my eye glasses for the same reason (fog & wet lens')!!!

Having said that I recently picked up a used Encore Shotgun barrel with a Nikon Turkey Pro scope on it and may give it a go this spring. This scope has an interesting reticle design that they claim helps one determine the distance to the target (turkey's head) and if you are into taking 40 yard shots this would be the perfect scope. Having shot ground hogs for years here in Ohio with a 22-250 at ridiculous distances before laser range finders judging distance to a 500+ yard whistle pig was always a bit challenging unless one learned to use his reticles to determine distance. The Nikon Turkey Pro does this by giving the shooter a 40 yard sized window for turkey sized targets.

I have shot a few shotguns with red dot's but the idea of having a battery operated unit on my gun does not appear to me.....fiber optics NEVER fail and NEVER fog!!!

I looked at a few shotgun scopes and some red dot sights at the local Bass Pro today.I think if I put anything other than the fiber optic sights that I already have on my shotgun,it will probably be a red dot sight,mainly because of the eye relief and the field of view.I looked at the bushnell and the Redhead brand red dots.I liked both of them but the Redhead brand dot was fuzzy,(it was the 4reticle model)even on the lower power,plus the dial for the reticle change quit working.The Bushnell was pretty nice,had a choice of 4 reticles,plus you could change from red to green dot on all reticles.The green is alot easier to look past at your target.I dont know how the green would work in spring time with the surroundings being green also.

td, i've been playing around with a couple of "green" lasers on my M&P .45acp and have learned that our eyes actually see green better than red under many different environmental conditions. Don't have any expereice with the optics you are looking at but based on what I've seen with "green" lasers they should work very well.

a friend has a BSA red dot on his turkey rig and I have actually shot it....has the clearest lense i've looked thru! I think he told me it was less than $50 new......here's a link;

http://www.bsaoptics.com/scope.aspx?product=106

Good luck!

I used to buy every new whiz bang gadget that came out to get that little extra edge. Years of experience lead me to believe that simple is good and no amount of technology will ever take the place of woodsmanship. I use white out on the factory bead of my shotgun (I am cheap too). The batteries never need replaced and the lens never fogs.

I have been using a scope on my turkey gun since 1992, and have loved this set up ever since.

I'm shooting a Winchester 1300 NWTF 1992 edition model that never shot to the point of aim. It always shot "high left" with any shell I put through it. Hence, that was the main reason going to a scope. All you have to do is dial in the reticle to the very center of your pattern and your done. I also prefer the sight picture from using a scope VS open or fiber optic sights. I've heard some great reviews on Red Dots, especially the Aimpoints. To each his own on the preferred method of aiming a shotgun.